The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2019, 06:44 PM   #1
RThree

Easy 292 horse power bump?

Hello All,

I have a stock 1972 292 I6 with an HEI upgrade. I am interested in some easy ways to bump up the horsepower a little bit. Any suggestions?

I may end up completely rebuilding it at some point but for now im just looking for a little more pep.

Thank for you time!
Attached Images

- 1972 K20 Longhorn, 4wd conversion. "TAWNKAA" Project. 292ci Inline 6 / '93 NV4500 / 32 spline 205 TC / Dana 60s front & back / rear Detroit Locker / 4.10 Gears / 35" BFG MT KM2 / 4" Tuff Country lift. "TAWNKAA"Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=6823933
- 1970 C10 Lonbed, 292ci Inline 6, 3 on the tree, stock.
RThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:47 PM   #2
firedemon

Re: Easy 292 horse power bump?

NOS or turbo
firedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:13 PM   #3
AussieinNC

Stock engine components are not suitable for either NOS or Turbo usage...IMO....

Read this link to an earlier similar question....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=718799

Be wary of long tube headers, they hang down too low to permit a drop in ride height....

Clifford intake manifold, shorty headers and either a large 2 barrel or small 4 barrel carb....

Also have the HEI unit re-curved to suit the better breathing....

Going this route will allow for more performance right away and if you ever fully build an engine, you can re-use these upgrade parts.

Have fun...

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:35 PM   #4
RThree

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieinNC View Post
Stock engine components are not suitable for either NOS or Turbo usage...IMO....

Read this link to an earlier similar question....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=718799

Be wary of long tube headers, they hang down too low to permit a drop in ride height....

Clifford intake manifold, shorty headers and either a large 2 barrel or small 4 barrel carb....

Also have the HEI unit re-curved to suit the better breathing....

Going this route will allow for more performance right away and if you ever fully build an engine, you can re-use these upgrade parts.

Have fun...

Thank you that is really good to know about the lowering as mine has a 2/4 drop on it.

What do you mean by "re-curve the HEI unit" i just popped it in off an older truck we had laying around.

"Going this route will allow for more performance right away and if you ever fully build an engine, you can re-use these upgrade parts."

This is exactly what Im looking for, I want to make improvments to it now i can build off of later. Thank you!
- 1972 K20 Longhorn, 4wd conversion. "TAWNKAA" Project. 292ci Inline 6 / '93 NV4500 / 32 spline 205 TC / Dana 60s front & back / rear Detroit Locker / 4.10 Gears / 35" BFG MT KM2 / 4" Tuff Country lift. "TAWNKAA"Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=6823933
Old 07-23-2019, 08:52 PM   #5
AussieinNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RThree View Post
Thank you that is really good to know about the lowering as mine has a 2/4 drop on it.

What do you mean by "re-curve the HEI unit" i just popped it in off an older truck we had laying around.

"Going this route will allow for more performance right away and if you ever fully build an engine, you can re-use these upgrade parts."

This is exactly what Im looking for, I want to make improvments to it now i can build off of later. Thank you!
Most stock HEI units have an advance curve thats not really suited to performance....a good performance shop can recurve the distributor to suit the improvements. There are also upgraded modules and coil packs available.

Also, check out https://www.12bolt.com/

They are a good source for inline parts....

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:14 AM   #6
'68OrangeSunshine

If you have the budget, an aftermarket alloy intake, headers and a 4 barrel carb will let that 292 L6 run like a big dog.

On rebuild, you can enlarge the bore, use bigger valves, change the cam profile...
Attached Images

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 07-24-2019 at 12:22 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 03:47 PM   #7
crazyjeenyus

One of the biggest (if not the biggest) problems with those I6's is the head. They were never built for performance, and there really aren't any aftermarket options. Each of the 3 intake ports has a large bolt boss in the middle of the port tunnel which greatly impedes the intake flow of the fuel / air mixture. Remove the head and cut that sucker out. You'll have to tap and plug the upper section of the head bolt hole, and use a shorter bolt to secure the head to the block. If you have a few extra bucks install some lumps in those newly opened intake ports. They will improve the flow even more by directing it into the cylinders.

While he head is off, you may want to consider increasing the valve sizes to 1.84" or 1.94" diameter ones. You could also consider a comp 260h cam, and the intake manifold / header / carb suggestions the others have made to take advantage of the increased flow.

Without even getting into the bottom end of the engine you'll have transformed it into a different animal altogether.

Good luck, and remember.....it's only money.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:11 PM   #8
RThree

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjeenyus View Post
One of the biggest (if not the biggest) problems with those I6's is the head. They were never built for performance, and there really aren't any aftermarket options. Each of the 3 intake ports has a large bolt boss in the middle of the port tunnel which greatly impedes the intake flow of the fuel / air mixture. Remove the head and cut that sucker out. You'll have to tap and plug the upper section of the head bolt hole, and use a shorter bolt to secure the head to the block. If you have a few extra bucks install some lumps in those newly opened intake ports. They will improve the flow even more by directing it into the cylinders.

While he head is off, you may want to consider increasing the valve sizes to 1.84" or 1.94" diameter ones. You could also consider a comp 260h cam, and the intake manifold / header / carb suggestions the others have made to take advantage of the increased flow.

Without even getting into the bottom end of the engine you'll have transformed it into a different animal altogether.

Good luck, and remember.....it's only money.

Awesome that is some really good advice! I’ll definitely look into all that.

I keep telling my wife the same thing “It’s only money, Ill make more!” But she’s not so keen on that whole thought process. Although the end all to that conversation is is when Ill her “Ill stop buying truck parts when you stop buying shoes.” Problem is her shoes are usually a lot cheaper....
Old 07-24-2019, 05:36 PM   #9
crazyjeenyus

Quote:
Awesome that is some really good advice! I’ll definitely look into all that.

I keep telling my wife the same thing “It’s only money, Ill make more!” But she’s not so keen on that whole thought process. Although the end all to that conversation is is when Ill her “Ill stop buying truck parts when you stop buying shoes.” Problem is her shoes are usually a lot cheaper....
There are some pretty expensive shoes out there, you’d be surprised, and I’m sure she’ll find them.

I’m smack in the middle of a 292 Father-son build.

We went with true flat top pistons.

We just started on the top end. I cut the bolt bosses out and I’ll be ordering some lumps here pretty soon. Haven’t fully decided on intake and carb, it depends on what is available. I’m thinking we’ll use a Holley 390cfm.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

crazyjeenyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:31 PM   #10
RThree

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjeenyus View Post
There are some pretty expensive shoes out there, you’d be surprised, and I’m sure she’ll find them.

I’m smack in the middle of a 292 Father-son build.

We went with true flat top pistons.

We just started on the top end. I cut the bolt bosses out and I’ll be ordering some lumps here pretty soon. Haven’t fully decided on intake and carb, it depends on what is available. I’m thinking we’ll use a Holley 390cfm.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thank you so much for the photos that really helps inspire me! I have 292s in both my trucks right now but I’m gonna be pulling the 292 out of my 4x4 Longhorn and replacing it with a 402bbc. Then I can take the best parts from both the 292s, cut the bolt bosses out get some lumps, add a Clifford 4 barrel intake with whatever 4 barrel carb I come up with by then and add some true dual headers.

Sounds like that will make some decent power for my 1970 c10 longbed.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:52 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Just do a spring and weight kit. Lighter springs and heavier weights are a simple and excellent way to give the distributor the performance arc it needs at a given RPM, all centrifugal.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote