The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-25-2004, 02:48 PM   #1
Russell
Professional Grade

Thumbs down Just a small rant

<rant on>

Argh, anyone else hate it when their truck has a problem and everyone tells them to sell it and buy a freakin little Honda?!

Makes me so mad, my truck motor blows a gasket "Sell it, go get a little car" "your truck sucks anyways"

NO DUH, why else do you think I'm working on it?! I don't care if it costs me a lot of money, when all is said and done for, my truck will be just as good if not better than most any vehicle out there, for a quarter of the price too! Not everyone can go out and buy a 50 000 dollar Duramax, I'd much rather spend 15 - 20 thousand, and get a truck that will haul just as much, and go twice as fast doing it, with the ability to say -- Hey, I built that, how much have you done on your 50 000 dollar duramax?

Ugh, I dunno if anyone else gets this too, but it annoys the heck outta me, no way I'm gonna sell my pride and joy for some little honda just because I blew a gasket somewhere, or becuase it runs a little rough when its cold, I'd much rather put 3500 into my 355 and put that in than spend 3500 on a stupid little ugly car that I'd be embarrassed to drive!!

<rant off>

Anyways, what would cause a truck to decide to run like a peice (one or two cylinders firing only) until you get up to about 1500 RPM, just to have the truck run good afterwards?

And does anyone have a set of 5.7 Vortec heads they can give to me cheap? My heads are tickin a bit as well...
Old 05-25-2004, 02:59 PM   #2
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

do yourself a favor, and buy a civic kid you'll get better gas mileage :p
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 03:05 PM   #3
Russell
Professional Grade

arrgh, I hate you Liz =P

Thats exactly what I keep hearing...

I'll take a honda if I get it for free, and I'll be sure to bag the heck out of it over the winter while I get the GMC running tip top with a shiny new 355...
Old 05-25-2004, 03:20 PM   #4
Grande Rojo
paper or plastic?

yup here it alot......... All I have to say is the money I spend on gas and repairs is FAR less than your $100 month car insurance and $400 car payment that a new honda would cost

Grande Rojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 03:28 PM   #5
Prerunner1982

yep i hear it too.. i also hear "why dont you just buy a 4x4"... my typical response is why dont YOU buy ME a 4x4? if they are so worried about it. as far as it running rough until 1500 rpm.. does it run bad just on start up? or anytime its not over 1500rpm?
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 04:30 PM   #6
8t5Silverado
Mudslides 'r my specialty

No, but after I tell people my plans, I usually get, "WHY!? It's just an old Chevy truck!"

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/500339
8t5Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 04:36 PM   #7
dubie

I hear it all the time Russ. I have torn my truck down to the rolling chassis ans as guys would see it they would say " why didn't you just buy one for $5000 that's already done". The entire reason for getting into a project like this, is to have something that you built in the end. The little ricers can onyl say " well, i bolted on that header, and had someone install the stereo and then another guy.....blah blah blah"
Now that the truck iis starting to come back together, they are saying " when are you gonna have it done, we wanna see the finished product". Trust me bud, you will be better off in the end building it yourself. You learn a lot from the experience and from your mistakes which I have made many of It's all part of the learning curve bud. Just make a point of saying " how many of those HOndas will be around after 30+ years??" My truck is now 32 years old and sure it's neede some new metal welded in, but it was still running strong up until a year ago when I yanked the inline out of it

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 05:55 PM   #8
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

What I used to get when I worked for a local construction company was what does someone your age want with something like that? MY AGE? What does that have to do with a damn thing? Is it not just as much fun to have a fast, lowered truck at 45-50 years old as it is at 20?

I like old stuff. Anyone with enough money can buy these new cookie cutter vehicles. Don't get me wrong, they are nice, but heck, there's a million of them on the road. Nothing special about any of them. I want to be different. My truck may not be a classic yet, but it is a little different, and the best thing, I did it all.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 06:41 PM   #9
shavedchevy

I have heard that line countless times before....." why don't you get a new truck that is more reliable and sensible......" and I say that why would you want to have a vehicle that evryone else has. You wouldn't believe how many looks and compliments I get frtom complete strangers. And evrytime I get one I get a huge grin on my face. It's that feeling that keeps neagative opinions out of my mind.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:16 PM   #10
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
arrgh, I hate you Liz =P
can we feel the love It is annoying and does suck... Mike I get the age thing too my mom always asks when I plan on growing out of the "hot rod" stage
Old 05-25-2004, 08:20 PM   #11
Russell
Professional Grade

Glad I'm not the only one who is a "senseless teenager who is gonna blow all his money on a truck he will sell in a couple of years when he grows out of it"

I don't think so :P I won't even sell the rotted, barely running, smoking, bedless GMC as it is today! I still think its the best truck on the road!

Its a bit of a guy thing -- Kinda like how a guy can be bald, have a pot belly, a beard, and walk around with no shirt, and still think he is sexy -- My truck may not be that much, but in my eyes, best peice on the road!
Old 05-25-2004, 08:47 PM   #12
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell

Its a bit of a guy thing -- Kinda like how a guy can be bald, have a pot belly, a beard, and walk around with no shirt, and still think he is sexy -- My truck may not be that much, but in my eyes, best peice on the road!

A GUY THING??????????????????????????????????????????? LLESSUR YOU KNOW BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wanna see Heather read about her guy thing, or Shawna , or even the new girl with the neato truck (sorry I don't knwo your name) Now REPENT you MAN PIG!!!!!!
Old 05-25-2004, 08:54 PM   #13
Slams_58
Account Suspended

Russell... russell ... russell... watch the mouth lil man..you're not too far for me to come kick your oh so manly ass!
Slams_58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 09:05 PM   #14
Russell
Professional Grade

Manley? HA funniest thing I've ever heard :P

hehe

Sorry, "mostly" a guy thing, with some exceptions -- Which of course are usually the best girls anyways

(yess, way to score some brownie points...)

You girls are awesome, any girl that drives a truck and loves it just as much as I love my pile is simply awesome, we'll leave it at that, lol
Old 05-26-2004, 03:13 AM   #15
68 Stepside
huh?

Hey Russ,

I know exactly what you mean man. All I ever hear is "why don't you just sell that truck and get something that's done?"

#1. I can't afford it
#2. My truck is exactly that, my truck.
#3. I'd never get exactly what I want with a "finished" vehicle.
#4. I have so much money into it now, it's ignorant to try and get rid of it.

The reasons go on and on. Just brush off the comments, and make your truck what you want it to be. You won't regret it.
Things we said today.

RIP El Jay
68 Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 03:49 AM   #16
southernmutt33

yup i hate that to... but i do own a car for the family that gets good milege....i might sell my truck but not because of the work i have to do on it an damn sure not becuase of the mpg......

if ya cant afford to buy it, then be hillbilly enough to build it, it's cheaper to build it anyway.....

be a man, stand up to your women an tell them your the boss, an if she dont like that, then ask her if she needs help around the house...

http://public.fotki.com/southernmutt33/

84 GMC 454, 3/4 soon to be a dually with one ton suspension.
60 1/2, lwb stepside..for sale
98 taurus, ugliest body stlye ford ever built, but dependable family car.
73 vistaliner, cab over, newest toy, reason for turnin 3/4 into 1 ton
southernmutt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 06:44 AM   #17
scalawag

i love my truck too guys. we have what is basically an end of an era in these trucks. thats why i love mine so much.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:43 AM   #18
NeCrOmAnCeR

Don't forget that you will be the first one your friends come to when they need to move/tow something. The litle rice burners aren't good for any real work. Next time they do just tell them "why don't you sell that thing and buy a real vehicle."
NeCrOmAnCeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 12:03 PM   #19
85Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeCrOmAnCeR
Don't forget that you will be the first one your friends come to when they need to move/tow something. The litle rice burners aren't good for any real work. Next time they do just tell them "why don't you sell that thing and buy a real vehicle."
yup...i know that one....helped move 2 people recently who asked why i bought a piece of junk a couple of months ago when i got the truck.

So what if it driveshaft dropped out 30 mins after taking delivery of it, and that the rear drums were full of more oil and grease then a grease trap at mcdonalds, or that it needs new doors, front fenders, grille, a frontend rebuild, new floor pans and rocker panels and some wheel arch patch panels on the bed....i still rather drive this then their little penny racer. lol

'78 C20 Scottsdale
350ci
3 speed with granny gear
14 bolt rearend

My trucks are "Car-Guy safe".......which pretty much means death trap in the hands of a normal civilian.
85Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 01:09 PM   #20
Grim Reaper

I bought a Honda Accord. Gets 30mpg.

Trucks sit in the drive way collecting dust. Wife drives the Burb where she needs to go to the store or run a kid somewhere.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 01:59 PM   #21
71-longbed
Its Magically Delicious

i get more people complimenting me ..... And it feels good after working on a vehicle and then a day or 2 later .. having someone say " hey nice truck man" or " The trucks real straight,.... what year is it??"
I bet the farm all these guys driving new trucks .. never get someone saying similar things ... all they get it the monthly bill in the mail
In my personal opinion .. i haven't seen a newer body style of truck that really caught my eye .... They all look so similar

My advice is : Give those ignorant people as much crap for owning plastic hondas ..as they give you for owning an American truck ...

thats just me though

Of all my favorite things to do, The utmost is to have a brew.
My love grows for my foamy friend, with each thirst-quenching elbow bend.
Beer so frosty, smooth, and cold it's paradise pure liquid gold.
Yes beer means many things to me that's all for now cus I gotta pee.
71-longbed is offline   Reply With Quote