The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2004, 11:53 AM   #1
paintpyro

Angry [B]One of those days[/B]

Driving from my place to the ex's place for my weekend with my daughters, and I get a call from my roommate. She says her dad noticed an oil puddle where I was parked. Sure enough, my oil pan gasket crapped out at the front and right side, total mess. 2 or 3 quarts unloaded. I have my 8 in the 6 position. Someone said that there arent any crossmember issues when removing the pan from this spot. Can anyone confirm this? How long do you think it would take to replace? And if I got frustrated with time constraints and such, how much do think a shop would charge to replace it?
rallys and BFGs
-We can rebuild it, we have the technology-lower,shinier,faster

Last edited by paintpyro; 05-24-2004 at 12:43 PM.
paintpyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 03:29 PM   #2
68 Suburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpyro
Driving from my place to the ex's place for my weekend with my daughters, and I get a call from my roommate. She says her dad noticed an oil puddle where I was parked. Sure enough, my oil pan gasket crapped out at the front and right side, total mess. 2 or 3 quarts unloaded. I have my 8 in the 6 position. Someone said that there arent any crossmember issues when removing the pan from this spot. Can anyone confirm this? How long do you think it would take to replace? And if I got frustrated with time constraints and such, how much do think a shop would charge to replace it?
Im not trying to second guess you, but from the location, I would check the plug bolt right next to the fuel pump before I replace the gasket. If this is missing, your truck will pee oil at that location. Just a thought
Old 05-24-2004, 03:40 PM   #3
paintpyro

Thanks Christopher, actually please second guess away. I heard somewhere that there is a bolt in the motor mount that taps in there as well. Can anyone confirm it?
rallys and BFGs
Old 05-24-2004, 06:34 PM   #4
busterwivell

Christopher is right, Paint. I don't know of one at the motor mount though. If the one Christopher is talking about is gone, you'll dump oil like crazy. Check that first.
66 Chevrolet Malibu 2 dr 4 speed
71 Chevrolet C30 Longhorn
86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (Sold)
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
busterwivell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 08:19 PM   #5
Cethern
What was I thinking??

Bolts

There are two Holes for bolts I'm not sure if both of them will leak so I just put two short bolts in each hole if you put one to long in you could hit the fuel pump push rod not a good thing.

As to the motor mount question I would say no.

Cethern
Old 05-24-2004, 10:46 PM   #6
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Those 2 holes on the front of the block are the old motor mounts (1950s). The lower one is blind it is only the upper that hits oil. Be sure to use a very short bolt and a dab of sealer too.

You are not going to leak that much from a pan gasket. The oil doesn't sit that high (enough to leak). It has to be a pressurized (dynamic) leak.
I have seen timing chain covers worn through by a loose chain. This will give you a good leak too.

Last edited by LONGHAIR; 05-24-2004 at 10:59 PM.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 11:54 PM   #7
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

if you do need to remove the pan, yes it will drop out with the eng in place(I 6 position on a sb). i sure would check all of the other options 1st tho. you might also look at the seal on the front(for balancer). they seem to be a pretty good suorce for an oil leak ,if the balancer has a groove worn in. felpro puts out a repair kit for that, that covers the seal & includes a "speedy sleeve" to drive onto the balancer. Best of luck,crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 10:12 AM   #8
paintpyro

Thanks guys. I got my Castrol Super Clean and my cans of brake cleaner ready. I'm crawlin under tonight.

CrazyL, do you have a part number on the balancer kit, I've noticed that I have a little oil sittin down there, even before the blowout.
rallys and BFGs
Old 05-25-2004, 08:54 PM   #9
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

no, i sure dont have the pn(sorry),but You can get the seal & sleeve at about any parts house that carries felpro. good luck,crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 09:21 PM   #10
bigvinnie

Napa would be a good place to get one of those sleeves that you can tap on to the balancer, where the timing cover seal has worn a groove.... did one myself a while back and it stopped the leak.

72 Stepside Project
bigvinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 09:59 PM   #11
jostrans68
Jostrans68

I also recomend the new felpro 1 pc gasket its a bit more cash but a lot better. I am installing one on my new 350... good luck
Old 05-25-2004, 10:09 PM   #12
Mountain Man

My 67 had the 350 in the I6 position. I dropped the pan and installed a chrome pan on it. I used the Felpro one piece, and it eliminated alot of 4 letter words of frustration. It is tight replacing the pan while engine is still installed, but I am a rookie driveway mechanic, and I did it with few problems.
A/C dash
Factory tilt
350 / 350 power train - with Edelbrock components.
Mountain Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 10:55 PM   #13
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

the fuel pump plate gasket or plate bolts can cause a leak also.
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 10:12 AM   #14
paintpyro

Well gang, I dropped the pan last night. It did have a blowout on the gasket near the second front bolt on the right side. I'll clean her up good, might even throw some Chevy orange on her. Once its back on, I'll throw a new fuel pump gasket for cheap insurance since its clean. I'll still need to pull the timing cover at some point to ditch my gear drive. How hard is that one? thanks for all the help.
rallys and BFGs
Old 05-26-2004, 12:07 PM   #15
Bobalouie
Fetzer Valve Technician

If you are going to pull the timing cover, do it now. You will have to drop the oil pan in order to pull the cover. It is not that bad, you have to pull the water pump, and a few misc easy items, the hardest part is the balancer removal/install. But just go to autozone and borrow the puller and installer, and it is pretty easy.