The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-23-2004, 10:07 PM   #1
UltraDresser

Question Already dropped Question ????

Well here's what I have..... bought the truck like this.....
Sitting static on 15" wheels 235.75r 15 tires ... measurement from ground to top of wheel well centered is 32" ..... is that stock or has it been lowered some ?? and if so what do you think I have ... stock or drop? Also tires stand 28 inches high as present ..... with the 32 height of wheel wells what would be the largest size wheels and tires you think would.... like to keep rims under 17.... unless you have something I may not be thinkin about...... thanks in advance for any help or advice.........
UltraDresser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 10:17 PM   #2
KutThroatKustoms
drag body or die

What yr truck? My truck has the same tires and there is maybe a 2"-3" gap between the tire and wheel well. Mine is stock height.

As for staying under a 17.. you could technically roll a 20" rim with a 28" tall and not loose anything but ride quality. You could go up to around 30" tire on a 15, but it just depends what you wanna roll. You looking for something clean like sport truck or more all terrain, etc.
Old 05-23-2004, 10:29 PM   #3
UltraDresser

mines a 69 stepside..... bout a 4 inch gap lookin straight at it..... I am wanting to put on some BF Goodrich radial T/A's .... had them on a 72 442 I once had and really liked the ride and the wide squaty look... Not into the all terrain look ... like I said fat and squaty..... not into the big rim low brofile tire look... to me looks like riding on a rubber band.... wanna get the back spacing all that down.... just hopin someone can tell me a combo they have or seen or could post a pic of one....
-Bear-
Old 05-23-2004, 10:44 PM   #4
KutThroatKustoms
drag body or die

use to have a 68 short bed that was stock and 4" seems about stock to be honest. I forget the tires, but it had just normal truck tires with 15's, so i'm gonna use somewhere around a 28" tall tire, it wasnt as wide as my 235/75/15's are on the 79.

For wheel tire combo's.. i think some nice 16" torque thrust 2's and maybe some 275/65/16's (if that even exists, it just seems nice and wide and not too tall to look off) or something out back and something a little less wide up front. Then maybe a mild drop.

But i'll let some ppl post some pics of their wheel tire combo's for you to see what you like. I dont have any pics.. sorry.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:01 PM   #5
UltraDresser

so do you think I can go no taller then 28"???
the 275/65r16 have a 30.1 diameter..... with a 16" wheel with a section width of 11 on an 8.0 rim rim range is 7.5-9.5......
Old 05-23-2004, 11:14 PM   #6
KutThroatKustoms
drag body or die

You can go taller, but imo, it wouldnt look right. It woul dhave that fat sidewal/tall tire look. Unless you want it.

But since you want fat and squaty, i'd stay around a 28" tire and lower the truck a little and get some wider tires in the rear, it would look good. Go too much taller and when you lower it, you'll rub (if you lower it for that squaty look)
Old 05-23-2004, 11:27 PM   #7
UltraDresser

so in your opinion lower it some??... kinda what I was thinkin.... maybe straight down 2 inches frt to rr .... now to figure that out.... shackle in rear and short coil in frt ???
is that what you think keep around a 2" clearance lower the 32 to 30 and keep tire at around 28" dia??? just trying to get an experianced thought on that ratio for the proper clearance.... don't want to have the wheel/tire combo to detract and be the focus