The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2004, 06:24 AM   #1
JREs69er

Question Brake drum removal!!!

I was attempting to pull the drums on my K20 this weekend and had some problems, I can't get them off. I have an eaton rear end and someone told me that I needed to open the rear differential and pull the c-clip to remove the axles. He also mentioned something about the spider gears falling out and having to realign them. Is this true?

Also, I have heard people having problems getting parts for these type of setups, Eaton/Drum. I know they have disc conversion kits but from what I have been reading there isn't a real improvement in braking distance. Any ideas or advice.
JREs69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 11:44 AM   #2
Dean

There are no C-clips. Take the bolts out of the hubs and the axles will just pull out. No alignment of spider gears needed either. You will need the special socket to get the nut off then the drums will come off.

I've had no problems with getting parts.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 03:00 PM   #3
Budweis
Geared for Collision

just undo the bolts on the end of the axles, and it will pull out then there are two nuts the first of which will have tabs pulled up that you will have to push down that hold the hub and drum on. you dont need the special tool prob as i had one but the nuts just came off tapping with screwdriver. pic below shows what holds the hub and drum on. if getting drums turned you'll have to remove the wheel studs to seperate it from the hubs
Attached Images

1977 Corvette Coupe
Budweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 03:32 PM   #4
drink2mny

First you will need to remove the axle bolts and slide out the axle shaft. The wheel bearings on the full float rear axles are packed with grease, however, the axle lubricant does reach the wheel bearings and will spill out. I suggest putting a bucket under the work area and have a few rags handy.

Now you will need to remove the outer nut. First use a screw driver to flatten the lock washer tab or tabs that have been bent over. Remove outer nut, lock washer and inner nut.That is where a special socket comes in or use a screwdriver Now you can also remove the outer bearing.

Pull the drum and hub off.
Now you will need to remove all the wheel studs to separate the hub from the drum, either press or hammer with a brass drift..I recommend replacing all the wheel studs at this time. You will also want to inspect, clean and repack the wheel bearings or besure to tilt the axle to get rear fluid to the outsides..

Some info from our installation instructions from Blackbird's..
Old 05-25-2004, 05:16 AM   #5
JREs69er

Thanks guys, appreciate the help.
JREs69er is offline   Reply With Quote