The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2019, 10:55 AM   #1
cgster

Best wiring harness kits?

My 72 C10 that I purchased not to long ago had an old alarm system, radio system and steering column from a newer model truck, so its got wires running everywhere that I have no clue about, and im far from being electrically inclined with this stuff, so I just want to rip this old wiring out and start over since most of the lights only work have the time. Anyway, do most wiring kits come with all the wiring (steering, ignition, all lights etc..) or are some limited? Also, what is the best kit for the less electrically inclined? Thanks.
cgster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:40 AM   #2
68 P.O.S.

Re: Best wiring harness kits?

Depends on what you want as there are several companies out there. If you want to go stock and keep it simple, M&H is the way to go. Their harnesses are plug and play and you can customize them a bit. Talk to them and see what they can do for you http://www.wiringharness.com/. If you want more circuits or more custom-ability, American Autowire is another great company. There's also Painless, Ron Francis, and a few others. Yes, these kits come with everything you need and run around $650-ish depending on any upgrades or additions you may make.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:34 PM   #3
MySons68C20

I'm very happy with my American Autowire (AAW) harness. 68 is right, there are a lot of extra circuits for power windows, courtesy lights etc you may not use.
My .02
MySons68C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 01:56 PM   #4
webfoot

M&H and AAW harnesses are both quality, and very similarly priced.

1970 K-20 4-speed, factory AC.
webfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:30 PM   #5
68 P.O.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webfoot View Post
M&H and AAW harnesses are both quality, and very similarly priced.
Both were the same company at one time. Not sure why they split. I've used products from both and they are excellent quality. I've used Painless as well and was very satisfied with them too.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:48 PM   #6
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. View Post
M&H is the way to go. Their harnesses are plug and play
This sums it up perfectly. All connector ends, wire gauge and color are exact replica of original.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:41 PM   #7
cgster

Are M&H and AAW harnesses fairly easy to install when you have very little electrical knowledge? I dont need any extra/additional wiring as most everything will be stock.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:08 PM   #8
Auroch

In my humble opinion, this harness kicks ass:
https://www.painlessperformance.com/wc/10206

Every single wire is clearly named/colored coded. Quality is outstanding.

Cheers.
Auroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:11 PM   #9
cgster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auroch View Post
In my humble opinion, this harness kicks ass:
https://www.painlessperformance.com/wc/10206

Every single wire is clearly named/colored coded. Quality is outstanding.

Cheers.
Auroch, does the painless kit cover wiring for the whole truck, including the needed wiring that connects to the steering column?
Old 03-26-2019, 05:24 PM   #10
Auroch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgster View Post
Auroch, does the painless kit cover wiring for the whole truck, including the needed wiring that connects to the steering column?
Absolutely everything. I did have to get an adaptor to my steering column (it's custom), but if you're keeping it stock it'll hook right up.
Auroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:42 PM   #11
Willys_MB

Quote:
You do have to buy a crimping tool with the painless harness, which I've heard can be pricey, but I haven't done any of my own research. I'm looking for a wire harness to do next winter, so this is a great thread!

A lot of people I've personally spoken with have suggested AAW because you can customize it to exactly what you need (in case you've added an HEI, or some other non-stock options), everything is labeled clearly (which is common with these higher end harnesses) and very easy to install! I do believe that AAW requires you to enlarge hole in your firewall; I'm not sure about the others, though.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:45 PM   #12
derotoreut
Roto Reuter thats the name...

I've done both AAW and Painless. All I can say is Painless is painful. AAW all the way. See reasons above. ^^^^

1970 SWB Fleet K10 4X4, 5.3L LM7, 4L60E, Dakota Digital RTX, Vintage Air, Ididit tilt
1971 SWB Fleet C10 - Original SWB Arizona truck, new custom restoration project

"Kick out your motor and drive while you're still alive - kick it out!" - Heart 1977
derotoreut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:54 AM   #13
jeffahart

Quote:
Are M&H and AAW harnesses fairly easy to install when you have very little electrical knowledge? I dont need any extra/additional wiring as most everything will be stock.
On a scale of 1-10 ten being most difficult it's about a 2 maybe 3. Very easy. Go to the AAW site, the M&H site and painless. Look at what they have to offer. You can look at all the install PDFs on the AAW site. They are pretty thorough.

The classic update is a common choice. I used it, so I will give info on that upgrade.
Here's what you should know.
The kit does not support the ammeter and you are encouraged to move off external voltage regulator.

Knowledge you need: how to read simple instructions. You need to understand the importance of grounding. Ground it, and clean the grounding surface. Ground it good... get good grounding... make sure it's grounded. Did I mention grounding is important? I wish I could say I said enough on the importance of grounding and how people chase their tails, blaming components and such, because of a simple ground! Take heed! Check all your grounding straps.

Tools you need: Get the proper crimper for the packard connectors. Get a good auto wire stripper(really saves time and gives a clean strip) I posted a link to one on amazon. Get heat shrink wire wrap for the connectors. A cheap little hand torch from harbor freight to shrink the wrap. Get a soldering gun(I did a fair amount of soldering. If you don't know how to solder... learn!).

https://www.amazon.com/Kinee-Adjusta...03&s=hi&sr=1-4

Plan ahead on what you intend to do about the ammeter and your alternator. Check all grounding...

It's a fun and easy project... Have fun!

j
Old 03-27-2019, 11:57 AM   #14
MySons68C20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
On a scale of 1-10 ten being most difficult it's about a 2 maybe 3. Very easy. Go to the AAW site, the M&H site and painless. Look at what they have to offer. You can look at all the install PDFs on the AAW site. They are pretty thorough.

The classic update is a common choice. I used it, so I will give info on that upgrade.
Here's what you should know.
The kit does not support the ammeter and you are encouraged to move off external voltage regulator.

Knowledge you need: how to read simple instructions. You need to understand the importance of grounding. Ground it, and clean the grounding surface. Ground it good... get good grounding... make sure it's grounded. Did I mention grounding is important? I wish I could say I said enough on the importance of grounding and how people chase their tails, blaming components and such, because of a simple ground! Take heed! Check all your grounding straps.

Tools you need: Get the proper crimper for the packard connectors. Get a good auto wire stripper(really saves time and gives a clean strip) I posted a link to one on amazon. Get heat shrink wire wrap for the connectors. A cheap little hand torch from harbor freight to shrink the wrap. Get a soldering gun(I did a fair amount of soldering. If you don't know how to solder... learn!).

https://www.amazon.com/Kinee-Adjusta...03&s=hi&sr=1-4

Plan ahead on what you intend to do about the ammeter and your alternator. Check all grounding...

It's a fun and easy project... Have fun!

j
Best post ever!!
MySons68C20 is offline   Reply With Quote