The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2002, 09:01 PM   #1
adkphoto

Question Edelbrock rods & jets

Last year I replced my worn out Q jet with an Edelbrock 1406 and Performer manifold. It made a world of difference right out of the box. But... this year I want to tune it so my baby runs like it should.

Engine is a stock 350 except for the intake manifold, carb, and Accel HEI distributor. Truck is 2wd, TH400 tranny, 373 gears (if I remember right).

Main symptoms: Engine doesn't make as much power as it should. Severely bogs if you stomp on it from mid-throttle.

Right now I'm running the stock Edelbrock rods, springs, and jets on the 1406. Any recommended combos for a stock 350?

Does the stock Edelbrock set-up run rich or lean?

Thanks!

David
Vroom, Vroom....
=====================
David Colbert dcolbert@twcny.rr.com

Work hard, play harder!
adkphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 11:16 PM   #2
kaycee

Lightbulb

You should of got abook in your box that tells how to tune to your specs. I ended up going and buying the calibration kit for another $35.You get 4 types of step-up spring's,jets,metering rods.I think you need to take off the top of carb and see if it is clean it is a real simple carb. to work on.
63 IMPALA 327
kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 11:20 PM   #3
bigjimzlll

the 1406 is jetted leaner than the 1405....its more milage minded...go to www.edelbrock.com and look up how to tune. Its a very good site.. I bought the tune and jet kit...almost fifty bucks..but it makes it real easy to tune to any set up you have. It could be as easy as changing springs and(or) rods, thats all i had to do.
Jim

click the clicky to join the site....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

67 lwb..first hotrod in 25 years..540 best ET is 9.45 @ 141.44
Anderson,CA
bigjimzlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 10:49 AM   #4
68 with 350 TPI

dont forget to get a fuel pressure regulator!!!!

These carbs dont like more than about 4-7 psi max fuel pressure.
Most seem to run best at 5... because on some of them any more than that will shoot the needle right out of the seat and casue it to load up and all sorts of bad stuff.
Old 06-05-2002, 12:48 PM   #5
Desert Rat

I dont want to sound like a prick but are you sure the carb is the problem?Alot of people start there but in reality it should be the last thing you touch.Timing and everything cool?a 1406 is more on the economy side as is all their electric choke models,I have a 1406 on a stock 402 and it runs sweet,i wouldnt fatten it up much,a stock 350 dont need much,i have a 750 on a 396 way too much,shoulda bought elec choke models,id only bump 1 size at a time,those carbs are simple though,no spilt gas.
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 12:56 PM   #6
Desert Rat

Example i had a buddy one time with a Holley on his car,and his 327,running sluggish,he was like that fking carb,i said dude you got a timing light,he said you cant go by that,after the timing chain is wore,i said not exact but close.I dont use a timing light on mine anymore,i have a nice side street to test timing,i fool with it until it takes off the hardest no pinging etc.but if new at it or dont want to open hood 30 times check your ignition source first.before you start with carb,making it fater,youll bog worse,more fuel,maybe fouled plugs.I love it when im at a mini market,kid has a hood open on his 77 Camaro with a Tarantula intake,and 3310 series Holley,and headers.Yip got da biggisy cam dey had,like cool dude you wanna race my primered POS,these kids are everywhere here,hot rod 74 up Novas,Camaros i love it when they cut a hole in the hood for the antique blower style scoop,you use a torch to cut that hole??UH huh,i got a torch,whys that bug catcher wired open??dont that suck crap in the carb?Uh huh,but the bugs die fast,Got to be careful theres a 11 second stock looking Ford Lightning here
Old 06-05-2002, 12:59 PM   #7
Desert Rat

Also a 79ish Impala/Caprice with a 500 plus cubic inch Big Block,has rallys-so what,cage you cant see through tinted windows,but you see the red shift light hit when hes a 1/8 mile infront.I wanna see that up close,thats what my 67 will end up being i hope!If i ever get it rolling,dreams are healthy!!