The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-09-2004, 03:30 PM   #1
guyryan100

engine removal basics

Ok, going to try to remove the 250 and the transmission (3 speed manual) from my '67 next weekend - need to know the basics. The front end has already been removed as well as all hoses, sensors, wiring, etc. I know I'll unbolt the mounts, disconnect the driveshaft, and lift out via engine hoist. But I dunno how to disconnect the driveshaft or how to connect the hoist to the engine. I plan to plop the engine/trany combo onto a couple of old tires until I find a permenant home for them.

Help!

--Ryan
guyryan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 03:37 PM   #2
1972ChevyGuy

Unbolt the 4 bolts on the driveshaft at the rear end. I always take off the 2 bolts holding the carrier bearing (for 2 peice driveshafts) You can then push the driveshaft foward and then pull it back out of the tranny. Just make sure the bearings on the rear end side of the driveshaft dont come loose. I wrap mine with 3-4 loops of black electrical tape. Make sure you have something to catch the oil that will drip from the end of the tranny.

They make plates now that bolt to the intake and have 2-3 holes in the top to hook a chain to. I've seen alot of people lift this way. When I yanked my 6 banger out I'm not sure where exactly I hooked the 4 bolts to but they were in each corner... lifted it out with a A-frame and a hoist.
1972ChevyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 04:14 PM   #3
71Rat
ran out of money

1972chevyguy is correct about the driveshaft... as for what we use to get engines in and out is an engine leveler... it has 4 chains coming off of it and u bolt those on to were the would fit the best and be somewhat spread out. then the hoist connect to that and u have an adjuster so you can tilt the engine or level it out. This is more expesive then the plate that 1972chevyguy is talking about.

Best of luck
Rat
Old 05-09-2004, 05:43 PM   #4
Stepsides 4Ever
Stepsides Are Bedder

When I pulled ours about a month ago I used bolt in the front of the engine (I think it was the thermostat housing bolt at the front of the block) and one of the bellhousing bolts with a load leveler I bought at Harbor Fright. A couple of lengths of chain will work, too, just be selective about where you attach them. Try to pick attachment points that will tend to center the weight of the engine/tranny so you can pull it pretty much straight out. You have the major part of the task done already by pulling off the front sheet metal...believe it or not, the rest of it is relatively easy because you have all the room you need to do the job.

Good luck, take your time, be careful, and have fun!
Stepsides 4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 09:07 PM   #5
guyryan100

So can I just remove these two bolts and put them back in, through the chain, with a couple of washers or will I need to use longer bolts to account for the chain thickness? How long should I expect the job to take?

Any pics of the bolt locations or a clarification on where to attach 'em?

One last question - can I complete the job in an evening after work or it is a Saturday job?

Thanks for the advise

Last edited by guyryan100; 05-09-2004 at 09:18 PM.
guyryan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 09:23 PM   #6
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

You should be able to pull it out in a afternoon....i doubt it will take more than a few hours if everything goes well
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 09:33 PM   #7
72C203503ONTHETREE

Use longer bolts and washers. If you have the tools, lift, and fluids drained, it will be a half hour job. I can have an engine out of a car in two hours or less with the body panels on, I've had plenty of practice, lol.

09 Challanger RT six speed in all black.

74 Datsun 710 wagon, all 1.8 liters of screaming Datsun power.

73 C10 long bed, 350/350 combo, nice shape.
72C203503ONTHETREE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 11:49 PM   #8
Johnny Outdoors
SOON TO BE A STEP SIDE

i just pulled my I6 today
here are some pics
the bolt in the rear is in a bell housing hole
the old shopping cart works great for short term storage
a supermarket closed by me and i got it out of a dumptser
good luck
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2004, 03:17 AM   #9
Stepsides 4Ever
Stepsides Are Bedder

If this is your first time, try not to have a deadline. It is really not all that difficult or time consuming, although it may seem that way only because you have never done it. But I know that thinking and planning about doing it is much more agonizing than actually going out there and doing it, so try to relax and enjoy it. Pulling off the front clip is actually more work than pulling the engine and tranny, and more time consuming...

For the full strength of a bolt, a rule of thumb is that you need to have at least 4 threads engaged. If it's a 3/8-16 bolt, that means 1/4" engagement minimum. Also, consider that you will be putting the bolt in a shear position (the load is at a right angle to the bolt), so that if you have 2 ea. 3/8" bolts you will have 3/4" of steel that you will have to shear before failure. I could do the research and tell you what the tensile strength is on a Grade 5 bolt, but trust me on this...it's just not going to be a concern with a 600lb. or so load, so don't worry. Also, keep in mind that most Class III trailer hitches have a 5/8" pin in shear on the hitch if that helps. You will not shear or break the bolts when the load is in shear.

However, with cast iron, which is friable (brittle), try not to put the bolt in a position such that the weight is pulling directly on the bolt...in other words, the load is not trying to pull the bolt out of the cast iron. The bolt won't fail, but the cast iron could. Keep the load in a shear position, which bolts are designed to handle, and you will be fine. Use the washers for insurance, but honestly you won't need them if you keep the bolts in a shear postion. Do you think the bolts will bend? If they were long enough, maybe, but again, not likely.

Take your time and you will be surprised at how quickly it goes. You can probably do it after work, but if things go wrong be willing to set the engine back down and have a go at it another day, just in case the unforeseeable happens. In all likelihood it won't, but I've learned over the years that most deadlines are artificial and made to be broken, so don't put yourself in that position. It can be a fun and rewarding effort, so relax and enjoy it! You're learning something! And, actually, the hard part (removing the front clip) is behind you, so...
Old 05-10-2004, 03:23 AM   #10
Stepsides 4Ever
Stepsides Are Bedder

Oh, yeah, when this is all over I want to hear you say...it wasn't as hard as I thought.
Old 05-10-2004, 02:58 PM   #11
grayw0lf

One word of advice.... "Pictures" Get a digital camera & go crazy. As good as your memory is, it always takes longer than anticipated for whatever reason. You will eventually forget where this or that hooked up to. Label if possible, but know that marker on tape will often rub off when it gets grease/oil/grime on it.

Digital pics have helped me out more than once. It takes a few variables out of the guessing game.

John
05' Dodge Neon
88' Winner Escape Sport 1750 - 4.3v6
94' Seadoo SP
84' Honda TRX200, bare nekkid. Just a frame & tires.

Always looking for another project or any good deal!

grayw0lf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 03:07 PM   #12
Stepsides 4Ever
Stepsides Are Bedder

Quote:
One word of advice.... "Pictures" Get a digital camera & go crazy.
Absolutely! Probably the most important thing of it all! Use the pictures for reference, as grayw0lf said...then, when your truck is *finished*, you'll have a record of where you began.