The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-14-2016, 03:55 PM   #1
SouthpawGarage

Rocker Panel Install Details

Hello folks,

I searched through several posts about rocker panels looking for some more detailed info on exactly how to get those aftermarket rockers to fit. Most of what I saw were pictures of a truck without a rocker and then in the next picture a truck with a rocker. I was looking for some more insight on the process, and saw a tidbit here and a suggestion there, but nothing specifically dedicated to this problem. (Not to say it’s not out there, there’s an awful lot of knowledge to sift through on this forum.)

To that end I decided to share my experiences with fitting my first one. I wouldn’t say it’s a how-to – every situation is different – and I’m no expert (as mentioned, it’s my first time), but maybe this will help someone. You more knowledgeable folks feel free to make any comments or suggestions.

The panels I’m using are from Key Parts. Not sure which major vendor sells these, I got mine at a swap meet. I’ve read where other guys have had good luck with this brand, but I’m not impressed.

First thing I did was bolt the door back on temporarily and get it lined up. I won’t get into that process here, that’s on other threads. Mostly time and patience.

The rocker did not fit well at all. It’s almost as if it were slightly too long. Maybe I messed up when doing the door/pillar work? Driver’s side was the same way.

Looking at the trailing edge of the panel I could see it wasn’t quite right.

Ground it down a bit and it improved the fitment at the rear.

At the front, made a relief cut at one corner. Turned out to be the first of many, which are visible in subsequent photos.

After another trial fit and manipulating the panel around some I decided I needed to trim down some of the edges on the cab as indicated on the pictures.

This is a new floor pan, I had to trim it even all the way across the bottom. NOTE: Don’t forget to cut the new notch in for the rocker drain. Despite telling myself this I had to do it at the end from underneath with a dremel.

Some relief cuts at the back. Did some hammering in the corner while it was clamped in place.

Relief cuts at the front. I had to make a new bend because the one that was there was nowhere close. Sorry, no pics of doing that. I ran a relief cut through the badly positioned crease, put in a new crease with a pair of needlenose pliers, flattened out the metal where the bad crease had been and welded it back up.

Once I was reasonably happy with the fit I prepped the rocker and the cab for installation. Drilled the holes in the rocker for the plug welds and cleaned the corresponding locations on the cab to bare metal.

Before starting with the welding the door was put back on to make sure the gap was okay.

Got a few plug welds in.

After a bit of hammering to get the rest of the creases lined up I welded up some of the relief cuts.

Didn’t like some of the gaps left by the relief cuts so I borrowed some metal from the old rocker and use it to fill in.

All ground down and hit with a flap disk.

A coat of cheap paint to protect the bare metal until the cab goes off to be blasted.

The finished product. Not perfect but after the seam sealer and skim coat should look good enough. Like I said, this is my first rocker.

Let me know if you found this helpful. Or useless. Any input from more experienced users is more than welcome. Thanks for reading.
SouthpawGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 04:46 PM   #2
oldarky66

Re: Rocker Panel Install Details

Speaking as a complete novice I think you did a fine job, especially considering all the adjustments you had to make in the beginning. I have been on this site a long time hoping to prepare myself as well as possible to begin my build. I appreciate you and all the others who take the time to share regardless of experience level.
You are right though, sometimes the little details seem to left out, maybe because of time constraints or just taking for granted we should know what to do. The good news is I don't know if I've ever seen a posted question go unaddressed. Thanks again a good luck with the rest of your build.

Wade
oldarky66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:15 PM   #3
LT1 Burb

That's exactly why I bought a pair of NOS ones for 300.00
LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:21 PM   #4
Backpayne

What perfect timing! I have been looking into replacine both rocker panels.

Looking at the fitment of these, I'm a little nervous now. Is there a brand that requires little to no modification?
Backpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:05 PM   #5
racecougar

Looks good. That's par for the course regarding fitment of overseas stampings. I had to do much the same regarding relief cuts, re-shaping, and welding. The only thing I did a bit differently was to plug weld the bottom edge from under the cab, meaning the holes were punched in the floor pan rather than the rocker panel.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:48 PM   #6
60chevyjim

I used inner and outer rockers from lmc they fit about the same.
but I have been doing this kind of stuff >auto body repair < for about 40 years
using a lot of aftermarket body repair panels on 50's and 60's cars n trucks .
some parts fit good some fit like crap .
some cars that I do they don't even make the parts for so I have to make some stuff from scratch like some of 1930's and 40's cadillacs that I restored a few years ago .

I cut and trimmed the front of the first lmc 65 C10 rocker because I didn't like the fit
but when I did the second one I found that by compressing the rocker from top to bottom it fits much better than the first one did.
when they come out of the press when they make them they relax and open up a little from top to bottom so they need to be compressed a little bit and they will fit much better .
I got both inner and outer rockers done on the first of the two 65 C-10's that im building
now . a frame off rebuild for my friend and
my rat 65 C-10 that im building from his parts truck and all the left over scraps and
some new parts for safety .
60chevyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:30 AM   #7
dracko

Turned out very nice. Mine needed the same modifications on both sides.

Just wondering, did you test fit with the door on? My passenger side rocker I had to cut lengthwise and widen 1/4" because it wasn't sitting flush with the bottom of the door. The drivers side I had to put some shims between the rocker and floor to get the gap right.
dracko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:09 AM   #8
SouthpawGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracko View Post
Turned out very nice. Mine needed the same modifications on both sides.

Just wondering, did you test fit with the door on? My passenger side rocker I had to cut lengthwise and widen 1/4" because it wasn't sitting flush with the bottom of the door. The drivers side I had to put some shims between the rocker and floor to get the gap right.
Actually I ended up putting the door on and taking it off a number of times during the process. I don't remember how many times now. And no, it didn't really sit flush with the bottom either at first, but I was able to work the door to get it close.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:07 AM   #9
andyh1956

It's no wonder that rocker didn't fit- you got the cab sitting at an angle! But that's a good job, just think what it would cost to have a shop do that! The 1st rocker I ever did was on an old K5 Blazer & I had to braze it together, didn't have a MIG welder! Again, good job!
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:19 AM   #10
patrickk1

Like others have said, this is par for the course. Some panels are easier than others. After you do a couple body parts (not necessarily rockers), it gets easier. You'll see where you need the relief cuts quicker and you have more faith in your yourself that you are doing the correct thing to fix the part. Many times I have found that lower fender corner patch panels are off by a quarter to 1/2" in width. The quick fix is to cut a slit in the wider part and pie cut the other to get them to meet on a smooth transition. Once it's welded and sanded, you could never tell the difference.

1964 GMC pickup lwb ~ My newest build!
1937 Ford Coupe ~ Custom frame, LS1, quickchange
1950 Chevrolet 3100 ~ Bagged (Sold)
1931 Chrysler Roadster ~'32 Ford Frame, Channeled 8" (Originally a 60's show car)
1967 Chevelle ~ 454 Triple Black (Sold)
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS (Sold)
patrickk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:18 PM   #11
oldusafmsgt

All reproduction sheetmetal, and most reproducttion parts period, come from one place, China. Quality is hit and miss . Most will need massaging to fit correctly. All suppliers get the same parts, so shop around for the best price and customer service.
1963 Chevy C10 Short Fleetside
1965 Chevy C10 Short Stepside
1965 Chevy C10 Long Fleetside
1966 GMC 1000 Long Fleetside
1966 Chevy C10 Short Fleetside
oldusafmsgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:55 PM   #12
AngryPirate

Nice. I'm about to do mine as well as the piece before it further inside the cab

Thanks!
AngryPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:48 PM   #13
RANDY COX

Good Job...looks good to me...
Old 08-18-2016, 06:08 PM   #14
Bigru

Nice work!

1983 Short Fleet (Under construction for my 13 year old son)
2008 GMC Denali
2012 Harley Roadglide

Follow me on Instagram: Ru_django
Bigru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:41 PM   #15
Indian113

Thanks for taking detailed pictures, really helps and looks good.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:58 PM   #16
bstash19

nice job.

yours definitely came out a lot better than mine, although i think part of the reason was that i had to replace the outer 12" of both sides of the cab floor. i didn't really have any good spots to work my fitment off of.
bstash19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:34 PM   #17
SouthpawGarage

I went back to refer to this post the other day and found that all the pictures were gone. I am reposting with the pictures again. I like to keep this thread in my back pocket, so to speak. Doing my best to remember where the pics fit!

Hello folks,

I searched through several posts about rocker panels looking for some more detailed info on exactly how to get those aftermarket rockers to fit. Most of what I saw were pictures of a truck without a rocker and then in the next picture a truck with a rocker. I was looking for some more insight on the process, and saw a tidbit here and a suggestion there, but nothing specifically dedicated to this problem. (Not to say it’s not out there, there’s an awful lot of knowledge to sift through on this forum.)

To that end I decided to share my experiences with fitting my first one. I wouldn’t say it’s a how-to – every situation is different – and I’m no expert (as mentioned, it’s my first time), but maybe this will help someone. You more knowledgeable folks feel free to make any comments or suggestions.

The panels I’m using are from Key Parts. Not sure which major vendor sells these, I got mine at a swap meet. I’ve read where other guys have had good luck with this brand, but I’m not impressed.

First thing I did was bolt the door back on temporarily and get it lined up. I won’t get into that process here, that’s on other threads. Mostly time and patience.

The rocker did not fit well at all. It’s almost as if it were slightly too long. Maybe I messed up when doing the door/pillar work? Driver’s side was the same way.

Looking at the trailing edge of the panel I could see it wasn’t quite right.

Ground it down a bit and it improved the fitment at the rear.

At the front, made a relief cut at one corner. Turned out to be the first of many, which are visible in subsequent photos.

After another trial fit and manipulating the panel around some I decided I needed to trim down some of the edges on the cab as indicated on the pictures.

This is a new floor pan, I had to trim it even all the way across the bottom. NOTE: Don’t forget to cut the new notch in for the rocker drain. Despite telling myself this I had to do it at the end from underneath with a dremel.

Some relief cuts at the back. Did some hammering in the corner while it was clamped in place.

Relief cuts at the front. I had to make a new bend because the one that was there was nowhere close. Sorry, no pics of doing that. I ran a relief cut through the badly positioned crease, put in a new crease with a pair of needlenose pliers, flattened out the metal where the bad crease had been and welded it back up.

Once I was reasonably happy with the fit I prepped the rocker and the cab for installation. Drilled the holes in the rocker for the plug welds and cleaned the corresponding locations on the cab to bare metal.

Before starting with the welding the door was put back on to make sure the gap was okay.

Got a few plug welds in.

After a bit of hammering to get the rest of the creases lined up I welded up some of the relief cuts.

Didn’t like some of the gaps left by the relief cuts so I borrowed some metal from the old rocker and use it to fill in.

All ground down and hit with a flap disk.

A coat of cheap paint to protect the bare metal until the cab goes off to be blasted.

The finished product. Not perfect but after the seam sealer and skim coat should look good enough. Like I said, this is my first rocker.

Let me know if you found this helpful. Or useless. Any input from more experienced users is more than welcome. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by SouthpawGarage; 01-03-2019 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Actually got pictures added
Old 01-02-2019, 11:54 PM   #18
vetnat

I still see no pics?
Old 01-03-2019, 12:37 AM   #19
rws1012

I am not seeing any pics at all. Will be doing same project a little while from now. Really like to see the pics of future problems I will run in to later. LOL
rws1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:47 AM   #20
SouthpawGarage

That's annoying. I'll try to fix it again tomorrow.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:30 AM   #21
SouthpawGarage

Cool Re: Rocker Panel Install Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawGarage View Post
That's annoying. I'll try to fix it again tomorrow.
Pictures showed up on my own computer but nowhere else. Pretty sure I got it fixed this time.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:44 AM   #22
vetnat

Yep, can see pics now. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:31 PM   #23
rws1012

I see pics now. Great job and great information. Thank you!!!
rws1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:00 PM   #24
Macdaddy1

Thank you very much for reposting and that is excellent work!
Macdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:53 PM   #25
Indian113

Thanks Again! Great Job and Help for us
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote