The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2018, 11:51 AM   #1
rcazwillis

Engine Accessory Decision

Getting close to swapping engines in Zane's 71. Truck has power steering and AC. The new engine was pulled from a 2001 3/4 ton van; not LS engine, Vortec. I have all the accessories used in the van for AC, power steering, alternator, brackets, etc.

Looking for feedback from the collective group. Should I stick with the stock v-belt setup or switch over to the newer (maybe not in miles) setup with rib belt, etc. What obstacles would I run in to if I switch? Thinking power steering fittings will be different, but might be able to swap fitting on back of pump to new pump or have new hoses made up with correct fittings. What about alternator? Any wiring changes necessary? What about AC setup? The current AC is complete, but not used in 25 years.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:02 PM   #2
Big Kev-O

Re: Engine Accessory Decision

I did this exact swap in my 68 and chose to use the serpentine belt (groved) form the vortec. If you have all the brackets and accessories from the vortec use them. The serpentine (grooved belt) setup is much better and frees up about 15hp. You can change fittings on the back of the power steering pump and use a hose from a newer C10 or change the pully on your existing pump, either way you will need the hose for a newer C10. I used the Vortec AC compressor with the trucks existing Vintage Air AC kit. You should be able to use the vortec compressor with your existing AC but your 25 year old system may need some repairs.

Which alternator do you use now? Wiring all depends on your current setup.

If you would like some pictures of more info let me know. I believe hose power steering hose I used was for a 80's C10. I found the info for the hose somewhere on this site when researching the GM serpentine belt conversion.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:34 PM   #3
rcazwillis

Thanks for the info. Quick search shows tons of info. Going with the late model stuff.

I should have searched prior to posting. I guess if everyone searched first, there would be no new threads.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:15 PM   #4
rcazwillis

Found all the info I needed in this thread.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...86#post8341186
Old 09-10-2018, 08:05 PM   #5
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

After wasting too much time dealing with the failure prone CS-130 alternator that is stock on the Vortec 350 I suggest you get the parts to use the optional CS-144 alternator that is a much better design and far more durable.

You also get the added benefit of a higher amp output capacity too.

I have converted four rigs of mine to use it now, soon to be five. I will never build another vehicle with a CS-130 on it. From the start they will all have a CS-144.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:23 PM   #6
AussieinNC

If you do decide to use the Vortec rib belt system...make sure you get the correct water pump...

rib belt water pump systems rotate backwards to a V belt system...

Probably preaching to the converted,,,but anyways...

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:58 PM   #7
rcazwillis

The engine and accessories all came out of a 2002 3/4 van. No issues with waterpump, etc. Electronic wise, there was some weird cross over stuff. Computer was the 411 like an LS engine, wiring did not match the trucks of 1998 generation.

Since you are volunteering info...what alternator do I have in the pick.
Do you know anything about the AC compressor. Besides the two plugs on top, it has a two pin on the back.
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2018, 09:49 AM   #8
Mike C

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieinNC View Post
If you do decide to use the Vortec rib belt system...make sure you get the correct water pump...

rib belt water pump systems rotate backwards to a V belt system...
Serpentine setups rotate the pump backwards. If the water pump has a smooth pulley that runs off the back of the belt than it is reverse rotation. If the pump has a ribbed pulley then it is conventional standard rotation.

The earliest rib belt setups were conventional not serpentine. This is true of ‘86 Camaro/Firebirds and trucks I know. Not sure first year of true serpentine setup. I think ‘88 on F body? Not sure on trucks, but vans were the red-headed step child often not getting the upgrades the other lines got until years later.

It was common with racers I knew to run the grooved non-serpentine setups because the extra rubber contact could take a greater load before belt slippage.

The 2001 is almost certainly reverse rotation true serpentine setup. But you never know...
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote