The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2004, 04:08 PM   #1
typhoon

Question Starter problems

Hello everyone, I'm back with more questions!

I've just bought a SWB 67 with a mess of wiring, before I brought the truck home, the guy started it using a push button starter, in combination with the ignition switch and a jumper vehicle. I've removed most of the rats nest of wires behind the dash, and re wired the starter circuit to a new ignition switch. I have also installed a new/used front wiring harness from a 71. I have power at my ignition switch, and when the key is in start position I have power all the way along the purple wire to the starter solinoid, but it won't turn over, it won't even click. Am I missing someting?

The new forward wiring harness has two yellow wires and one green wire coming out by the starter motor. Can anyone tell me what these ones are for? I assume I will be using one yellow one for the HEI I have just put in, but the other green and yellow wire seem fishy to me....Help please!
typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 08:46 PM   #2
franko72
Franko72

I dont want to ask a stupid question , but do you have a battery positive cable installed directly from the battery to the starter solenoid as it should be?

1972 C20 cheyenne Super 402 BB/400 turbo LWB A/C Tilt, Cruise Control, Saddle tanks, Tach
My Home Page
Better to burn out than it is to rust
franko72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 11:10 PM   #3
typhoon

it's there, clean contacts and all. I have been playing around with it all day. I tried everything there is to do, finally I thought that even though the solinoid is new, that maybe the headers fried it, so I installed a new solinoid...same thing.. nothing. I have even tried to cross terminals while having a fresh battery connected, not a thing. I tested my old solinoid by holding it with the negative side of jumper cables, and crossed terminals with the positive (while connected to battery at the other end) and nothing. I really am at my wits end now...any Ideas would be greatly appriciated.
typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 05:22 PM   #4
franko72
Franko72

Did you say that you cross connected the solenoid and battery terminals on the starter with a screw driver and nothing happened?Check the negative ground battery cable from your battery to the motor for good ground connections.you could Try removing the starter and bench starting the starter by using jumper cables from your battery.If the bendix doesnt engage when bench testing then its a starter problem. I remember you said the PO used a button starter to turn it over.you need a schematic or some help with your circuit paths.someone on this site will have an answer for you soon. some of the people on this site can completely disect these trucks from memory. I am a trial and error mechanic myself. Could possibly be the braided ground strap from the firewall to the motor not completing the circuit from the ignition switch. good luck

1972 C20 cheyenne Super 402 BB/400 turbo LWB A/C Tilt, Cruise Control, Saddle tanks, Tach
My Home Page
Better to burn out than it is to rust

Last edited by franko72; 06-06-2004 at 05:25 PM.
franko72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 09:09 PM   #5
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

make sure the purple wire is connected to the "S" stud on starter. the "I" stud is for feeding full 12 volts to ignition while cranking (for points not HEI).
if using HEI you need to remove yellow wire from block at firewall completely & replace with non-resistor wire of at least 14 gage. the other yellow wire at starter area should have been for going from starter to coil. green wire is for temp sender.
Todd
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote