The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2004, 10:55 PM   #1
73_K5_girlie

Where do I start!?!

Ok... I want my truck to be MY project, not my boyfriends project, I have an Alero that i asked him to do a few things to and now lets just say now HE has an Alero... So, being my first truck project I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by the list of things that i need to do..like the whole truck! I've decided i don't have the money or the space to tear it all down and do a frame off so I'm gonna have to go piece by piece. what do you all suggest as a good starting point? I'm doing the mechanical first and leaving the cosmetic work for after, sound right? I'm feelin swamped! I wanna get started, but i just go out there and look at it and shake my head and come back in! lol HELP!!!!

73 K5 Blazer
00 Alero
95 Firebird
92 Astro
73_K5_girlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 01:33 AM   #2
chevychic

First off, is it mechanically sound?
Start with doing your basic tune up. Get the timing dialed in right if it isn't already. Get all your general maintenance done. As you're doing all your maintenance, start looking for things on the truck that are worn and need replaced. Watch for leaks where you could replace seals, worn hoses, dangling wires, etc.
Does your rear differential have seepage or do you see oil spatters on your rear or front wheels? Could mean you need to replace your axle seals.

What I'm getting at is make sure your truck is reliable and won't dump you off in the middle of the road somewhere. Then go from there.

As your working on the mechanical, you can do cosmetic here and there as you have time and money.

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a horrible warning.

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think"
- Christopher Robin
chevychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 09:42 PM   #3
plumbcut
california fill

first thing is get your checkbook out, CHA CHING its gonna cost a lot of money to bring a '73 up to date..

mechanical before cosmetic is right, though.

pc
plumbcut is offline   Reply With Quote