The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2019, 07:25 PM   #1
Mondo

drone- very slight vibration - not exhaust

Hi,
I have this weird drone that comes up around 30mph & 60mph (especially when cruising at those speeds). At first I thought it was exhaust/rpm/transmission thing but I've slipped the truck into neutral and the drone is still there as it coasts thru the 30/60mph range.
When I put on the brakes there is no difference. There's no shimmy or anything like that. Just a slight vibration. In fact, if you didn't know the truck before you probably wouldn't notice.
I think it has to do with the brakes/wheels somehow as I've recently had a brake job (new rotors/pads) put on. I have the disc conversion and wonder if they somehow used the wrong year parts (I don't know if they're early '70 or later '71-'72 parts). Or if that's even possible.
any ideas?
Mondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:37 PM   #2
geezer#99

Re: drone- very slight vibration - not exhaust

Driveshaft out of balance or pinion angle incorrect.
Also possibly a bad u-joint.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:40 PM   #3
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Do you feel it in your hands (front of truck) or in the seat of your pants (drive line)? Does the inside rear view mirror vibrate (u-joints, diff)? Did it do it before the upgrade? The fact that it does it at 30 and 60 MPH tells me that it is a harmonic vibration (u-joints, diff). Not much help there, at the moment.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:19 PM   #4
HO455
Post Whore

I too had noise and vibration issues with my truck. Turned out that changing my carrier bearing and aligning my drive shaft took care of some of it. Then a look inside the differential revealed the other half of the problem. The carrier was failing as well as the spider gears.
I recommend checking with the carrier bearing and the drive shaft wear points to start. Then check the angles on the U-joints especially if the truck has been lowered or lifted.
Hopefully you won't have to go through the whole rear end as I did. The WMB thread below has more information on what I did starting on page 13 post 312 and skipping around for several pages.
Good Luck
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:45 AM   #5
67C10Step

Definitely sounds like drive line but odd that you just noticed it after a brake job. Could be you were not noticing it until the brake job and (if you are like me) you get hyper sensitive for a while until you feel everything is ok.

Had s similar issue on my son’s Toyota Tacoma that has a carrier bearing as well. Toyota replaces the u joints Uber a recall but the slight vibration as still there. I got a digital angle gage and measured everything from the transmission back to the differential. Ended up shilling the carrier bearing down about 3/16” and it took care of 90% or more of the issue.
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 01:48 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
One easy thing to check would be the harmonic balancer on the front of the crankshaft. I have seen the rubber dampening strip pop out on the front or back and cause the balancer to wobble slightly.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 12:17 AM   #7
Mondo

Thanks guys.... drive-shaft/differential most likely seeing how the rear-end is stock 67 (narrow rear end) and I did do some work on the driveline for the 5.3 conversion several years ago.
Mondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:57 AM   #8
randy500
Account Suspended

Rear axle shaft bearings
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote