The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2019, 08:50 AM   #1
old51sedan

windshield install

Have a new Precision gasket and getting ready to install windshield in my truck. Was going to just go buy a section of rope, but wasn't sure which size. I've heard 1/4 and 1/8, the smaller sounds easy, but not sure. Now I'm thinking after watching video I should just order the rope with handle and hook tool for getting to gasket around the lip so it seals good. I rope and tool may be a good investment even if I never use it again. Any thoughts appreciated.
old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:55 AM   #2
bigmac73

Re: windshield install

i would like to know how it goes, Did you by a windshield sealant from CR Laurence?

I had mine installed a few years ago and then it rained the next week , I went out side and my whole dash was full of water. took it back after it dried out and they went back and sealed it
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:17 AM   #3
notsolo

1/4" is probably too big, handles not needed, 4" piece of broom stick or pvc pipe if you need it couple loops close to where your working. Nylon tool set and hook set from Harbor freight would help...little plastic pry bars etc....dish liguid water tape.....Tape off any paint you want to keep nice.. Urethane caulk up in the corners after its all together
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:19 AM   #4
68Gold/white

Rope about the size of lawn mower starter rope works well. I use WD 40 for lubricant...
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:34 AM   #5
Grumpy old man

1/8 cord works fine , if your installing it yourself with or without trim do yourself a favor and assemble the glass and gasket and trim , tape it in place and let it sit for a few days to allow the gasket to relax ,It will go together much easier . use the CR Laurence flow grade sealant . it remains pliable forever .

http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/sh...&ModelID=19964

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 06-04-2019 at 09:40 AM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:07 AM   #6
bigmac73

Grumpy,
Do you load the groove with sealant prior to installing or after inside the inner lip??
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:07 AM   #7
toolboxchev

Yea, that, What Grumpy says!

If your having troubles do a search on Windshield installs there is some good stuff on here.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:11 AM   #8
saxart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
1/8 cord works fine , if your installing it yourself with or without trim do yourself a favor and assemble the glass and gasket and trim , tape it in place and let it sit for a few days to allow the gasket to relax ,It will go together much easier . use the CR Laurence flow grade sealant . it remains pliable forever .

http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/sh...&ModelID=19964
Has anyone here used this product in drip rails like is says you can in the link above?
Old 06-04-2019, 11:03 AM   #9
Ironangel

The pinch weld needs to be a clean smooth (painted) surface so the gasket can easily slide over it and make a water tight seal. Watch a couple of videos and use the proper tools. The pro's use a woven or braided 1/4" nylon rope. Using a lube only makes a hell of a mess and invites leaks, clean rubber on clean paint will seal against any leaks. Use plenty of tape, I tape my glass every 6" or so especially at the corners. A properly installed gasket and glass wont need sealant. Drip rail leaks are often mistaken for windshield leaks so address your drip rails while the windshield is out! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOU_0HpS7To Shop around and get one these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 so you can use this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to seal your drip rails once and for all. A wire wheel on a 4" grinder with a sharpened screw driver will remove the old drip rail sealant. One package of sealant will do one truck. "Good Luck!"
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"

Last edited by Ironangel; 06-04-2019 at 11:14 AM.
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:08 PM   #10
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac73 View Post
Grumpy,
Do you load the groove with sealant prior to installing or after inside the inner lip??
No , After or you'll have a huge mess .

"Has anyone here used this product in drip rails like is says you can in the link above? "

No , Use Eastwood's 2K self leveling 1 tube should be enough .

https://www.eastwood.com/ew-2k-self-...yABEgIyDPD_BwE

I just did one of mine using the 3M 08307 and it works but you need the 2 cartridge gun and Eastwood's uses a standard $5.00 caulking gun , If your set on using 3M I have a brand new cartridge gun I'll sell for less . I have a few more trucks and I'll just buy Eastwood .

NOTE : These seam sealers set up quick 5-7 minutes so make sure your ready and prepared before you start .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 01:14 PM   #11
truckster

I always use glass cleaner to lubricate rubber seals. It wipes right off, so cleanup is easy.

Only use urethane if you don't plan to re-use the gasket in the future. Urethane is a glue, and it tends to tear the gasket when you attempt to remove it. And don't ever, ever use silicone on automotive glass. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to reseal a windshield someone used silicone on, and every trace of it has to be gone before the windshield can be resealed. The flow-grade butyl that Grumpy recommends is the right stuff. You don't need to do the whole windshield, either, just 12" in from each corner, between the rubber and the steel. Go down the edge about 4" and you should be good to go. That's the way the factory assembly manual recommends and that's how I always did it in my glass shop.

Pro tip: Have at least one helper, and start installing the windshield from the top. Once you get the top corners in, the rest of it is easy. Also make sure you have a hook tool to help pull the rubber over the pinchweld if it gets stuck.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:32 AM   #12
old51sedan

Thanks for all the reply. I do have a new precision gasket and no stainless trim. The truck was just painted inside and out, so the gasket area is all cleaned up and freshly painted. In the video I watched they didn't use any adhesive of any kind and I don't believe I seen them use anything to make it slide in easier. I do plan on getting a tool to help pull the gasket over the pinch weld when I get the rope.
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2019, 09:51 AM   #13
notsolo

Looking good. New Paint...Blue tape...Blue tape...Blue tape.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:06 AM   #14
cebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Gold/white View Post
Rope about the size of lawn mower starter rope works well. I use WD 40 for lubricant...
This is about what I used as well, they go in surprisingly easy. First windshield I have ever put in and it took maybe 10 minutes.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:25 PM   #15
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Be very careful if you use anything 1/8" in diameter. If you get in a tough spot and pull too hard it will cut the rubber gasket. 3/16" diameter rope is ideal for this.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:44 PM   #16
old51sedan

Thanks again for the reply. I went to buy some rope today and came home with 3/8", also have a tool for pulling the seal over the pinch weld. I believe I will sprayer with some thing a little slippery also. I'm going to install the back window first, then the windshield. I also have a roll of blue tape, I'm almost set to go. It maybe a week or but I will report back when done, one way or the other.

Last edited by old51sedan; 06-05-2019 at 07:46 PM. Reason: additional Information