The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2018, 08:36 PM   #1
White halftrack

Original truck radio?

I am looking for an original radio for my 1987 gmc. I found this on a shelf in with a bunch of tractor parts. Any thoughts?
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

White halftrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:57 PM   #2
donw1986

Re: Original truck radio?

Looks just like mine in my 86
donw1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:19 AM   #3
White halftrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by donw1986 View Post
Looks just like mine in my 86
Thanks for responding. I will pick it up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-29-2018, 12:01 PM   #4
Jeepwm69

Get it.

Wish my original had cassette. I took my original AM/FM out in the early 90's and put in a Pioneer. Over the years it has decided to work when it wants to. It will only play tapes (no radio) and the display doesn't work anymore.

Been thinking about putting my original AM/FM radio back in and hooking up an AUX input to it.
Jeepwm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:49 PM   #5
andyh1956

Hey that's cool! Hope you been savin all your old Lynyrd Skynyrd cassettes!
Be advised on those old raios there is a trimmer for the antenna that needs adjusted before you complete the install.
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:56 PM   #6
White halftrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh1956 View Post
Hey that's cool! Hope you been savin all your old Lynyrd Skynyrd cassettes!
Be advised on those old raios there is a trimmer for the antenna that needs adjusted before you complete the install.
Great info. I did not know that. I will try to look up how to do that.

Thanks everyone.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-30-2018, 12:46 PM   #7
andyh1956

I used to have a White Halftrack, an M16. Had an M2 Autocar & an M15 Diamond T. Glad those beasts went to live someplace else!
Old 07-01-2018, 04:05 AM   #8
Danmcg

Quote:
Trimmer? Can you explain what and how? Thanks.
Danmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:04 PM   #9
andyh1956

On old radios there is an adjustment to "Trim" the antenna to the radio for optimum reception, has to do with different antenna lengths.
There will be a small slotted screw someplace on the radio body below the skin in a hole. It most likely will have a sticker over it denoting it as such.
With the radio warmed up & on the AM dial set the tuner close to, oh crap brain fart- I think a 1600 station & adjust the screw for optimum strength & crispness to the ear!
I'll have to check on the optimum station setting I have an old AM/FM 8 Track up in the barn that should have a sticker on it.
People say it has no effect on FM reception but it can't hurt!
Update!- I can't find my radio, son n law says I sold it at Pate last spring. Can't believe I'd do that!

Last edited by andyh1956; 07-01-2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:23 PM   #10
White halftrack

Quote:
On old radios there is an adjustment to "Trim" the antenna to the radio for optimum reception, has to do with different antenna lengths.
There will be a small slotted screw someplace on the radio body below the skin in a hole. It most likely will have a sticker over it denoting it as such.
With the radio warmed up & on the AM dial set the tuner close to, oh crap brain fart- I think a 1600 station & adjust the screw for optimum strength & crispness to the ear!
I'll have to check on the optimum station setting I have an old AM/FM 8 Track up in the barn that should have a sticker on it.
People say it has no effect on FM reception but it can't hurt!
Update!- I can't find my radio, son n law says I sold it at Pate last spring. Can't believe I'd do that!
Great info. Thanks for posting that. I looked at the rpo code for my truck and it shows I should have a cassette player digital with scan. Never seen one but will pick this other one up while I continue to look. I guess I just like original as I can get. I am even going to reinstall smog setup on my 454. It will not have much power I know but this truck will just be a hunting fishing truck for my 11 yo son and I. Hope it has enough power to haul a couple deer. I just like original.

I spent 4 years pulling trailers for an agricultural business with a reg cab 4x4 I think one ton with a 6.2 diesel in the early 90s. I loved that truck. Manual tranny. Never lacked for power and I loved that when I lowered a trailer on it it never sank like the others in the fleet. Wasn’t fast but slow and steady wins.

Yes my handle is for a 1941 White halftrack. It is an m2.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2018, 06:03 PM   #11
rideair

Does anyone know of someone that will restore an original radio but add to the all ready existing four speaker outputs, and input (for Bluetooth) and 4 aux-ports to hook-up a four-way amp?

In my Suburban I have one of the cheap Autosounds. Has all the ports I need, but would love to have the original look again,
rideair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:38 PM   #12
Flbagged10

Man I wish I could get me a original radio for my 86 I just got a uncut bezel for one now I gotta get the radio to match
Flbagged10 is offline   Reply With Quote