The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-03-2019, 03:24 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Lost title for frame only?

Anyone ever tried to get a title for a frame only? Ive had a title in the past for a frame but with the vins too (I know .. a no no).

I have a 71 SWB K10 frame Ill be using for a project and I have no paperwork for the frame, but all the correct paperwork for the rest. No biggie here in Washington, but Im just trying to consider way down the road if it ever decides to go by by.

So I was thinking Id try to figure out where all sets of numbers are at on the frame ... I think there is more than one place, and take those numbers in to a licensing place and have them run the numbers to make sure they are out of the system.

And then I would apply for a lost title or something along those lines. After I had the frame title I could go to the State Patrol and see if they would merge the cab and the frame as one good title.

Anyone ever do these kind of shenanigans? Im absolutely trying to keep this all above board.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:49 PM   #2
clay68c10

Re: Lost title for frame only?

I’d say ask the dmv, but you may get the deer in the headlights look.
It might be a good question for which ever police entity does the vin inspections.

The 2 vin locations are on the drivers rail. One by the PS pump area just aft of the down slope to the front crossmember and one under the cab just forward of the trailing arm crossmember. They are only partials, so that may not do you any good.
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:56 PM   #3
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I know a guy doing this with a Buick. Before some date, depending on the vehicles, the car being made whole and the donor have to be present, and then the peace officer (California Highway Patrol in this case), handle the swap of the VIN tag. It isn't cheating or theft if you have clear title on both. This is the only case I've ever heard of like it, though. And I don't know if it's a done deal, yet. He's still working on the car.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA

Last edited by Steeveedee; 07-03-2019 at 09:56 PM. Reason: typo
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:05 PM   #4
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I got a call from a local board member and he said the problem is going to be that the numbers are not the entire vin number, its only a partial.

I guess Ill just let it go and if it ever comes up down the road that someone wants it and cant deal with it I just go to the next person. Heck it may go down the road as a pile of parts. These trucks are getting so popular these days, a lot of locals know what I have and offer may come out of the blue haha!
Old 07-03-2019, 11:45 PM   #5
special-K
Special Order

I don't know why the numbers on the frame would be important since they are only partial VINs. Luckily here in MD they never look at that anyway. When registering you walk inside with the title, insurance info, and inspection certificate (if getting regular tags) and walk out with tags. I have never even had the VIN on the door jamb checked when pulled over. The guy doing inspection just looks at the body VIN-plate

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:56 PM   #6
CG
BlahBlahBlah

It's not important here either, never comes up. But it is important in some states and Canada. So I thought I would look in to it before I get overly serious about this project.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:32 AM   #7
tj1970cst

You can buy a replacement frame for lots of different cars and trucks. I thought the frame #'s were only useful to a collector type person trying to make sure it was all original. Or MAYBE the police in a theft case.
tj1970cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 06:35 AM   #8
clear-lake-gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
It's not important here either, never comes up. But it is important in some states and Canada. So I thought I would look in to it before I get overly serious about this project.
havent heard of any problems with the frame numbers here in canada id say if you had a clean title and a tag from the cab thats all you need.
clear-lake-gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:09 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

If you had the whole VIN there are ways to obtain a title by first registering it historic in a non-title state, then bring registration and bill of sale into the DMV. At least in MD, that's what they told me.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 07-04-2019, 11:08 AM   #10
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA

I live in SC, and here the title follows the cab only since it sports the VIN plate. I never heard of titling a frame only.
PROJECT JIGSAW 1967 GMC C3500
GREAT WHITE 1986 Blazer M1009
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:31 PM   #11
CG
BlahBlahBlah

My last K20 had a very interested buyer from Canada, but he backed out when the frame did not match the vin on the jamb. He said there is no way it would pass inspection because he had seen this sort of thing go awry in the past with buddies. I have no way of knowing whether this is true or not.

And yes its true, many states don't give a rip about the frame numbers as long as the vin plate matches the title, or registration depending on the state. But I have seen many members post over the years when buying a vehicle from another state they will require inspection, and one of those inspection points is the frame numbers.

As far as buying an entire after market frame, sorry I don't have Scrooge McDuck kind of money ... sheesh.
Old 07-04-2019, 02:12 PM   #12
special-K
Special Order

There are always recontruction titles, which is the 100% squeeky clean legal way. I mean, it's not illegal to combine vehicle bodies and chassis. It does no one harm. The who VIN/title thing is about theft and nothing is stolen here and there is no proof of that for those with suspicions.

I hear NY state is tough. I had that '71 wrecker that someone put a C/10 cab on and that is how it was titled. I knew a cop pulling me over would have a bigger issue over that than frame number matching. Technically I'd be overweight towing anything at all and it obviously didn't look like a 1/2t. I felt it would be better to ID it as a C/30 and that's what I did. The ID was all in my name already, too. Then, I ended up selling, which I never thought would happen. A guy from NY bought it and it had me worried some. Turns out he was a flipper and had it right back on Craigslist the next week. I was even more worried now. But nothing ever came of it. I think there are always ways to make things work, with the right effort. Again, nothing shady or illegal going on here. Just people keeping old vehicles alive.

Tim