The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2004, 01:53 PM   #1
sider68

60 to 66 values

I tend to notice that from my own experience that these model years tend not to have the value as other years.The reason I,m asking is that I have the oppurtunity to pick up one fairly reasonable but don,t want to spend a whole pile of money on it and not be able to get anything in return should I decide ever to sell it.
Your comments are appreciated.
sider68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 11:42 AM   #2
Lgriffin

I'll try and answer your question. In any market there are good buys. What's reasonable in your neck of the woods may be over priced in another. On this board there is more traffic for 67-72 trucks than 60-66, on Chevytalk.org is the reverse. To a collector a car in original condition with all the options is worth more, than the Hotrod. What will it be worth six months from now, probably the same. What will it be worth five to ten years from now nobody knows. Rarely does anyone make money on cars as a hobby, some do. I prefer 60's and 70's 3/4 ton trucks. They have better brakes, Cheaper, and I can do all the work on them. If you want resale value buy a Mercedes or BMW. It really comes down to what YOU want.

Larry
68 C20 327 daily driver
63 C20 292 Camper truck
65 C10 ? Custom Cab AC,PB,PS,$flasher

Last edited by Lgriffin; 04-21-2004 at 11:49 AM.
Lgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 12:56 PM   #3
sider68

Thanks for that.I,ve seen 60 to 66 trucks here done up selling for under $6000 where a 67 to 72 could go up to 10 to 12.I wasn,t looking to make money but in the event something happenned where I had to sell,I,d rather have something that has more value.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:26 PM   #4
Seon

There's a lot of misconception on older vehicle when it comes to buying. Someone who has the ability to do their own mechanical and body/paint work can buy a project...do their "thing" and sell it for a profit.

In any market, buy "low" sell "high" .
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 01:53 AM   #5
southernmutt33

an just because you want to sell it doesnt mean anybody wants to buy it....might have it up for sale along time, or none at all. i tried to sell my 60 project truck locally for months, i couldnt give it away..ended up sellin it to a guy from the midwest, an i basically broke even on it......

if ya cant afford to buy it, then be hillbilly enough to build it, it's cheaper to build it anyway.....

be a man, stand up to your women an tell them your the boss, an if she dont like that, then ask her if she needs help around the house...

http://public.fotki.com/southernmutt33/

84 GMC 454, 3/4 soon to be a dually with one ton suspension.
60 1/2, lwb stepside..for sale
98 taurus, ugliest body stlye ford ever built, but dependable family car.
73 vistaliner, cab over, newest toy, reason for turnin 3/4 into 1 ton
southernmutt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 05:35 PM   #6
64fleetside

Not real sure why they don't bring more money. If you're looking to resell, do a 67-72. Hot sellers & cheaper to build. Brian
64fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 05:40 PM   #7
sider68

Like I said before,I,m not looking to make money by reselling.I,ve seen a few around that I think are reasonably priced but have been for sale forever.Just not that popular.I can get one really reasonable but don,t want to pour a pile of cash into it and have something that I couldn,t sell if I had to or trade.
Old 04-24-2004, 02:19 AM   #8
Lgriffin

My .02 again, Friday night kicked back and a few suds, long. Sider your assumption is probably good, go were the bucks are. How much money did those high dollar 67-72s have in them? If they paid to have the work done you will get one amount. If they did the work themselves you will get another amount, and it probably won't include their time. Why didn't they include their time because they enjoyed doing it.
Another consideration is maintenance. Old cars and trucks are high maintenance, ball joints, A arm bushings, cams, and on and on. One advantage of the 67-72s are they are still listed in most autoparts stores databases. If you crash a fender though your are competing with everyone else who thinks the 67-72 truck is the truck to have.
Here's an example. The last truck I bought was my 68, with 113K miles on it, 327 V8. The owner was asking $500. I thought that wasn't a bad price despite the 3 tone primer patches. For the most part it was pretty straight. Ther were some dings and dents under the primer patches. It's missing most of the chrome across the hood and down the fenders. There were some carburator problems. Even still for the for the price I thought it was a good deal might even make a little money on it. Almost any truck in the Silicon Valley, CA will sell for $2000. Seon might sympathise with me on this. Problem the truck had not been registered for five years. Went down to the DMV and ran a check on the VIN number, answer not in the database. Cool no back fees to pay. Bought the truck, PITA to get home, carburation is a problem. Disassembled the carburator, it was obivious fresh rebuild from some parts store. It also looked like the new kid on the assembly line did the rebuild, bent up air tubes on the Quadrajet. Bought another carb off Ebay $45, put a kit in it. Dropped in an HEI, I'd got in a deal on another truck. Truck now runs and starts every time. Time to register it, went down to the DMV. Stood inline for an hour, got to the window and gave them the pink slip signed over to me. The clerk runs the VIN number and says "Do you want to pay the late fees?". I'm thinking there are none and say "OK". The clerk says "That will be $852". OUCH!!!! Seems when I checked on the truck a month earlier that activated the record, DAMN. OK, I'm still not into it too bad. The trucks still not performing quite right, pops thru the carb when you put your foot to it. Most noticeable when tuning it and you slam the throttle open. I'll adjust the valves. I pull the valve covers off and I go to #1 to adjust. That doesn't look right, it's not moving up and down like it should. I look at the other valves and a third are not moving like they should. #*$&@), Cams gone, ordered a cam. Got the cam and a day later, new cam and lifters, runs great. End of long story, I might reasonably break even if I was to sell it now. So I'll drive it for a while. It's a nice truck now, runs good, rides better than my 63. There's a problem with the clutch I haven't quite figured out yet. When it's cold, the bucks like an #%$$, unless I run the RPMs up to about 3 grand. That's one of the reasons I still prefer to drive 63 with the big 292 six. That big six has so much bottom end torque, I can pull tree stumps at idle.
I guess what I'm trying to say Sider is buy what YOU want. You don't know what your getting into with an old truck or car. Consider what it's going to cost you to keep it running. If you buy what you want then when you have to put money into it, you may not feel as bad. How much work are you going to do it and how much are you going to pay to have done. IF your going to put money in it, you'd better find out how much was in those high dollar trucks. The only truck or car that I know that will sell for top dollar anytime, any where is the original low mileage, all options. The alternative is the low mileage Grandparents car. It's usually cheap and well maintained.

