The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2019, 10:07 AM   #1
panhead59

Clutch fork problem

Working on a GM ( Pontiac) V8 with muncie 4 speed. I know its not my truck but same/similar parts. Tranny wouldn't shift at all. Found adjustment rod for clutch had poked a hole right through the end of round "pocket" on end of clutch fork ! Went through 1/2" or so, so it was way out of adjustment, to say the least. I CAN'T SEEM TO REMOVE FORK FROM BELLHOUSING. I've got it off the pivot ball pretty good but then can't remove fork. Any tips/suggestions before i have to remove tranny? I might/should anyway to see what's going on. Might be bad throwout bearing or other end of fork could be messed up. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

1959 H-D Panhead. Owned since 1978. Currently with son in Lawton, OK.
1968 Chevy Custom SWB pick up. Fleetside. Lowered 4/6. Totally refurbished. 1966 Pontiac GTO. 4 speed. Saved original 389. Now has slightly built 455 engine. 355 rear gears. Very fun to drive !
panhead59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:36 AM   #2
AussieinNC

Re: Clutch fork problem

If this is a pressed metal fork, you will have to remove the trans to get the fork out as it comes out thru the clutch area...

If this fork is a cast metal style fork, there is a wedge piece that fits on the release rod and sits in a groove in the cast fork. When the wedge fails, the rod pushes straight thru the release fork hole. See attached pic, the rod at bottom of pic shows the wedge

You can remove the rod and replace the wedge piece without removing the trans...
Attached Images

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:45 PM   #3
Wrenchbender Ret

You can weld the hole up without removeing the lever.
George
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:49 AM   #4
panhead59

Update- pulled tranny. Found fork damage. The clips that hold pivot ball are broken off about half way. Adjustment rod that poked hole in fork bent pretty good on end. Pilot and throwout bearings look good. Less than 2000 miles on them. So it wasn't running like this for long. Fix- replace fork and rod. Look for any misalignment during install. Did i miss anything ? Too bad the adjustment rod didn't, or doesn't now come with a roller ball on it like the one in my '59 Harley !

1959 H-D Panhead. Owned since 1978. Currently with son in Lawton, OK.
1968 Chevy Custom SWB pick up. Fleetside. Lowered 4/6. Totally refurbished. 1966 Pontiac GTO. 4 speed. Saved original 389. Now has slightly built 455 engine. 355 rear gears. Very fun to drive !
panhead59 is offline   Reply With Quote