The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-15-2004, 01:16 PM   #1
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Tranny crossmember

I'm trying to figure out what crossmember is best for what I want to do with my exhaust. I will be running 2.5" duals with two cats. I seen Ken's (N2TRUX) crossmember like in the first pic below. This looks good but is this a made crossmember or is there one like this somewhere on a vehicle. Personally, I've never seen one before.

Then there is the one like Jeff (bigblock73) has. This looks good but to me it puts the exhaust awfully close to the ground. I think I prefer to have one like Ken has so I can keep my exhaust up higher.

What does everyone think is best? And the bigger question, where can I find one of either of these?

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 02:51 PM   #2
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

Mike, i've got one of the double humps like Jeff has sitting between the rails of my 86. with going 4x4 i no longer need it. one thing i like about this style is the fact that it ties to the upper and lower parts of the frame. call me crazy, i just like more stability. i posted a bunch of stuff FS in the parts board, and for some reason didnt include it. maybe this is the reason i didnt. :dunno: PM me if you're interested.

anybody happen to know what factory application Ken's crossmember came from?
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 02:55 PM   #3
bigblock73
yeller

Mike, FWIW, I never had any ground clearance with the true dual 2.5 exhaust I had on Yeller when I had the 350 in there...and I even had exhaust cut outs pointing straight down.

I believe you can get the same (or very similar) x-member on all 73-80 trucks. As you can see in the pic, my x-member is slightly notched...some are not. Crawl under your red truck and see what that one looks like....maybe you can swap the two.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 04:11 PM   #4
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Jeff,

I checked the 79 and it's just like the one in my 85. From everything I know, any truck that came with a cat is this way. Mine is like Ken's on the drivers side and like yours on the passenger side. So, this would mean if I keep the one I have, drivers side will be above and passenger side will be below. Not something I consider to attractive.

Jeremy,

let me see what Ken says about his. I think I would like the style he has if it's feasible. If not, I might take you up on it. Shipping would be a ton though. I could probably find one local cheaper than it would cost just to ship.
Old 05-15-2004, 04:18 PM   #5
Cole's 87

Ok Me and Greg, a friend of mine were working on building a crossmember that would end all the exhaust clearance problems. Dont know if this is a good idea or not so tell me what you think is it worth the effort or not.

A good fabricator like Mike you should be able to polish this idea up. Oh yea drawing is not my strong point.

Last edited by Cole's 87; 05-15-2004 at 04:33 PM.
Cole's 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 04:24 PM   #6
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Yes, it's a good idea, but I'm no good fabricator. Do y'all remember the guy in the parts board making and selling crossmembers? He went through some hard times or something and quit. I think Gerardo bought one.

It looks to me like someone with welding and metal cutting skills could make a few bucks on these things if they wanted to.

I'm betting Ken had his crossmember made by someone, as none of our trucks came with two cats. At least I don't think so anyway.
Old 05-15-2004, 05:27 PM   #7
bigblock73
yeller

Mike, that might be the x-member on Kens Blazer...not his 77.

Where the heck is that fool at anyhow?
Old 05-15-2004, 06:53 PM   #8
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Are Blazer crossmembers different or won't work on trucks?
Old 05-15-2004, 07:45 PM   #9
TIMSPEED

Quote:
Originally Posted by swervin ervin
So, this would mean if I keep the one I have, drivers side will be above and passenger side will be below. Not something I consider to attractive.
So....

I want to get one that I BELIEVE Forum member "Mike" used to make. Special dual exhaust crossmember.
Old 05-15-2004, 08:08 PM   #10
SCOTI

That pic of Ken's exhaust is from his blazer. You can tell because it has the lower 4-link bar/bracket just visible in the corner of the pic & his truck uses air-over leaf (and the req'd leaf hanger). His 77 truck has a single cat & flowmaster (2.5" I believe) & it still sounds nice.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 10:21 PM   #11
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI
That pic of Ken's exhaust is from his blazer. You can tell because it has the lower 4-link bar/bracket just visible in the corner of the pic & his truck uses air-over leaf (and the req'd leaf hanger). His 77 truck has a single cat & flowmaster (2.5" I believe) & it still sounds nice.
Oh yeah..also, there is no saddle tank in the pic either...just realized that.
Old 05-15-2004, 11:48 PM   #12
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Mike I guess the one thing that has changed quit a bit on our trucks is the crossmembers. The one pictured was stock on my Blazer, but it's turned over. I don't know the difference is because it's a Blazer crossmember or because it's an 82. Just for reference the Blazer came with a 305 and 700r4.

I can tell you the one on my 77 is different from those pictured. It looks like Jeffs on one end, and wraps under the frame and up on the other end...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 05-15-2004 at 11:56 PM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 02:27 AM   #13
corn

I was so happy to have my cab swapped to the short frame that I gave away the old long frame. I told my wife's uncle (pretty much a junk man) that I needed a list of parts. He brought me this cross member for my truck. If its what you want I can ask him what it came out of & see if he can get me another one. You want me to ask him Mike?...corn

Last edited by corn; 09-16-2007 at 06:28 PM.
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 05:50 AM   #14
TIMSPEED

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX
I can tell you the one on my 77 is different from those pictured. It looks like Jeffs on one end, and wraps under the frame and up on the other end...
Uhh...are you forgetting you have the same tranny crossmember as me, and I posted a picure of it...
Old 05-16-2004, 09:27 AM   #15
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMSPEED
Uhh...are you forgetting you have the same tranny crossmember as me, and I posted a picure of it...
Tim, after going back and looking at the thread, I see you are right. I started my post early in the day when Jeff was the only response. I left and came back last night and finished the post up without looking at the other replies.

For the record, my 77 crossmember looks just like the one that Timspeed posted. Mines just cleaner...
Attached Images

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 12:32 PM   #16
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Thanks guys.

Ken,

my crossmember is like the one on your 77. The 85 and 79 both are the same. I guess it's time to take a trip to some junkyards. Although it's usually real hard to see crossmembes on trucks when they are sitting on the ground and covered with weeds.

Jeff,

what year truck did the one you have come on? It's just like the one Cornfed has I believe.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:33 PM   #17
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by swervin ervin
Jeff,

what year truck did the one you have come on? It's just like the one Cornfed has I believe.

That is the original x-member that came on my 73. I guess I would look for a pre-cat truck to pull one from...73-75 maybe? Timspeeds is a 75 tho...so who knows. Maybe search for a 73-74 to pull one from. I also thought I read somewhere, the 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks had different ones too...wouldn't hurt to check them out either I guess.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:54 PM   #18
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Hmmm, finding a 73-74 truck around here in a junkyard will probably be a big challenge in itself. Stuff like this just doesn't last long before the crusher gets hold of it. Most of the junk you see around here is more widely used vehicles. If it's not a big demand vehcile, they don't like to give it much time and space.

Jeremy's crossmember offer is starting to look better.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:52 PM   #19
TIMSPEED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock73
Timspeeds is a 75 tho...so who knows. Maybe search for a 73-74 to pull one from.
It's a good bet that all 73-74's have the dual-exhaust crossmember. Although, you're right about the 3/4 tons and heavier, they also came factory without cats, so they also have the dual exhaust crossmember..I still like the ones "Mike" was making...but I guess only G got to buy one. Looks SWEET! I've seen a couple dual-exhaust xmembers at the local pick&pull, but haven't bothered to pull one off yet...