The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2004, 08:26 PM   #1
Budweis
Geared for Collision

Eaton Wheel Bearings

just got a couple questions. im taking out the wheel bearings while got the hubs off on my eaton and i noticed on the outer wheel bearings they wont come out, are those pressed in? i know there was a c-clip i removed from the back side of them but they still dont come out by tapping on. i know they were just replaced last summer so figured maybe i could clean, repack and reuse but looks like going to be ruint just getting them out. also i noticed the inner race has to come out to remove the outer bearing through the back looks like so guess ill need to replace the inner races. just thought id check if any suggestions on this as was hoping to reuse everything but looking impossible to me. normally i just send whole differentials out to get redone so not much experience on this stuff and i have 5 manuals on this truck and none have anything on wheels bearings lol.
Attached Images

1977 Corvette Coupe
Budweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 08:57 PM   #2
drink2mny

Ok just got off the phone with Randy at Blackbirds.
You already pulled the hub seal and inner bearing.
you already pulled the snap ring out..
Now if you want the outer bearing to come out , you have to drive the race out with it from the axle side down through where the hub seal was.
But if they have just been replaced last year I wouldn't bother unless you felt grinding or anything else mucked up..
Hope this helps a little
Old 05-19-2004, 10:51 PM   #3
Budweis
Geared for Collision

yeah ok i figured had to come out from the back just guess its tight in there cus i tapped gently like crazy and the outer bearing dont come out, seems like should come out easy so there must be some type of problem so i guess ill just up the hammer size and bang the living hell out of it and just replace outer bearing and both races. the guy i bought off said he replaced but i wont feel good about it less i see it for myself . want to be right but was just kinda sticker shocked on bearing/race prices. for full set for rear they want like 150.00 so if i can salvage the inners i will. thanks for the info i appreciate.
1977 Corvette Coupe
Budweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 07:14 PM   #4
Truckstuff

Eaton Hub bearings

The original bearings were a barrel style. If you are going to reuse the old bearings make sure the races match. If they have been replaced recently they should have been updated to a standard style bearing and race.

Building: 1981 GM SB LowRider
1985 GM K3500 3+3
1981 GM K2500 SSB
1980 GM K2500 X-BC Hydro
1979 GM K3500 3+3
1976 GM K5 Blazer
1970 Custom 10
http://bc4x4.com/
Truckstuff is offline   Reply With Quote