The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-28-2004, 06:25 AM   #26
TwinTurbo

12K miles ?? WOW, what kind of rings were you using? I always use moly rings and run straight 30W oil to break in, after about 500-1000 miles they will be seated properly. In fact, if you baby the engine they will not break in at all and it could take a long time afterwards or forever. The ticket is not to baby it. Don't run high or constant revs, vary the rpms and do some full throttle accelerating to about 3500-4000 rpm a couple of times, also do some engine breaking. This will increase cylinder pressure and force the rings into the walls almost instantly seating them.
TwinTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 10:54 AM   #27
LOHRTBT
BeWarE tHe eViL CrAnkTOe!

Ok....question...my setup is backwards from that. Breather on the drivers side///pcv on the pass. Do i need to change this?? Any ill effects from having it done the way mine is?

- 1986 Chevy SWB - Stock for now
- 1986 Chevy Custom SWB *Stolen 6/26/05*
- 1985 Chevy SWB SOLD
- 1999 T/A Some mods
www.cardomain.com/id/ramairdave

AIM Screenname - Jester84
LOHRTBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 05:22 PM   #28
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

yes, 12K before they finally seated. and those were not 12K easy miles by any means. in fact, it was raced 5 weekends at the track, and god knows how many on the street. before anyone decides to reprimand me for it, my driving record has already done the work for you, i dont want to hear it.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 08:16 PM   #29
NeCrOmAnCeR

LOHRTBT No, it doesn't matter which side of the engine the breather or PCV valve is on, as long as they are on opposite sides from each other.

Last edited by NeCrOmAnCeR; 05-28-2004 at 10:00 PM.
NeCrOmAnCeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 10:46 PM   #30
zzChevy
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeCrOmAnCeR
LOHRTBT No, it doesn't matter which side of the engine the breather or PCV valve is on, as long as they are on opposite sides from each other.

Correct me if I'm wrong but venting to the atmospher via a breather is technically a vaccum leak. You want to recirculate that one without the pcv valve back into the air cleaner. You want a closed system at least for street.
zzChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 10:57 PM   #31
NeCrOmAnCeR

Sorry, not sure if I fully understand what you are saying. On all cars, the PCV valve is pulling air through the engine crank-case to prevent vapors from accumulating. Tha air enters the engine through the breather, then gets pulled through the PCV valve and into the carb/intake. Yes technically it is a vacuum leak, but the carbs/fuel injection systems take it into account. What I was trying to get across was that the breather can be on either valve cover, as long as the PCV valve is on the other valve cover it will be OK. The only reason it has to be on the opposite valvecover is so good crossflow is established within the engine.

Stock systems used a tube and filter mounted on the factory air cleaner, maby this is what you are talking about. Using a aftermarket breather which plugs directly into the valve cover does exactly the same thing.
NeCrOmAnCeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 12:40 AM   #32
zzChevy
BANNED

Right. So on one side you have the PCV to carb, the other side should be connected to the air cleaner directly from the valve cover. Member the old stock air cleaners we used to have on these things? Had a filter within a filter. Same thing should apply here.

What I am getting at is specifically my idling. I could not get it right no matter what i tried. Until I closed the system. Its close to perfect now.

Other than my damn column woes.

Granted, it might not work on everyones setup.

Thanks for reading

Last edited by zzChevy; 05-29-2004 at 12:44 AM.
zzChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 12:43 AM   #33
1972C10
Account Suspended

12k miles someone didnt hone that cylinder very well.

I always try to make my engine run kinda warm When the rings wont seat By putting cardboard over part of the radiator , Sometimes just being hot from a tight motor Will cause them to run hot ,

If you havent checked i suggest you have someone go in the truck and floor the pedal "with the engine Off" and check to see if your getting WOT i ran an edelbrock on my 3/4 ton for awhile with the stock bracketry and i wasnt getting full thorttle didnt matter since its a work truck but on a hot rod i gotta have that WOT.

If it turns out your not getting full throttle , What i do is get those spectre or russel throttle/trans brackets that are adjustable they always seem to do the trick and they bolt on at the back of the carb instead of the intake so spacers and tall intakes dont cause cable complications.
1972C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 01:34 AM   #34
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

i had a spectre bracket and it was crap. would barely work with my qjet and would not work at all with my edelbrock.

i bought at 30 dollar edelbrock bracket and it works perfect.
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 01:39 AM   #35
1972C10
Account Suspended

Hmm ive ran the Spectre brackets with no probs

The linkage was always different Seems Friend of mine gave me a brand new russel once aluminum it broke in half and i ended up hose clamping a bolt to it I woudlnt buy a russel alum. I had a plain chrome steel russel it was great.

My only problem on those spectres are forgetting to unhook the detent when changin/droping the trans.
1972C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 04:57 AM   #36
TwinTurbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzChevy
Right. So on one side you have the PCV to carb, the other side should be connected to the air cleaner directly from the valve cover. Member the old stock air cleaners we used to have on these things? Had a filter within a filter. Same thing should apply here.

What I am getting at is specifically my idling. I could not get it right no matter what i tried. Until I closed the system. Its close to perfect now.

Other than my damn column woes.

Granted, it might not work on everyones setup.

Thanks for reading
What a bunch of misinformation here. The PCV is a vacuum leak yes but your carb/injection system is calibrated to have it, it's just a different idle setting with the PCV system in place. It does not matter one bit where the air is going through, being a breather or carbon filter like on stock. As long as the air is filtered so that no unfiltered air enters the carb.

You are not venting to the atmosphere with a breather, there's no venting taking place, air enters through the rbeather, circulates through the crank case and is sucked into the carb. If you remove the PCV syste, and run 2 breathers or a collector scavenge/evac system (I have that on my other engine) you will notice idle rpm on the carb will be down and has to be adjusted.

Getting back to the stock system, the stock system hooks the pass. side valve cover to the air cleaner with a small tube and there's a carbon filter in the air cleaner housing (that's in most stock systems, I think that's what you are referring too right??) If you look closely the air OUTSIDE the filter is NOT fitlered, that's the case with the air going through the carbon filter too. The little tube is a cheap solution so the factory didn't have to resort to breathers. The carbon is there however for a reason, it's there to take up fuel vapors (carbon is porous and bonds almost anything, that's why you have to swallow the norrit stuff in case you poisoned yourelf with something like bleech or so) The carbon filter makes that no fue vapors enter the crank case via the tube after engine shut down. Same reason why many stock systems have a carbon canister on the fuel vent line from the tank, the canister gets sucked empty at engine start up when the purge solenoid engages. If it were not there fuel vapors could enter the crank case when the engine is shut down and mess up the oil. Oil develops acids and this can ruin the engine internals.
TwinTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote