The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2019, 03:28 PM   #1
Blk63vette

I played with 65 Chevy truck this weekend I have a question

Hello

I have been slowly working on my 1965 Chevy C10 truck. I managed to find a dipstick ( was missing when I bought truck I don’t know where it went) to put down into the engine today. I was happy to see black oil to full level on dipstick. I’m concerned about the black gritty stuff that was on bottom of dipstick. It’s not metal. This engine has not been touched since 1987. I would like to try and get it running again if possible. I was thinking the black gritty stuff could be deteriorating gasket or something?? What would you guys do before you started this engine?

Thanks

Pete

Last edited by Blk63vette; 04-07-2019 at 07:26 PM.
Blk63vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 03:46 PM   #2
Warrens69GMC

Re: I played with 65 Chevy truck this weekend I have a question

Change the oil, prime the oil pump.

Use fresh gas, not from the tank, check coolant level, change if necessary.
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 03:47 PM   #3
oem4me

Grit bad, new oil good. Pull the pan.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 03:49 PM   #4
Warrens69GMC

The grit is probably carbon.
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 04:48 PM   #5
jocko

Not sure what you mean by "bottom of the dipstick tube" - are you talking about where it seats in the block (i.e. grit OUTside the tube that is visible to the eye) - or are you saying there's gritty crap actually hangin on the dipstick when you pull it out and check the oil? I'm not sure how one could know there is black gritty stuff on bottom of dipstick tube (because it's down inside the oil pan) without removing the tube from the engine or having the engine apart (or using a fiber optic scope ) - just curious. First time I read your post quickly, I just assumed you meant gritty stuff on the dipstick itself when you checked the oil - but since you specifically stated "tube" - might need to clarify. Bottom line, if gritty crap is internal, at a minimum drain, refill AND prime. But considering how long it's been, Bruce's recommendation of pulling the pan, looking around, and cleaning it out is probably a good recommendation.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:24 PM   #6
Blk63vette

Smile Re: I played with 65 Chevy truck this weekend I have a question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Not sure what you mean by "bottom of the dipstick tube" - are you talking about where it seats in the block (i.e. grit OUTside the tube that is visible to the eye) - or are you saying there's gritty crap actually hangin on the dipstick when you pull it out and check the oil? I'm not sure how one could know there is black gritty stuff on bottom of dipstick tube (because it's down inside the oil pan) without removing the tube from the engine or having the engine apart (or using a fiber optic scope ) - just curious. First time I read your post quickly, I just assumed you meant gritty stuff on the dipstick itself when you checked the oil - but since you specifically stated "tube" - might need to clarify. Bottom line, if gritty crap is internal, at a minimum drain, refill AND prime. But considering how long it's been, Bruce's recommendation of pulling the pan, looking around, and cleaning it out is probably a good recommendation.
Hello

The dipstick itself has black oil and some black grit on it. I’m not sure what it is...It’s not Metal shavings but it’s clumpy and hard on the dipstick when
I put it all the way into the block. Weird that it’s on the bottom half of dipstick.

Pete

LoL I must be tired I read my post and even I was surprised,,,
Blk63vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 11:24 PM   #7
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I would drop the pan as suggested and get to cleaning everything. It would likely be a good idea to put a new oil pump and pickup in it since it is this far apart. Of course that is assuming that you have reason to believe that the engine will run. Also, if the cooling system has been sitting that long with coolant in it, the freeze plugs could very well be rusted through or very close to rusted through, unless they are brass.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote