The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-31-2018, 08:47 AM   #1
cebra

Vintage Air: SBC to LS Question

It is about time for me to add AC to my originally equipped AC truck. I am currently running the original 350 with v-belt but plan to swap to LS once the SBC kicks the bucket (maybe 6 months, maybe a year or more). It is my daily driver and I crank out a lot of miles. With this said, I want to install vintage air now and was wondering if I could just swap the pulleys/brackets when I convert to LS or if it may require a new compressor/pulleys/hoses etc. I couldn't find much to answer this question. Thanks.
cebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 09:06 AM   #2
wingnut62

Talking Re: Vintage Air: SBC to LS Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebra View Post
It is about time for me to add AC to my originally equipped AC truck. I am currently running the original 350 with v-belt but plan to swap to LS once the SBC kicks the bucket (maybe 6 months, maybe a year or more). It is my daily driver and I crank out a lot of miles. With this said, I want to install vintage air now and was wondering if I could just swap the pulleys/brackets when I convert to LS or if it may require a new compressor/pulleys/hoses etc. I couldn't find much to answer this question. Thanks.
I installed the direct fit VA system on my 65 C10 which has the LQ4 6.0 in it. The system comes with everything you need for a clean installation. I would suggest that you just go with their full system because if you try to purchase components only, I suspect the price difference wouldn't make up for the headache you will soon have after trying to integrate. If I am reading your message correctly, you are asking if your existing brackets will work on your LS? My immediate response would be no, but you could certainly try a test fit.

Refer to my initial statement though on that topic. You will be miles ahead if you just bite the bullet and get the complete package for your application. I purchased mine from Summit and the price was better than from VA direct.

Going to have mine charged today as a matter of fact.
wingnut62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:48 AM   #3
cebra

Re: Vintage Air: SBC to LS Question

Yeah, I am getting the full system. My question more is I am putting on a SBC full system on and then converting my motor in a year or so to LS...can I replace the pulleys on the compressor (v-belt to serpentine) and brackets for the LS or will I need to replace the compressor, pulleys, and potentially lines?
cebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:54 AM   #4
Tash4

Talk to mcb Matt in the vender section , he should be able to answer you question . I believe the kit is the same but you will have to buy a ls bracket later on when you swap.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tash4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 11:08 PM   #5
jessemthompson

I’m prettt sure you’re not gonna change the pulley on the AC compressor and the small block bracket will not work on the LS. Compressor location would be similar if you go with the high mount, so your hose length would probably be close enough. So if you buy now, you’re gonna need a different compressor and bracket. If you’re looking at an LS in 6-12 months, I would wait. That way you don’t have to buy two compressors and two brackets.
jessemthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:35 AM   #6
Zeroman

You could just call Vintage Air directly.

I bought my system from a vendor on this site, but for all of my technical questions I spoke to the Vintage Air Tech Line.
Zeroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:39 AM   #7
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Vintage Air: SBC to LS Question

You have two choices.

Buy everything now and have to swap everything when you go to the LS motor. The ac will all be the same but depending on where you mount the new LS compressor will mean new brackets and compressor at the least.

Wait until you do the LS swap and just buy one time.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote