The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-16-2004, 10:06 PM   #1
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

What did you get done?

It's time for our Sunday evening feature of "what did you get done this weekend?"

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 10:11 PM   #2
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

i got gas.... again
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 10:16 PM   #3
Prerunner1982

i fixed a wall outlet that had half of my bedroom and the outside outlet without power for about a week. Ends up that wall outlet by the bed had caught fire and burnt.. rather scary, it fell apart in my hand while i was removing it. I also changed the brakes on my wifes car... well i changed one side and she changed the other.. she is learning, i am proud of her.
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 10:27 PM   #4
gldevall

Re-wired my dash again.
-2004 Z-71 Extended cab with a flowmaster, BDS 6.5", 3" BL, 35x12.5x18 Trail Grapplers on Pro-Comp 18x9 wheels
gldevall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 10:35 PM   #5
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

Jon, sounds like you have quite the catch there, hold on to her! well, at least until i make that little trip to Texas that i've been wanting to, then you can let her come home with me.

Friday the plan was to go over and begin disassembly of the K30 i bought last weekend, but good old Mother Nature saw otherwise, so i just putzed around the house all night.

Saturday i went to a friends open house, then headed down to Kokomo for a bachelor party.

woke up this morning, with a rather strong headache, and drove the 150 miles home to begin tearing down the K30. we got the entire cab stripped out, with the exception of the seat, the windsheild and the back glass. took the hydroboost and steering box off, front clip, doors, and unbolted the Dana 60. brought some of the parts we removed home, and gave some to my buddy for letting me store it at his place while we're doing all of this. and now i'm home, reporting in, just like i do every Sunday night.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 10:40 PM   #6
C-10volvo

i went car shopping today. looked at an 03 half ton short box. I WANT IT!! here is the link to the truck
For everything else: 1997 BMW M3
C-10volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 11:06 PM   #7
cochino12
It followed me home?

Changed the door hinge on the K5, the old one was sagging. Changed my oil and washed and waxed it also.

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 11:26 PM   #8
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I actually worked on my truck for a change. Friday night I got it up on stands and traced the problem with my air lines. I replaced the blown line and rerouted them just for precaution. I also rigged a muffler clamp and a piece of scrap metal to hold the exhaust together.

Saturday morning I headed to the nearest muffler shop. I was greated by Lumpty-dumpty and Tweedle dumb. Lumpty-dumpty was running the front desk and asked me to fill out the top of the invoice. It didn't take long to realize he could use a tic-tac and a shower.

Tweedle dumb asked me where the keys are, and I tell him thanks but I will drive it on the rack. I pull it in and Tweedle dumb pushes the arms of the lift under my truck. He doesn't bother to see where there are located and raises my truck, then lets it back down. It seems one of the arms needed to be adjusted because he was lifting my truck with the gas tank.

After he gets that squared away he tells me we can just patch the exhaust and I'll be good to go. I explain I am not interested in a patch, I want it fixed right. He assure me it will be "good as new" when he gets done. Somehow I don't feel comforted. Then he disappears...

After 10-15 minutes of wondering where this idiot went, I go ask stinky breath...I mean Lumpty dumpty where Tweedle dumb is. He says he had to run home for his wallet..... Meanwhile there is one black guy that is jumping through hoops getting all the other cars done.

Another 20 minutes go by and Tweedle dumb shows back up. He starts under my truck again, and I point out that the only thing supporting my truck on one side is the emergency brake cable. He looks at it, shrugs and walks off.

Another 15 minutes go by, and I'm back talking to stinky breath. Uh, excuse me but where did Tweedle dumb go? Oh, he had to leave. His "grandmother had an emergency" and he had to go take care of her... Meanwhile the same black guy is still jumping through hoops getting all the other cars done.

It's ironic that I find myself somewhat relieved that Tweedle dumb has left. It takes another 35-40 minutes, but Joe (the black guy) finally gets to me. In a blur, he whips out a replacement section, and has Lumpty dumpty weld it up. 2.5 hours later I finally leave the muffler shop. The repair looks like chit, but it will hold for now.

My buddy came over with his pressure washer, and we blasted the undercarriage. After that, to reward myself for putting up with stinky breath and the village idiot I cleaned the truck up and took it out to one of the local cruise spots....ahhhh, life is good....

Last edited by N2TRUX; 05-16-2004 at 11:28 PM.
Old 05-16-2004, 11:30 PM   #9
low 84

i started to switch out my tach for a better one i bought from a board member awhile back. relized i need a small aluminum spacer to mount it like a want to, the hardware store that has all the wierd little spacers was closed so that stopped me from finishing. i decided to run a couple wires for the stereo i'm putting in the blazer, i couldn't find any holes on the passenger side fire wall where i want the power wire to go through so i gave up on that one too

'05 1500 Crew Cab

RIP
'84 swb 5/7 drop, solid cammed 408 w/ fully ported dart heads, th350 w/ 10 inch hughes, 12 bolt w/ 3.73 richmonds and a locker
'80 swb 4x4 in progress: 7" lift, 350 th350/np205, d44 and 1.5" ORD tie rod, 14BFF w/discs , armored diff covers, 40" MTR's
low 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 11:32 PM   #10
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

Ken, are you saying there's something wrong with people who have worked hard all day and not had time to brush thier teeth?
Old 05-16-2004, 11:57 PM   #11
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FaastC10
Ken, are you saying there's something wrong with people who have worked hard all day and not had time to brush thier teeth?
No I'm saying it was early in the morning and I'm pretty sure stinky breath hadn't practiced dental hygiene in a "few" days
Old 05-17-2004, 12:06 AM   #12
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

oh, ok, so waking up late in a hotel room and driving straight to my buddys house to wrench this morning was ok?
Old 05-17-2004, 12:43 AM   #13
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Yeah that's cool. Unless you threw up last night. Then I would have to offer up a tic-tac... :p
Old 05-17-2004, 12:48 AM   #14
Eyegore
What Hump?

Well we picked up two new fenders for my sons truck and met a fellow board member 74c10 and purchease a lower valance and radiator support from him - thanks Jim. My son got home and proceeded to weld up the front fender side markers and the bed post holes, turned out pretty good.
On my 86 had a mechanic over to give it a once over, its missing on number 8 cylinder and has no power under full throtle. He installed new dist cap, check cylinder pressure - avg 120 per cylinder, but hes stumped so any suggestions would be appreciated. Also took the old seat from my sons 82 that was stolen and put it in the 86, its in much better shape and matches the interior.
Thats about it.

Tom
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 01:09 AM   #15
BaggedC10
Under construction!

Saturday---Finally, I was able to have someone pickup the 87' cab and take it to the dump. I started to prepare the chassis for paint---Removed all fuel/brake lines, fuel tank, and everything else.

Sunday---Worked 12-hours.
Old 05-17-2004, 05:57 AM   #16
Nvbowtie

I went to a car show Sat afternoon here in town,
one of my club members entered his truck among
250+ vehicles, we just finished painting it last week.
Although in the 90's class his 99 Sonoma lost to a
plain jane 90 Mustang GT
we are still wondering how that happened

Then I went to work on the body work along with a few
buddies, got in about 7 hrs - and called it a day at 430am.
Attached Images

1988 Chevy Blazer Tahoe

Last edited by Nvbowtie; 05-17-2004 at 06:02 AM.
Nvbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 07:59 AM   #17
Izzy
Trucker.

The wife took her 98 to a Hooters show, didn't win because all the area 88-98 bagged trucks were there but she had a good time.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 08:13 AM   #18
blink32

Reinstalled the Aux Gas tank with new sending unit, all new rubber lines and new rubber fill neck and vent hose.

Installed missing parts and now my horn and horn button works.

Removed mouse next from intake manifold.

Replaced Pax side rear wheel bearing seal and cleaned all residual oil and grease for 2nd time. Replacing drivers side tonight. (don't have a clue why these went bad after replacing them the first time. The originals had been bad for who knows how long. I think the new seals I was giving from the parts store were incorrect.)
blink32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 08:15 AM   #19
Opper77
Ob-Gyn Kenobi

wheel bearings on my wife's POS Neon, set the timing on my '85. Soccer and Baseball with the boy...and work.

I used to have a firm handle on life....then it broke off.
Opper77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 08:45 AM   #20
TwinTurbo

I got a good deal done on my engine test stand:

TwinTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 01:38 PM   #21
PHOENIX

My clutch started slipping Friday morning.
Decided I needed to get it done this weekend.
Saturday tore it apart and got the clutch out.
Disc and flywheel looked pretty clean (not a lot of wear).
Didnt feel the flywheel needed resurfacing so I saved some time.
Slapped the new clutch assy. in and had a friend help guide the trans in.
I usually work the trans in from the inside while a friend works the floor jack.
Well this time he was inside and I worked the jack.
Trans went in real smooth, almost too smooth.
Put the crossmember back on, drive shaft etc.
Started it up and there is a squel (?) coming from the bell housing.
I belive its the throwout bearing.
I bet my friend wasnt paying enough attention and let something go wrong.
Now I have to tear it all down again and see what the problem is.
Going to be driving my dads dodge for a week or so, till I get it fixed.
Im so pissed off, doing a clutch in your driveway is a beating.
I wish I had a lift.
Anyway got to get it done.
Overall - bad weekend

Needed some money to pay off bills so I went to the gun show Saturday morning and sold my .357 mag. Will probably sell another gun soon. Got some stuff gathered up for another yard sale, gonna get rid of some decent stuff that we never use.

Last edited by PHOENIX; 05-17-2004 at 01:42 PM.
PHOENIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 01:43 PM   #22
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocbaud
i got gas.... again
ME too!!!

Did Computer rebuild and recovery for a board member, Watched it rain and "listened" to the birth of a weak battery on the 82.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 05:10 PM   #23
1974ChevyC10
Overworked and Underlaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom mathein
met a fellow board member 74c10 and purchease a lower valance and radiator support from him - thanks Jim.
Tom
it was good meeting you guys too and your welcome for the parts.i dont know if you plan on using that bezel that wouldnt come off the lower valence but if you do since your son was talking about that i found the matching other bezel that you can have if you like.lemme know
ive been doing alot on my C10 as of late which ill go into more detail later on but the new motor was fired on friday and the cam is broken in-thanks to my dad and my uncle who were nice enough to do while i was at work.other than that i did nothing and ill give more details on the truck later.

The Beast-1978 C10 LWB

Red-1978 C10 LWB

(Uncle Mike)Michael Henry Millett 11/5/1957 to 03/08/2012
Gone but will never be forgotten-RIP

(Uncle Chuck)Charles Manning Gulbronsen Sr 1956-2012
Taken from us to soon but you will live on in our hearts-RIP
1974ChevyC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 05:37 PM   #24
1985K10

I went to a car show, very small one, and the only other 73-87 came and parked next to me. Its an 86 Silverado, made my truck look small and crappy
Attached Images

77 GMC Royal Sierra~Resto in progress~
1985K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 07:12 PM   #25
SCOTI

My weekend repairs started on Thurs night. I went and bought an aftermarket neutral safety switch for the 74 @ Autozone. I got it swapped in & tried to get the truck started.... no luck. I figured some adjustments were needed.... still no luck.

I called my good friend MattA for a new perspective & he recommended checking the wiring @ the starter. I resisted that notion but decided whats there to lose. All wiring was tight & looked to be in good order so I tried moving all the wiring to new positions & viola~ it starts w/o the remote switch. Every time I tried to start it afterward-- no prob, starts on the first try. So Fri, I drive it to work only to have it do the same thing before going home.

Sat I pulled everything lose for inspection & all wiring terminals look fine. I cut the ignition terminal off & crimp on a new one just to be 100% sure. I put it back together & it works fine. I also had a squealing noise coming from under the truck so I replaced the u-joints while I was dirty. It was a good thing to because I was definitely on borrowed time (no needle bearings in 1 cup, rusted, dry bearings in another).

Sun AM, I go out to stretch her legs on a little hwy drive & once again.... won't start. Now I'm getting pissed. I start from the terminal on the firewall & start twisting the ign wire about every 4-6 inches & try the key. About 18" down the wire.... bingo, starts right up. I believe I have some corroded wires that need replacement so that's added to my list for the week. After that, the drive went well. No squeaks, vibrations, & so far has started everytime I turned the key (even before/after work today).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote