The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-06-2004, 04:28 PM   #1
BaggedC10
Under construction!

Question What to do w/ my frame?

My original plan was to use rust encapsulator and paint the frame Chassis Black (Eastwood products). I've also thought about having it sand blasted and PC'ed. After watching Stacey (Trucks TV) have the underside of "Crazy Horse" lined w/ Line-X and explaining the many different applications it can be used on.....I thought, why not have my frame done?! Does anyone see any possible problems in doing this? So far, I haven't thought of a downside at all. Let me know what you guys' think. Thanks.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:16 PM   #2
Kendhul

Ive been wanting to do this to my scout II for a while now and i dont see any problems with doing it. The only thing i'd do is make sure you tape off all the body mounts and various other mounting surfaces because once line-x is on its hard to get off.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:21 PM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

One down side of powder coating or Line-X is if you want to weld to the frame later. You have to clean every bit of the coating off to weld, and you can't touch it up very well. Another issue is if the texture isn't pretty smooth it will be harder to clean if you plan to show it....
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 08:24 PM   #4
bigblock73
yeller

I would paint or powder coat it. Like Ken said, the texture can make it look dirty and make it a pita to keep clean.

IMO, nothing beats a clean smooth frame.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 09:09 PM   #5
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

paint it, with cheap paint at that. being bagged, you're going to scrape it at some point. cheap paint is easier to touch up when you do so.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 03:09 AM   #6
BaggedC10
Under construction!

Only the LCA's hit the pavement.....the frame doesn't and will not. All frame work is done and I can't think of anymore welding to do. Also, from what I saw, they can make the material smooth or textured. It's been applied to the bottom of boats, which of course, have to be smooth.

The truck won't be driven much, the underside will be maintained, and if I were to paint it.....it would have to be redone in a few years. If I Line-X it, it will be done for good.

Sorry, just thinking out loud to you guys.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:28 AM   #7
Ric83

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaggedC10
Only the LCA's hit the pavement.....the frame doesn't and will not. All frame work is done and I can't think of anymore welding to do. Also, from what I saw, they can make the material smooth or textured. It's been applied to the bottom of boats, which of course, have to be smooth.

The truck won't be driven much, the underside will be maintained, and if I were to paint it.....it would have to be redone in a few years. If I Line-X it, it will be done for good.

Sorry, just thinking out loud to you guys.
Must have heard me thinking out loud too 'cause those were my thoughts exactly.
Ric83 is offline   Reply With Quote