The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-30-2019, 10:22 PM   #1
lutronjim

Tuff Stuff disappointment

Having to get another brake booster for my 70 C10 rebuilt one- several have said not to go rebuilt route so I decided to get one from Tuff Stuff.

Emailed Tuff Stuff and got list of what would fit my truck. Ordered on line from Summit. Summit is just an hour down the road (blessing and curse) so I went and picked it up last Tuesday.

Upon opening found no instructions and a letter that stated any marring of finish or just about anything would make unit non returnable.

First thing I noticed that mc push rod was way too short. Another mc rod along with another firewall push rod was included. Neither rod had anyway that I saw to adjust length.

I assumed that the short rod would just pull out and you could put in the long one. Pulling with fingers didn't remove it. Rather than risk screwing something up I called Tuff Stuff tech support and they have yet to call me back.

I also noticed that the firewall side rod has a clevis instead of a 'drilled hole' like the regular booster. The connecting pin just flopped around in the Tuff Stuff clevis.

While it might have worked - I don't know about the mc clearance - it would have had a lot of play on the firewall side and I think the pin would suffer some quick wear.

Going to take back next week.
lutronjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 12:40 AM   #2
RustyPile

Re: Tuff Stuff disappointment

I never have had much luck with Tuff Stuff boosters.. Had trouble with them when I had my shop.. Nearly every one had a fitment problem.. I did a full brake job on my '71 last year.. I went with the small diameter booster "conversion kit" sold by Summit.. I don't have the part number handy but it's the disc/drum unit listed as a conversion kit.. Includes a proper proportioning valve also.. It's priced at $169.99.. BTW, I needed the smaller diameter booster to clear my BBC's tall valve covers.. The mounting bracket includes a bell crank mechanism that decreases the pedal travel.. The kit came with instructions and everything fitted as indicated..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote