The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-04-2004, 09:54 AM   #1
dumpit

exhaust systems. which kind to get?????

i want to have the sound of an old muscle car for my exhaust system. that specific sound that a nice muscle car has. i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what would give me that sound.
dumpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 10:18 AM   #2
Prerunner1982

first off, you might want headers, long tube or shorties its up to you and what you want to do with your truck, about 2.5" pipes, possibly with a X of H crossover. of course a good throaty muffler, flowmasters are the obvious mufflers for sound, but if you want a better performing muffler with a throaty sound, but less resonance in the cab, go with a Aerochamber or even a MagnaFlow. dumping just after the muffler, will give you a different sound than if you put it all the way out back, the exhaust tone will echo between the street and the bed and will cause more noise in the cab.
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 10:23 AM   #3
LOHRTBT
BeWarE tHe eViL CrAnkTOe!

I recommend 2.5" piping with dual Hooker Aero Chambers off of headers of course

- 1986 Chevy SWB - Stock for now
- 1986 Chevy Custom SWB *Stolen 6/26/05*
- 1985 Chevy SWB SOLD
- 1999 T/A Some mods
www.cardomain.com/id/ramairdave

AIM Screenname - Jester84
LOHRTBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 10:28 AM   #4
dumpit

thanx. right now i have the left header coming out going to its own pipe all the way back out the back left corner and vise versa on the right side. i plan on getting new headers. i dont get the X and H crossover thing though. flowmasters are the way 2 go? my brother has an s10 and he has a flowmaster and its real real deep. thats not what i really want. i was thinkin that the older muscle cars didnt have mufflers just pipes allthe way back. but i dont have an old car and never looked under one so ii dont know.
dumpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 11:10 AM   #5
hotrodhomi

lots of old cars had glasspacks. is that what you are talking about?
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 12:33 AM   #6
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I talked to Flowmaster when I put mine together and this is what we come up with. I now have long tube headers (use what you want), mine are ceramic coated Cyclones, with 21/2" piping all of the way back. The mufflers are Flowmaster three chamber units ant the exhaust tips are Cone Engineering (Megs) oval stainless steel. Amazing the rumble that can come out of this truck. I can drive down a street and NOT get a ticket, but when I crunch the pedal on the 383 stroker it bellows a very sweet tune that can be heard for a 1/4 mile. I have two trucks set up the same way and they both have a healthy sound that makes you appreciate the flowmaster technology. Flowmaster told me that if I had a big block then I could go to a 3" system, but I should stay at the 21/2" with my setup, so that the system would purge itself.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 01:52 AM   #7
78' Silverado
\/ My Loves \/

I would go Simple...Flowtech headers->2 1/2 piping->2 Series 40(2 chamber) Flowmasters->Dumped before axle. Now if u got a stock 350 like I did. I can almost garntee you that you'll lvoe this sound. And the performance. I have heard Magnaflows and Aerochambers and wat not. In person, and I just dont find them to be my cup of tea lol. So that my suggestion.

Tyler

383 Stroker in progress for the 78'!!!
78' Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 01:35 PM   #8
8t5Silverado
Mudslides 'r my specialty

What about those of us who have to do emissions?

I have to keep a y-pipe and one catalytic converter.

I am considering doing a single muffler with dual outlets. It's cheating I know, but I don't want to have the hassle every time I go to get licensed.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/500339
8t5Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 02:40 PM   #9
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

You could look at the option of a dual exhaust with two (2) catalytic convertors and then go with the exhaust pipes behind that. I am not fully aware of the emissions testing you have to go through in St. Louis, but a little research will help you there. There are after market single exhaust systems for just about all trucks and I would seriously consider one of the following (Flowmaster, Magnaflow, or Gibson). I would also look to see if there is availability of a better Y pipe assembly and cats for a better flow. I have a single exhaust Y pipe and then a magnaflow 3" inlet and two 2 1/2" outlets on a 1991 Chevy pickup. This is run to two outlets at the rear for a dual look. It sounds good, has a moderate rumble for every day driving. It does NOT, however, have the sound that would get the attention at a drag race. Flowmaster is the place for that. The 1988 and later trucks are so much more thinner in construction, that the Flowmaster just rattled the cab to the point my head hurt. My 1984 GMC is much different, the sound of the flowmasters is good and strong, with no cab rattling resonance.

Last edited by piecesparts; 05-10-2004 at 02:44 PM.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 10:43 PM   #10
TUFF 82

lOUD exhaust

a good and cheap way to make an exhaust is get some headers, glasspacks about 6 feet of pipe and two 45 degree bends with some big mother tips. Put it in front of the rear tires, man it sounds awsome, thats what i have on mine and its really loud and sounds like a monster. I wouldent recomend it for a daily driver cause its really loud in the cab. there might be some slight bending involved due to the crossmember

Last edited by TUFF 82; 05-12-2004 at 10:45 PM.
TUFF 82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 05:53 AM   #11
the baron

I drove a 1981 Chevy Van two weeks ago , with headers and a set of Cherry Bombs. It sounds marvellous to me , a lot of rumble...

I asked the owner for the price of Cherry Bombs , he told me it was ridiculous , for about 30 US$ each

So , that's the way I will follow with my Burb , but I will keep the stock headers...

the Baron
the baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 10:23 AM   #12
Grim Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8t5Silverado
What about those of us who have to do emissions?

I have to keep a y-pipe and one catalytic converter.

I am considering doing a single muffler with dual outlets. It's cheating I know, but I don't want to have the hassle every time I go to get licensed.
Go junkyard a late 80's 454 2.25 Y pipe and 3 inch cat. Little welding to adjust it to fit a Set of shorty headers and you compliant.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 10:32 AM   #13
Grim Reaper

I guess I'm getting old. The 40 series Flowmasters we a hoot for short trips but too freaking loud and droaned horribly in the K5. My 70 LeMans has a det of Super Turbo's. Little rumble at idle. Not to bad ata steady cruise and bordering loud when the skinny peddle is horizontal.
I ran the same Super Turbo on a 3 liter I6 in a Toyota Supra and TOTAL different sound. Still was good but the muffle was right at the back with a set of tips welded right to the muffler so it was louder.

X pipe and H pipe help the exhaust scavange. If you can put it in do. It does help. The X helps the most. It will change the sound and get rid of that odd out of step fire sound GM SB V8's make.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 04:42 PM   #14
The Dude

i am in agreement with 78' silverado. i have almost the same setup but mine stops right after the front of the bed. i guess i cant ever hear my exhaust at highway speeds unless i get onit cuz of the hummin those 38's make lol! it sounds sweet.
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 12:08 AM   #15
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

I've got a X pipe with 2.5" pipe after the headers into the X pipe then to the 40 Flowmasters and dumped under the bed before the axle. It's nice and mellow with the X pipe added. I'm going to get Aerochambers next instead of these Flows. I like them but they don't flow like the Aero's and also the Aero's sound better.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote