The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-26-2018, 09:06 PM   #1
cerial

Fuel tank wiring

I have a 87 v10 with a 5.7 and dual tanks. The passenger tank had a hole busted into it with a couple pounds of mud when I got the thing. The drivers looks to have been replaced 10-15 years ago but that is also showing signs of rust and scraping.

I am putting a in cab tank into the truck from a 72(eec sealed tank that vents into canister) then having the fuel and vent line go through the floor and having the fuel T into the return line before feeding into a to a inline walbro pump.

Running on the drivers tank currently with the passenger tank long gone lines caped. But I want to clean out that wiring, lines, selector, and drop that drivers tank eliminating a small birds nest of wiring and fuel lines.

Tank is already in. I need to install the sending unit and wire it all up before eliminating all the unnecessary stuff.

My issue is powering the pump. I am thinking I can just run key on power to a fuse to a relay mounted above the pump and be good.

I think the computer will not care if the fuel turns on at key on off at key off. But if it does should I run it off the factory relay( think it is ten/brown going to the selector switch) to a second relay down by the pump. Secondary relay will be 40 amps ant 8" away from the pump allowing less drop.

Also;
I have a 72 sending unit for the 72 tank and want to retain my factory fuel gauge. Both the 72 and 87 are 90 ohms so I think I should be good.

Is there a wire (pink I think) going into the selector by the frame for the gauge or does the (pink and black and pink and white guess) wire both go to the dash?
1985 K20 Winter beater
1991 R30(squarebody) c/c flatbed towrig
1994 s10 80"wb custom build
cerial is offline   Reply With Quote