The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-27-2018, 10:50 PM   #1
Originalthor

Help with a vin

Good day. So I'm in kind of a bind you could say I dragged a couple of trucks out of a friend's field. One they plated 25 years ago the other was bought at a auction and never plated by them and just drove around the farm. So my kicker is the one I got a bill of sale for is a write off and needs two inspections and the other vin they insurance company won't tell me nothing about it without a bill of sale. I've done a couple of vin searches and get invalid vin number. I live in Saskatchewan Canada. I want to build one truck out of the two but don't want to build this truck twice. Once to factory specs to pass inspection and then second time to build it better. Coil overs LS swap stuff like that.
Anywho this is the vin C9E1481100795 anybody got a direction to go with this. Thanks
Originalthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:09 PM   #2
jocko

Re: Help with a vin

Well, I don't have a good answer for you, but some of our northern brethren might be better suited than we southerners to tell you what you're in for when trying to pull one over on the po po in Canada. Have sold a truck up that and you'd have thought they suspected the guy of smuggling drugs. Can't imagine this would be a good long term plan - i.e. build to pass, then rebuild to suit. ?? Is it a one time inspection, as in forever? Or maybe I'm mis-interpreting your intent.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:19 PM   #3
Originalthor

It's a one time inspection. It just sucks cause the bad vin truck is in way better shape and is torn apart in the garage. I got a build page going on the progress. I'm just finally starting to work on it again.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:32 PM   #4
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalthor View Post
Good day. So I'm in kind of a bind you could say I dragged a couple of trucks out of a friend's field. One they plated 25 years ago the other was bought at a auction and never plated by them and just drove around the farm. So my kicker is the one I got a bill of sale for is a write off and needs two inspections and the other vin they insurance company won't tell me nothing about it without a bill of sale. I've done a couple of vin searches and get invalid vin number. I live in Saskatchewan Canada. I want to build one truck out of the two but don't want to build this truck twice. Once to factory specs to pass inspection and then second time to build it better. Coil overs LS swap stuff like that.
Anywho this is the vin C9E1481100795 anybody got a direction to go with this. Thanks
If the 9 wasn't there it would make sense to me as --
C = 2WD
E = V8
1 = Half Ton
4 = Stepside
8 = 1968 MY
1 = Oshawa Canada built
100795 build sequence

Can your friend write you out a bill-of-sale?

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 08-27-2018 at 11:41 PM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:44 PM   #5
Originalthor

Bingo that was the ticket and ditching the 9. Came up right away to screw me even more lol. It is a dismantled vin so truck was sold as parts and can never be registered.

I guess I'm finding a body shop tomorrow to see how much I can do to the frame modifications. It's bone straight so that's the least of my worries.

Thanks for quick help guys.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:48 PM   #6
Originalthor

Wonder why the 9 is in there. I would post a picture of the vin but I'm on the phone and would need to resize it
Old 08-28-2018, 12:02 AM   #7
bruceman1968

The 9 denotes GMC.

Name:  DAcanada.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  63.8 KB
Old 08-29-2018, 07:36 PM   #8
ratty69

If Saskatchewan does things anything like B.C., you'd be better off building the rough one with good title.

The safety inspection part is the same. Here, you have to have bill of sale for every major component. Then they'll issue you a provincially assigned vin. Oh, hope your spid is still in the glove box. They demand TWO publicly visible vins, one door tag isn't enough.

I wouldn't pay anything close to full value for a provincially titled vehicle, but that's just me.

Your friend COULD give you a bill of sale if he bought it from a legit auction, right? Then none of this would be necessary.
ratty69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:04 PM   #9
chewychevy67

I would just get a bill of sale from your friend and try to insure it now before you build it. Can't see why that wouldn't work being you did get it from him.
chewychevy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:32 PM   #10
dagnabbitt

You are in hands down the best province in Canada for what you are trying to do. Your provincial inspections are quite easygoing: nothing like Alberta or BC. I bought the 1959 Apache in my avatar in Regina, it's built on a 1997 Tahoe chassis. No problems.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:48 AM   #11
Originalthor

So I got buddies dad to write a bill of sale for the other truck and it was a no go. They said that the truck we sold for parts only.

Glove box was missing. But sanding away on my frame I found 3 spots with vin stamped in it so should be ok there.

I just got to hit up a body shop and see how much I can do to the frame before I get in trouble. Really at the end of the day it's going to be better then new.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:50 AM   #12
chewychevy67

Your lucky you have frame stampings. My 67 gmc doesn't have any. 67 were wierd that way.
chewychevy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 01:03 AM   #13
Originalthor

I was quite surprised to find 3. One at power steering pump and two right by drivers seat. One on top other on side.
Now what shop do go to. There's only 4 here that do body integrity inspections. Only really heard good things about two of them. Although one is in a building that the company I work for owns it so maybe they might be a little more open to on what I can do and can't and not screw me over in the end. But better be talking to the boss and make sure we be keeping them happy before I walk in there with the wrong shirt on lol.