Larry
68 C20 327 daily driver
63 C20 292 Camper truck
65 C10 ? Custom Cab AC,PB,PS,$flasher
Lgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 12:22 PM   #9
sider68

Thanks Larry.Think my next project will be something somebody has put alot of time/money into.(saving me from doing it)My last projects got sold part way through to pay for something around my house.Plus I,ve got a couple young kids and its impossible to get anything done with them around.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:46 PM   #10
Seon

That's the problem with projects...we buy with good intentions but in reality, unless one has time, garage space, tools and most important..money, lots of projects are never completed.
In comparison a person would be better off buying a driver rather than a project.

Let's do a guess-ta-ment if you bought a project:
Cost of project: $1000
Body & paint: $3000
Engine?Tranny $3000
Interior: $1500
Total: $8500

Man, you can get a turn key truck for less than that.
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 05:30 PM   #11
sider68

You forgot to add in time,gas and travel etc.I bought a truck for $600 then it was parts,car shows,advertisingto buy/sell,tools and building a garage.I gave up on the truck and haven,t finished the inside of my shop (which is costing me extra on taxes).The list goes on and on.
Plus after you get your project done,you end up selling it after a couple of years while it still looks good before you end up doing it all over.
Old 05-06-2004, 07:10 PM   #12
65FLTC10

Hmmmmmmmm...........Sider68..........Newmarket, EH???
If ya give me the addreSS..........I'II hop on down from Orillia and give ya MY opinion!......ololollll

Roy
'65 C10, 283, auto, Fleetside (Cali')
65FLTC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 10:28 AM   #13
sider68

65FLT I,d wouldn,t mind meeting another member. I did see one in the Shopper for around 12G this week.I was looking at a local one but never heard back from the guy yet.Don,t know what my next project is yet.Hopefully i,ll have something before Burle Creek.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:50 AM   #14
southernmutt33

personally i think my next project is going to be a driver when i get it...it seems like i always get a project truck or car that needs work, an then life gets in the way of the plans...so i think for my next one im going to drive it home...on the 60 i just sold i had the money in my pocket to get it up an running, then life came along an messed up the plans i had, an most of the money got spent on buying the motor for it.....so the messed up the budget i had an once the money run out i had to let it sit....so if i could buy one that is already running then i could do the body an everything on the weekends but still be able to drive it to work the following week.....

if ya cant afford to buy it, then be hillbilly enough to build it, it's cheaper to build it anyway.....

be a man, stand up to your women an tell them your the boss, an if she dont like that, then ask her if she needs help around the house...

http://public.fotki.com/southernmutt33/

84 GMC 454, 3/4 soon to be a dually with one ton suspension.
60 1/2, lwb stepside..for sale
98 taurus, ugliest body stlye ford ever built, but dependable family car.
73 vistaliner, cab over, newest toy, reason for turnin 3/4 into 1 ton
southernmutt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 11:57 AM   #15
sider68

I know where you are coming from.I,ve had projects I got deep into and dismantled the vehicles and tried to do a perfect job.In the meantime others were just driving theirs and having fun.I think that is what I,ll do next.And yes life does creep into the way,the house,kids or wife always need something.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:24 PM   #16
65FLTC10

Sider68,
I'II be down to Burl's Creek (Barrie Automotive Flea Market) I'II be at a spot in the infield with a Buddy of mine. He'II have his '64 Chev Step-side 4X4 (mounted on '80 chassis there for sale) You can't miss it. It's painted that beautiful '66 light blue colour, VERY straight (Western truck) and sittin' pretty......stop in for a cold pint!!!!
Roy
Old 05-11-2004, 11:20 AM   #17
sider68

What is he asking for that?
Old 05-12-2004, 11:09 AM   #18
65FLTC10

he's asking $14,500 certified/E-tested (not your average run-of-the-mill trucks)
Roy
Old 05-12-2004, 11:12 AM   #19
sider68

No its not and he probaly has more than that into it.Doesn,t have to be E TESTED though.Colour will probaly hurt him unless somebody is into it.