The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-13-2019, 10:55 AM   #1
Linz

Bed Toolbox/tote/storage

Hi Guys

I’m at the stage where I need to start thinking about getting some secure storage for the back of my pickup. I did a search and didn’t find to many recent threads specific to 67-72 trucks but if there are I apologize. I have a 72 longbed and would like to find a toolbox to sit flush or just below the bedside so I can put a tonneau cover over the top. I’ve been doing quite a lot of research online and there seems to be quite a few options. I want a decent one so a couple of questions are tool boxes tool boxes? As far as being secure and watertight etc in regards to the generic brands that you get at most ag stores etc. Aluminum or steel? And had anyone gone to the trouble of powder coating a box to match the color of their truck? Or is that an expensive road. An lastly how do most people mount these up the front of their box? Bolts through the deck I’m guessing?

Thanks
Linz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:07 PM   #2
saxart

Re: Bed Toolbox/tote/storage

I've been interested in the same thing. I thought about buying one of these, but not sure that it's going to be good for the steel bed floor in my truck:

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/leg...?Ntt=job%20box

Any other options??
Old 10-14-2019, 12:55 AM   #3
Linz

I’m not close to my truck but would anyone happen to have these 2 measurements or tell me where I could find them please? 72 long bed the distance from the inside edge of each bedside across and the distance from the head board to the wheel arch it would shed some more light on what I’m searching for. And perhaps the depth although I seem to remember reading somewhere that was 19 1/4 inches?
Attached Images

Linz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:07 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

I always painted my steel tool boxes of various design to match the truck. Tool boxes have seals that keep water out. Any tool box should keep tools dry or something needs to be fixed. They lock and like all locks only good as where you leave the truck. In time and with noise not an issue they can be gotten into. I now have an aluminum diamond plate box that I think you could pry the corners back on. It flips forward to open (saddle box) with two latches that lock. They'd really have to mangle the lid to get in there but mostly I never leave my stuff in a very risky place. The boxes made for smaller trucks should fit inside and on the floor.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote