The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2019, 11:42 AM   #1
steve aleve

47-54 front axle / steering question

I have a 1954 Chevy 3100 that has the original frame and driveline under it. A while back, I put a drop axle underneath it and didn't like how it drove so I sold the axle and picked up a (47-53?) front axle to replace it. It is strange, I am not sure if it matters which side of the axle is the front or back but I installed it and it seems like it will turn very far to the left and hardly any to the right. Any idea if the axles are different or if there is a correct way to install them? I also disconnected the steering column from the gear box and so I am wondering if I have something there wrong instead. Any info you all have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
steve aleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 04:37 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: 47-54 front axle / steering question

They always install with the nut on the pinch pin that holds the king pin in place to the back.

Two things to look at right off hand.
In these photos of an axle I have you can see the steering stops under the nuts that hold the pinch pin in. It is real common to either loose them or forget to put them back on. Guilty here as I don't have them in place on my truck.

Second thing is an adjustable drag link that is adjusted one way or the other to work with the dropped axle and hasn't been readjusted for the regular axle.

I'd jack it up set the front axle on stands so the weight of the truck was on the axle and have a helper gently turn the steering wheel lock to lock while you watch the steering linkage from below.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 04:55 PM   #3
mr48chev

Just thinking. With the wheels straight ahead where is the pitman arm pointing?

It should point straight down or real close to it on a stock box or straight out if you have a front mounted power steering box.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:22 PM   #4
steve aleve

Thanks Mr48!!! Those are both great places for me to start to see what is going on!!
Old 07-03-2019, 04:20 PM   #5
steve aleve

So it looks like the pinch pin and steering stops are on the rear side of the axle so that seems right and the pitman arm is pointing straight down with the wheels straight so based on this, I am guessing that the adjustable drag link may be adjusted improperly. Any ideas on what to look for here to set it straight?

thanks again!
Old 07-03-2019, 11:45 PM   #6
nvrdone

if the wheels are pointed straight when the pitman arm is pointed straight down, I don't see a problem with the way the axle is set up.
Id be looking at the steering stops and see if they are both the same angle. id also turn the wheels left & right and check the clearance between the stop and the spindle. you could also swap the stops side to side and see if that changes anything.
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:32 PM   #7
mr48chev

Both sides need stops and they should be the same.

Old 07-06-2019, 01:17 AM   #8
nvrdone

true, the stops on both sides should be the same. but we all know that there are variances in production tolerances. so if one is different from the other, that could account for the problem.
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:55 AM   #9
mr48chev

We can give the a few thousandths and a degree or so difference in one side or the other.

I'm assuming that the truck has pretty close to standard width wheel and tire and pretty close to a standard offset and not deep reverse or super wide wheels and tires.

I had to prove to a guy that his 8-1/2 inch wide deep reverse wheels with The widest bias tires he could put on the front were the issue back in the mid 70's I think he had H 60's on the front an N 50's on the rear because he wanted the wide tire look that was just taking hold but that truck was impossible to drive. I pulled the 7 inch wheels with F 70's off my truck and stuck them on his and we went for a ride and it was a totally different truck. I moved up here not long after that and never did find out if he swapped out tires and wheels or not.