The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-27-2004, 07:32 PM   #1
plumbcut
california fill

massive creaking sounds from front end

A couple years ago I rebuilt a 4x4 pickup completely, from the ground up. The front end now creaks hellaciously whilst turning the steering wheel left to right (and back), especially at slow speeds like pulling into or out of a tight parking space.

Anyone ever experience something like this? The frame was powder coated and Im thinking its the rivets creaking where they have started to (surface) rust... I dont really want to bathe my truck in wd40 to see if its the culprit. The frame is pristine (no steering box cracks), has an AGR steering box, urethane body/spring/motor/swaybar/etc mounts EVERYWHERE, a steering box brace, the steering box has grade 8 studs that are TIGHT.

There is about 4 inches of lift, with the appropriate dropped steering arm. The front axle knuckles have new Dana ball joints upper & lower, and new tie rod ends everywhere.

If I sit under the front end while someone turns it, it doesnt really seem to come from a specific location, just sort of everywhere. Any advice? The truck started doing this a few months ago (not driven very often).. Maybe I will take a video w/ good sound of the truck.. My truck drives along the road *****in, and sounds like a tight truck. No squeaks, rattles, etc, until I make a tight slow turn and it creakkkks..... There sure is a lot of flex in the front end & frame on this old pickup, especially for having just medium sized tires and lift (4" and 33's)....

plumbcut
plumbcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 07:59 PM   #2
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbcut
urethane body/spring/motor/swaybar/etc mounts EVERYWHERE
i think you just answered your own question.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 09:19 PM   #3
C&C Chevy

Check to see if the rotors are loose. I put new ones on mine and it developed the same sounds as yours. After rechecking them, it turned out the pass. side rotor was loose. I put it back on a notch tighter on the castle nut.

Current:
1986 SWB Silverado 4.3 / TH400

Past:
1985 SWB Silverado 305 / TH350 - sold 1995
1987 1/2 ton Silverado - FI 350 / 700R4 sold 2007
C&C Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 11:53 PM   #4
cliffsta
Stepsides RULE

hmmm, maybe power steering pump? My mom's 98 ford windstar's power steering pump SCREAMS when you turn at slow speeds, IE when the power steering is utilized the most. A whailing power steering pump usually starts out quiet and progressivly gets worse until it s all you here. Just a thought. If you ever replaced it with anything but OE then it won't take long for it to start screaming. My 80 C10 has the original power steering pump and I'm praying it lasts since from what i hear replacements suck. Hope that helps.
2009 Kawasaki KLX-250S too many mods for this signature
1999 Honda Accord EX 4-cylinder, 17" Motegi Wheels 215/45/17 Sumitomo tires, Tein S-Tech lowering springs, KYB GR2 shocks, Acura TL 20mm rear swaybar, debadged, blackhoused headlights, Short-Ram Intake
Cardomain of the Accord
cliffsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 03:34 AM   #5
plumbcut
california fill

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&C Chevy
Check to see if the rotors are loose. I put new ones on mine and it developed the same sounds as yours. After rechecking them, it turned out the pass. side rotor was loose. I put it back on a notch tighter on the castle nut.
now thats a thought. Seems like a longshot, but Ill definately check it out.

as far as it being bushings or the pump, its definately neither of them. Its a stress creak sound, like the sound that you get when you walk on an old wooden subfloor...

pc
plumbcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 05:06 PM   #6
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

when was the last time you greased your chassis?
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 10:55 PM   #7
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Originally Posted by plumbcut
urethane body/spring/motor/swaybar/etc mounts EVERYWHERE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FaastC10
i think you just answered your own question.
That was my thought too. PC do you think it the dreaded urethane bushing groan? They can make some pretty nasty noise. I learned that a long time ago on a lift kit with those pretty yellow bushing. I had no idea they would require a half a can of WD-40 after every off road adventure....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:12 AM   #8
Skull Bucket

Re: massive creaking sounds from front end

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&C Chevy View Post
C&C Chevy - thanks for sharing !! I been going nuts over the same issue and after I read your post I went and checked my front wheels and sure enough just the slightest play was present...I had opted for a tad on the loose side so as not to put excessive pressure on the bearings....but turns out that one notch "loose" on the castle nut was just enough to be the difference between a quiet wheel and a creaking wheel!
Skull Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote