The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-06-2004, 10:54 PM   #1
Tynee
I miss this truck.

Can you suggest anything? Timing issue

I have a guess on what my problem is (beyond the obvious), but I'd like the input of the wise and knowledgable sages of this board.

My weekend was spent replacing the intake manifold and carburator on my 307. I went from stock to a stock 350 manifold with a new Edelbrock 1406. I forgot to make any kind of marks on my ditributor when removing it, so when I reinstalled it, I didn't know which direction to install. When I got it put back together, I tried to start it and all I got was the biggest backfire I've ever heard from this truck. At this point I figured I had my distributor in 180 degrees off. I pulled it and reinstalled. Long story short, when I finally got the truck to start it was only with the distributor advanced as far as it would go. The problem is, with the distrbutor turned all the way counter-clockwise, I'm still only getting to 8 degrees AFTER T.D.C. I'm Idling at 550 RPM, and acceleration is smooth but weak.

Sorry for the length of the post, hopefully somebody will ubderstand the question I'm asking. Thanks in advance for any help.

'08 Crew Cab Z-71 short bed. Really like this truck A LOT.
Tynee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 12:04 AM   #2
Russell
Professional Grade

Pull the dizzy out and move it over one notch in the direction you need to have it at, you're running it wayyy too retarded, and won't have any power at all this way...

So yeah, just lift the dizzy a little bit, then slide the rotor over one notch so it falls all the way back down with the rotor once notch over, then put the cap back on aiming the rotor tip at the first spark plug tower, then fire it up and fine tune it from there
Old 06-07-2004, 08:43 AM   #3
72gord
Never enough time!!

When you move it one tooth on the distributor gear you will have to bump the starter or turn the motor a little by hand to get the dist. to engage down onto the oil pump drive. Just like Russel said though...one tooth off.
72gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 07:14 PM   #4
Tynee
I miss this truck.

Maybe I'm not understanding something, but if I move the dizzy one tooth how do I get the slot on the bottom of the dizzy shaft to seat back onto the oil pump?

Old 06-07-2004, 07:36 PM   #5
neonlarry

Use a long screwdriver to orient the oil pump shaft so it will seat.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 11:12 PM   #6
Tynee
I miss this truck.

Thanks for the input fellas. It's Gonna be Thursday or Friday before I get back to the truck. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 06-11-2004, 08:14 AM   #7
Tynee
I miss this truck.

Thanks for the input guys. Moved the dizzy one tooth last night and then couldn't retard it far enough to get it in time. Wound up moving all my plug wires one hole around the cap. After that, I was able to fine tune it exactly where it needed to be.