The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-26-2019, 12:56 PM   #1
elorenzof

Vintage Air install

Good morning.

On the 72 K10 im building i am at the point of installing the Vintage Air system i just purchased. I have a few questions im hoping someone can clear something up for me.

1. - Can i keep the same setup for the vintage air in regards to the fan clutch (new one) and the radiator shroud or do i have to purchase an electric fan kit?

2. if i need to purchase a new radiator and electric fan, what brand(s) did you use? (Radiator brand, and electric fan brand) i see some have used flex a lite fans.

some of this stuff can get pretty pricey and im not opposed to that but dont want to waste $$ either.

Lorenzo
elorenzof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 01:26 PM   #2
Steve72

Re: Vintage Air install

No need to replace anything. The system will work just fine without electric fans.
Steve72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 04:26 PM   #3
Bearhawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve72 View Post
No need to replace anything. The system will work just fine without electric fans.
Same here. I installed mine last year and did not touch the cooling system. no issues at all. The only thing I would recommend is to install some sort of "idle kicker" to bump up the revs when the compressor engages. Mine keeps blowing cold at idle even without the kicker.
Bearhawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:19 PM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Vintage Air install

If the truck runs cool now I wouldn't worry about it. If it can sit in hot traffic and stay cool you should be fine. If it doesn't then you may need the extra cooling fan.
There are 2 things to remember about cooling.
#1 is the water temp needs to stay cool.
#2 the ac freon pressures have to stay low so the tempature does to!
Most clutch fans will do the job of both but if you have a thick 4 core radiator and a massive condenser then the clutch fan may not do the job. It has to pull enough air through them to keep them both cool to work properly.
The more you seal off around the radiator support and force the air through the radiator and condenser the better the cooling.
Another suggestion make sure the hot water valve is in place and working. It will drop the cab tempature by 5-10 degrees.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:00 PM   #5
lutronjim

Error I made. The solenoid valve that controls the heat is directional. I called VA because my heat would sometimes work for a short while and then just stop - fan runs but no heat. Va said I had valve in backwards - changed and no more problems.
lutronjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 01:46 PM   #6
elorenzof

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR ADVISE. i just see such exravagant cooling setups and i thought i would have to do so as well. So i dont have to worry about the binary / trinary switch hook up? I assumed that was for the electric fan set up only?
elorenzof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 05:52 PM   #7
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Vintage Air install

Quote:
Originally Posted by elorenzof View Post
THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR ADVISE. i just see such exravagant cooling setups and i thought i would have to do so as well. So i dont have to worry about the binary / trinary switch hook up? I assumed that was for the electric fan set up only?
That switch is a combo switch to turn the electric fan are fans on if needed to keep the pressure down inside the AC system. It also shuts the compressor off if it gets to high.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote