The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2019, 07:33 PM   #1
67bullet

CPP turn signal switch

Hello guys,By not knowing any better I installed a cpp steering column,Do any of you know if an AC-DELCO turn signal switch for a tilt wheel,will fit correctly,if not which one will.Thanks ahead,Jeff
67bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:42 PM   #2
67bullet

Re: CPP turn signal switch

does anyone have a guess
Old 08-06-2019, 08:51 PM   #3
70shortfleet

If your cpp column switch is held in place by 3 screws then my guess would be yes. This is just a guess, I don`t know for sure
70shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:47 AM   #4
tim_mc

The flasher button broke on my CPP column as I was putting it together (stuck and won't pull out). I got a Delco-Remy 1893592 off eBay, but have not installed it yet to confirm that it will work. I believe it will since the CPP column is based on the GM design and has 3 mounting screws. The OEM switch is MUCH more solid than the CPP switch. It has the gray wire for the indicator bulb integrated into the 4-1/4" connector, but that's an easy fix. I would have needed to cut the connector off anyway since the American Autowire cab harness I'm using has a 3-7/8" connector for '69-74 that won't mate with the 4-1/4" from '75 and later.

I decided to get a rebuilt Chevy tilt from Les/70shortfleet instead and will switch columns out this weekend. I plan to replace the turn signal switch on the CPP column if time permits (truck is not at my house).

Edit: I believe the correct ACDelco p/n for a TILT column is p/n D6211, which cross-references to Delco-Remy 1893582. ACDelco D6216 may be for non-tilt columns.

~Tim
Attached Images

Last edited by tim_mc; 08-07-2019 at 09:07 AM.
tim_mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:08 AM   #5
67bullet

Thumbs up Re: CPP turn signal switch

Ok guys thanks a lot,This is what I needed.Thanks Jeff
Old 08-10-2019, 08:29 AM   #6
tim_mc

No problem Jeff. I installed the Delco switch on the CPP column last night...fit perfectly. I used a sharp pick to release the wires from the 4-1/4" connector so I could feed the wires through the housing. So now I have a spare CPP column. At least it has been "upgraded" with an OEM turn signal switch.

~Tim
Old 08-10-2019, 08:50 AM   #7
67bullet

Thanks Tim,I feel better now knowing it will work,Thanks a million,Jeff
Old 08-10-2019, 09:03 AM   #8
67bullet

Tim,do you know the difference between a tilt switch and a standard column,Reason I ask I have the one that came out of my old column and it looks brand new.Thanks Jeff
Old 08-10-2019, 12:30 PM   #9
tim_mc

Jeff, I'm not sure about the differences between the straight and tilt turn signal switches. Both RockAuto and O'Reilly's indicate ACDelco D6211 for '72 C10 with tilt wheel and manual trans (although I'm not sure why manual transmission would have the lighted shift indicator).

FYI, while reinstalling the CPP switch cover, I found out that the shift indicator lamp on the new turn signal switch didn't line up with the hole in the cover. The lamp socket on the new Delco switch is short and straight, so I replaced it with the CPP indicator lamp socket, which is longer and tilts the bulb at an angle where it will line up properly with the switch cover. It's held in with a small phillips screw. You'll want to make sure that the tab extending from the bulb socket is making good contact with the bare metal of the housing as shown in the yellow circle below. I also tested the lamp with a 9v battery by connecting the lamp lead to (+) and grounding (-) to the column.
Attached Images

Last edited by tim_mc; 08-10-2019 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:40 PM   #10
RustyPile

Forgive me guys for the doubts I have about the information presented here.. 67bullet, if I were you, I'd contact CPP for the correct answer to your question...
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 01:00 PM   #11
tim_mc

Probably not a bad idea to contact CPP. I'm curious if they will confirm that an OEM or other aftermarket switch will work in their column. Based on my tinkering today, I can confirm that my Delco-Remy switch works in the CPP column as long as the CPP indicator lamp socket is reused with the Delco switch. The cancelling cam works as it should. The cover fits and the tilt function also works as it should. But, as with any hacks, your mileage may vary.
Old 08-10-2019, 02:04 PM   #12
tim_mc

I forgot I had emailed CPP about my broken turn signal switch back on 7/30 asking this very question (getting old I guess):

I have a CPP tilt steering column, p/n TC-6772-SB that I am finally installing, however it has a stuck flasher switch. Are the turn signal switches available separately, and can I use an original GM turn signal switch from another Chevy tilt column I have?

Coincidently (?), I just got an email from CPP a few minutes ago that says the switch may be under warranty since I bought it directly from CPP. They did not confirm if another vendor's switch will work. Anyway, it was a fun little project installing the Delco switch in the CPP column.

Jeff, you may want to see if CPP will replace the broken switch.

~Tim
Old 08-10-2019, 02:22 PM   #13
67bullet

Tim my column is about a year old and I purchased it through summit racing,so I do not know if they or summit would make it good,I know summit would,They have the best customer service in the world,will not hurt to check,Tim thanks for all the info,Thanks Jeff