The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2020, 03:36 PM   #1
dieselfuel007

k10 big block tall deck swap

i'm in the middle of a 427 tall deck swap i've did a lot of reading on here so far i've moved to driveline forward 2 inched its ath350 np203 combo . i've removed the factory engine crossmember i've got a list of questions 1what to do with the engine accessories alternator power steering pump do i keep them both on the the drivers side or take the alternator to right side and what mounts to use i currently don't have anything also long or short water pump 2 what engine mount to use diy4 or 73 87 factory crossmember and what oil pan to use 3 headers the engine come with a set that i was told fit a 73-87 4x4 i set the engine in and the right one looked like it might work with minor trimming of the frame but the right looked to be a long way off and any other advice would be great
dieselfuel007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:46 PM   #2
70'

Re: k10 big block tall deck swap

I just big blocked my 1970 4X4 with a 454 bolted up to the original SM465 Trans. I used the DIY4x4 tubular crossmember. I ran a Milodon oil pan, and Sanderson BB8 Ceramic coated headers all of which fit great. You will most likely need to go with a mini brake booster with the tall deck too. (If you go with the crossmember and the headers I listed you will need the motor mounts on the block to set the motor up at least 5/8 high and I would probably go 3/4"-1". If you tell Dirk when you order, he will know what you mean. I slid the motor mounts 3" forward and still had to clearance my firewall to get the cab back on which created all kinds of issues with the accelerator pedal, and had to convert to a Hydraulic clutch as there was no room for the mechanical clutch linkage to fit. This also shifted the trans and t=T-case which meant the front driveshaft had to be shortened, and the rear lengthened. Also had to drill new holes to move the transfer case crossmember the same 3" which for me was easy because I didn't have the body on the frame at the time. Now that my build is almost done I am very happy to have a fresh, healthy big block in the truck but I probably wouldn't do it again based on all the modifications it required. That being said, this was a pretty high end project and I'm probably pickier than most guys to start with so I probably caused myself a lot of grief that most guys would not even be bothered with like the fire wall cleaanceing, I'm simply not the guy that will just beat the firewall back with a sledge hammer like a lot of guys have done. I have heard big block horror stories like mine, and other guys that say a big block just fell into place like it was always there and there does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Once you start, your committed to finish is. My best advise is if you have not started, don't. lol. If you have started, do it right and be happy when your done.
Attached Images

70' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 07:50 PM   #3
dieselfuel007

well i moved mine two inches and it cleared the fire wall but not by alot was your oil pan was it the chevelle one what did you do about your powersteering pump i don't see a remote reservoir did you have to do any trimming for your headers
Old 01-05-2020, 10:45 PM   #4
70'

No trimming on the headers. I do have a remote power steering reservoir, you just cannot see it in the pictures. The Milodon oil pan is Part #30710-MIL. They run $150 on Summit. With the tubular crossmember there is all kinds of room between the crossmember and the pan so I would think there are a lot of options including the stock pan with that mount.
70' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:47 PM   #5
dieselfuel007

i've read that those headers don't clear the th350 well but they sound like the best opinion so far guess i'll see when it gets back from the body shop they look like a very quality part anyway