The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-10-2004, 10:51 PM   #1
pritch

Got my '68 panel home

Thank you, '68 Suburban, for being an honest, straight-up guy to deal with.

I had tow vehicle trouble on the way home from Pheonix, so I had to drive the panel the last 250 miles or so. It ran and drove great. I forgot how cool the three-on-the-tree was. It got 20 mpg over 250 miles of back road Utah. That little straight six keeps it up with traffic OK.

I have a couple questions today. I pulled one of the front wheels off to see how the brakes looked, and there were three 5/16 bolts that held the drum to the hub. I don't think I've ever seen this before. I undid the first one, thinking it was threaded into the hub, but then I heard the nut fall off inside the drum. I undo the other two, and same thing. I get the drum off, and I see a brake job in my near future. I decide to put everything back the way it was when I notice that there is no way (to my untrained eye) to hold those nuts in place while putting the drum back on. Could this all have been put together and installed as a unit? I don't see how. I'll take pictures of the other side when I take it apart.

The other thing is- The ignition switch does not seem to have an 'ACC' position. It all seems original, but if there was no radio, would they have put in a key switch like this?
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 12:36 AM   #2
1969 GMC

its been a while since i've driven my truck, but I remember the Acc. position being a slight turn to the left, instead of right.

Sorry I'm not much of a help...but, that sure is a nice panel! i hope you enjoy it.
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 12:57 AM   #3
breeh
Recovering 67-72 Addict

My 68 doesn't have an accessory position either. I think that this is normal for 68.

"Friends call me cruzer cuz I like fast cars and fast women"
breeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 04:00 AM   #4
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

My front hubs are still rivetted to the hub as they cam from the factory so you have to pull the drum and hub as one unit, it's a right PITA. Sounds like someone substituted bolts for the rivets maybe when the replaced the drums at some point. I believe that you dont actually need them as the wheel holds the drum on anyway. Next time mine are off the grinder is coming out to decapitate the rivets.

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 01:49 PM   #5
68 Suburban

Im glad that panel was up for the task. It is good that you got home safe
Old 05-11-2004, 03:34 PM   #6
neonlarry

What Lippyp said. They came from the factory rivited together, you had to pull hub to get drums of to do brakes. There is no real need for them to be attached just put the Nuts and bolts in your circular used parts bin.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 09:29 PM   #7
pritch

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonlarry
What Lippyp said. They came from the factory rivited together, you had to pull hub to get drums of to do brakes. There is no real need for them to be attached just put the Nuts and bolts in your circular used parts bin.
I guess I've never seen anyone bother putting bolts back in after removing the rivits. All I've seen is after the rivits are gone. I think that speaks to the maintenance this truck had over it's life.
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote