The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2004, 08:07 PM   #1
Huskerboy2

Advice for Removing Rear Cross Sill

Guys/Girls:

Any advice on removing that rear cross sill on our Blazers. I've got a rust through on the very rear edge of my bed in a couple of places. I assume it's from moisture getting trapped in between that rear cross sill and the bed. It looks like that thing is in there pretty darn good. It's bolted and welded in what appears to be quite a few places. I really need to remove it to address the rust issue I have back there. Any advice?

Thanks all.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:20 PM   #2
Big J
Its lookin' like a Blazer!

Go to your local commercial tool retailer and pick up a couple spot weld drill bits and go nuts. I had to seperate the front part of my tub from the bed to replace the bed. Those drill bits made life alot easier. Thats all I know, not much huh, hehe. Good luck!

My Build
Big J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 09:23 PM   #3
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

The hardest part will be cutting the long welds. You can't get a cutting wheel in there. I have had to use a chisel and anything else that will work in order to cut them. You might have better luck if you chop the rear sill apart a bit first then try and tackle the welds, that way you might be able to get a cutting wheel in there.

One more thing to add, you will have to either find a cross sill from a 72 Jimmy or Blazer or modify one for the cut outs. I modified this one.
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote