The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2004, 12:09 PM   #1
ljbear

Spring Mounts, Shock Mounts, and Rear Disc Conversion

I just purchased a set of 3/4 ton axles to put into my 71 SWB. The axles are from a 1980 Chevy so the rear perches and shock mounts will need to be pulled off and moved.

Where can I get a set of perches for the 14 Bolt rear? I'll be using the Off Road Design Shackle flip with a 2" rear spring for a total of 6" of lift. Is there a need to adjust the placement of the spring mounts to slightly move the pinion angle?

Also, Anyone have any suggestions or warnings on a rear disc conversion set up? I know there are a number of companies doing them for the 14 bolt, seeking input, both good and bad. Weld on or Bolt on?

Thanks

72 Chevy SWB 4x4
71 Chevy SWB 4x4

My Work Truck

"Don't confuse enthusiasm with capability"
ljbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 12:54 PM   #2
SoCal71K20

I know there are several sources out there that supply parts or kits for the disc conversion, but I gotta tell ya, TSM out of Colorado is highly noted for their quality setups. I have used their parts and found them first rate. Caliper brackets are thick and bolt-on and they specialize in using made in USA parts and GM parts for GM applications. Don't have experience with others. Stainless Steel Brakes told me they use a F**d caliper on theirs.Might not matter to you, but it did to me. Good Luck.
SoCal71K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 01:06 PM   #3
ljbear

I've looked at a few and I'm leaning toward the AZ Kickin set up. Sounds similar to the TSM you mentioned. I'll check into TSM as well, first I've heard of them, Thanks

72 Chevy SWB 4x4
71 Chevy SWB 4x4

My Work Truck

"Don't confuse enthusiasm with capability"
ljbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 03:27 PM   #4
drink2mny

Just a heads up. Not that any of the other companies are better or worse.
Besure not to get a kit that has tube type spacers that go over the bolts to the caliper bracket..
We have seen c ouple fatigue and twist with the larger size tires..
As for the weld on type. If you never plan to break your rearend or twist an axle tube, take out your spindle if bearings let go. Then I would look at those, Plus being a good welder would help.
Brakes are not to be weakly made..
That is where We step in Blackbird's Custom Trucks.
We have sold a couple kits to folks on this site. Not just 14 bolt but eaton, 12 bolts and dana 60's.
We just dealt with budweis if you would like to ask about customer relations.
If you look at our site you will notice we do not sell the backing plate seperate.Our backing plate matches the rotors we buy..
We have come to find out that there are different thickness of rotors and lug studs hole differences to were your lug studs will not fully seat properly into the holes..

Not that were better, Just an option you have..
As for the difference in braking. i know with the larger tires it made a huge difference.I run 38's and 36's on my blazer with a 14 bolt.. No locking up after playing in the mud like the drums did..No 3 hours to take apart and clean out the drums.. Loss of weight is always nice and ease to replace pads is a HUGE plus over changing drum pads.

i also have disc on my '72 2 wheel with a d60 in it.. tow stuff and haul heavy loads and daily drive.. You can feel the difference over drums..