The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-27-2019, 11:03 AM   #1
hdff

Occasional no start

A couple of months back on the way home from a c10 meet my truck left me stranded, wouldn’t start just a click. I figured it was the starter so I replaced it with a new one, same problem so I replaced the ignition switch and now the problem is intermittent. One turn of the key it will start, try it again and just a click. Any suggestions on what I need to look at next.. parts are on a 71 402 big block...

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 11:42 AM   #2
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Occasional no start

Check your battery and battery cables. Last time this happened to me I replaced those, the ignition switch and starter. Happened to have all the parts handy, and problem solved.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 04:42 PM   #3
hdff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Check your battery and battery cables. Last time this happened to me I replaced those, the ignition switch and starter. Happened to have all the parts handy, and problem solved.
The battery cable I have is new( couple of years old) still in good condition and large gauge except the ends aren’t crimped, just that cheesy bolt over strap holding the 1/0 wire, I ordered some crimp battery ends today and see if I can get a better connection

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394

Last edited by hdff; 04-27-2019 at 06:59 PM.
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 07:04 PM   #4
franken

If the solenoid clicks, measure the voltage to ground at the S-terminal with the key in the start position. Chances are it's low. Now trace the small + wire from the battery to the solenoid; that's the big part of the solenoid circuit.
Your engine should have a good ground, which means the big ground should go to the block.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:18 PM   #5
Sheepdip

Save your self a headache and install a Ford Solenoid to operate the weak GM one

http://www.oldengine.org/unfaq/solenoid.htm

https://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/...-_no_hot_start
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 01:51 AM   #6
franken

Adding parts to the issue is a bad idea, as is putting a bandaid on the problem. A better idea is to troubleshoot and resolve the issue.
Every GM vehicle made for 30 years or more used the same starter, solenoid and wiring, and 99.9% never had another solenoid installed.
When people see that they just think poor person couldn't solve the problem and decided to rig it.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:20 AM   #7
Sheepdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
Adding parts to the issue is a bad idea, as is putting a bandaid on the problem. A better idea is to troubleshoot and resolve the issue.
Every GM vehicle made for 30 years or more used the same starter, solenoid and wiring, and 99.9% never had another solenoid installed.
When people see that they just think poor person couldn't solve the problem and decided to rig it.
Well I guess I'm a "POOR PERSON" who decided to rig it. I currently own 3 GM powered vehicles and they all "START" every time with the help of a Ford solenoid.
I have also converted several other GM vehicles I have owned over the years, plus a few for friends that for some odd reason now start every time, and have even called to "Thank Me" for solving their issue.

The Ford solenoid can be placed in a out of the way area where it is not so noticeable, and most people would not even know it's was not part of the original equation.

Heat soak is an age old GM issue ( The Ford's do not have the issue) It's the placement of the solenoid down on top of the starter next to the exhaust that compounds the problem.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:57 AM   #8
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdip View Post
Well I guess I'm a "POOR PERSON" who decided to rig it. I currently own 3 GM powered vehicles and they all "START" every time with the help of a Ford solenoid.
I have also converted several other GM vehicles I have owned over the years, plus a few for friends that for some odd reason now start every time, and have even called to "Thank Me" for solving their issue.

The Ford solenoid can be placed in a out of the way area where it is not so noticeable, and most people would not even know it's was not part of the original equation.

Heat soak is an age old GM issue ( The Ford's do not have the issue) It's the placement of the solenoid down on top of the starter next to the exhaust that compounds the problem.
I have solved heat soak issues on a lot of vehicles this way.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:44 PM   #9
franken

Same answer. Heat soak is just another name for my wiring, or some component is bad and I can't or won't figure out why.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:53 PM   #10
Sheepdip

Quote:
Same answer. Heat soak is just another name for my wiring, or some component is bad and I can't or won't figure out why.
Same answer here too, I can and did figure out why then fixed it with a Ford Solenoid.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:49 PM   #11
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
I have taken the time to figure it out....usually a solenoid made in a different country with poor quality control.....if a ford relay is added it feeds a full battery voltage and they work. Even my old Sanger and Tahiti ski boats came with them brand new......

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:31 PM   #12
Wythac

Easy fix. The GM starter solenoid burns a spot on the contact patch for the electrical post that you attach your battery cable to.

Temporarily remove the wires from the starter. Loosen BOTH large nuts on the stud that you attach your positive cable to. Gently rotate the stud 90-180 degrees. This effectively moves a "clean" spot on that stud for the solenoid to contact. Your truck will now start.

The second time my truck does this to me with the same solenoid, I replace the solenoid...10(?) bucks. But they can be repaired, I usually replace that stud in the old solenoid and throw it behind the seat.
Wythac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:44 PM   #13
Boog
laying low

And some people replace the starter with a new style gear reduction starter and have no more problems. I've not tried it but many have. I guess being a gear reduction the newer style pulls less amps.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote