The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-14-2019, 07:32 PM   #1
HeavyHauler

Can a Disc\Drum master cylinder be used with 4 wheel disc setup?

I will be running a 4 wheel disc set up on my 1968 Chevy C10. I already have a brand new in the box disc\drum master cylinder sitting on the shelf.

Can I use that with a 4 wheel disc setup if I use a adjustable proportioning valve?
HeavyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:54 PM   #2
AussieinNC

Re: Can a Disc\Drum master cylinder be used with 4 wheel disc setup?

Most disc /drum master cylinders have built in line valves that maintain a small amount of fluid pressure in the rear drum circuit to keep the wheel cylinder rubber cups out against the sealing surface of the wheel cylinder.

To check, use a small probe like a tooth pick to gently push into the outlet port (rear port) on the master cylinder. If you feel a small rubber valve in there that compresses slightly when pushed on, the master has a line valve installed....

You can remove the valve by screwing in a sheet metal screw into the outlet port fitting and using a small slide hammer to remove the port...the valve and spring will fall out,,,,lightly tap the port fitting back on and remove the screw....

I would prefer to use a specific disc/disc master cylinder and an adjustable proportioning valve.

Another thing to consider is the correct piston rod depth in the master cylinder to match the piston rod in the booster.....

Good luck

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 08:28 PM   #3
HeavyHauler

Re: Can a Disc\Drum master cylinder be used with 4 wheel disc setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieinNC View Post
Most disc /drum master cylinders have built in line valves that maintain a small amount of fluid pressure in the rear drum circuit to keep the wheel cylinder rubber cups out against the sealing surface of the wheel cylinder.

To check, use a small probe like a tooth pick to gently push into the outlet port (rear port) on the master cylinder. If you feel a small rubber valve in there that compresses slightly when pushed on, the master has a line valve installed....

You can remove the valve by screwing in a sheet metal screw into the outlet port fitting and using a small slide hammer to remove the port...the valve and spring will fall out,,,,lightly tap the port fitting back on and remove the screw....

I would prefer to use a specific disc/disc master cylinder and an adjustable proportioning valve.

Another thing to consider is the correct piston rod depth in the master cylinder to match the piston rod in the booster.....

Good luck

Sounds like I will be getting a new disc\disc master cylinder and prop valve. Thanks for the info!
HeavyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote