The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2019, 10:05 PM   #1
Old_iron

How to hook this all up?

How do I hook up my valve cover PCV, brake booster, and the vacuum advance on my hei distributor?
Am I missing a coupler/nipple on the brake booster?
I dont know what to plug into the ports on the carb...
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2019, 01:01 AM   #2
AJC

Re: How to hook this all up?

Are those the only ports on the carburetor? Plus can you get the model number off the carb. It should be on the air horn.

Name:  20191005_182257A.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  66.2 KB
  • Brake booster "C" will go to manifold vacuum "A".
  • Vacuum advance on the distributor can be hooked to ported vacuum "F" or manifold vacuum. The blue arrow points to where a manifold vacuum port is normally, other wise use "A". Also everyone has an opinion on ported or manifold, so I let you decide which to use.
  • The red arrows is normally where a pcv port is in the base. So if there is not one on the back of the carb run it to manifold vacuum "A".
  • "D" and "E" are part of the choke system. They go to a tube in your intake manifold. "E" is the filtered air to the choke. "D" is the heated air returning from the manifold to activate the choke. Two metal tubes go from "D" and "E" to where the green circle is. If you are missing the tubes they can be remade with some copper tubing. If you are not going to hook it up put a hose between "D" and "E".
    Name:  20191005_182204a.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  85.8 KB

Edit: I was looking closer at your intake manifold and what I circle is the mounting spot for a divorced choke. So to have a working choke you can convert to an electric choke or rig something up. I have rigged one by wrapping copper tubing around the exhaust manifold. The air in the tube just needs to be heated. It did not look pretty, but was cheap and worked well enough. I made it with stuff in my garage, when I had more time then money.

Last edited by AJC; 10-06-2019 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Identify part wrong
AJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 01:35 AM   #3
kwmech

First thing I would do is swap the valve covers so the oil fill is in front. Second I'd remove the brake booster fitting from the valve cover and put it where it belongs
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:04 AM   #4
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
First thing I would do is swap the valve covers so the oil fill is in front. Second I'd remove the brake booster fitting from the valve cover and put it where it belongs
I've never understood why anyone (sometimes including the facory) would put an oil fill anywhere but the most accessible place. Unless you don't plan to drive the vehicle, you're going to need access to that thing at regular intervals.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:07 AM   #5
68 P.O.S.

AJC is right on! Your passenger side valve cover has no provisions for a breather valve. So even if you hook up the PCV on the drivers side, it won't work right because there's no cross air flow. You need a breather on one side and PCV on the other. A new valve cover is in order, or make a hole. Also, as kwmech mentioned, the brake booster check valve is what you're missing and it's the white connector in your PCV hole now. Take it out of the PCV hole and place it back in the booster "C" where it belongs.

For vac port "A", you'll need to install a tee to hook up a couple things there. If you have an auto trans, the modulator connects there as well.

For the vac advance, GM engineers found manifold vacuum is best, but you have to setup the distributor for it. It's not a simple hose swap. Read the following article, it goes over timing and vac advance.
http://www.camaros.org/pdf/timing101.pdf

Last edited by 68 P.O.S.; 10-06-2019 at 10:16 AM.
68 P.O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote