The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2019, 03:44 PM   #1
weim55

thoughts/experience using used OEM to repair rockers,floor and cab corners?

I have a '67 C10 that has typical inner and outer rocker, floor and cab corner rust that needs repair. Purchased a rust free 71 cab from a motorhome. Unfortunately the motorhome cab has the entire back cut out of it so it is only usable for parts. Looking at the way these cabs are assembled-welded from the factory I'm not sure this is doable to cut the sections from the 71 cab and transfer/weld them into the 67. My initial thought was to cut out only what was necessary in the 67 and then duplicate the cuts out of the 71, Cab corner, inner and outer rocker + section of the floor about 6 inches in of the rocker panel, all in one piece, per side. This doesn't look very doable cleanly because of places where the metal is layered and difficult to cut-weld completely. Maybe I should do the whole damn floor (?) Or is this a bad idea altogether?

Thoughts??

Thanks,

Steve weim55 Colorado

Last edited by weim55; 02-05-2019 at 05:26 PM.
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:27 PM   #2
B. W.

Re: thoughts/experience using used OEM to repair rockers,floor and cab corners?

I prefer OE used over aftermarket. It's a lot more work but you end up with a quality panel. The aftermarket panels are better than nothing but the stampings aren't crisp like OE and some details are missing. Not to mention fitment - I have a replacement outer rocker with a 1/2" bow on the bottom! Not a dent, the entire rocker is "hogged". Try taking that out.

I cut the roof panel out of a donor truck. Lot of work but it came out nice, the fit was almost perfect.

I'd do the whole floor vs. doing sections.
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:21 PM   #3
weim55

Re: thoughts/experience using used OEM to repair rockers,floor and cab corners?

I've done floor sections using rust free used on '60 and '70 Buicks. They were a dead nuts match right down to the placement of the spot welds (!!) after that experience I really wanted to use OEM on this truck if it all possible.

Steve weim55 Colorado
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote