The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2020, 10:41 PM   #1
dave`12

Fuel regulator issue

When I put my 350 engine (carb, holly street demon 625cfm) in my truck, I put a Mr. Gasket 12s micro fuel pump. The thing quit after less than 5k miles.

I just replaced it with an edelbrock universal micro pump.

https://www.edelbrock.com/universal-...e85-17301.html

Well, looking at the instructions (which I don't think I did last time) I see they say it needs a regulator. Of course they don't say which one I should get, and if it's for every application..

Anyone use this pump? Could this be why my last failed? I've got it on and it works, but now I'm worried.

I googled it and got some non-specific advice, and some people arguing about what type of regulator you need.

If I need one, can someone recommend one?

As always, you guys are the best; thanks in advance.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:45 AM   #2
Rickysnickers

Re: Fuel regulator issue

When I was running a carb, I had one of these, https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-12-803/overview/ and had no issues with it.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:16 PM   #3
RustyPile

One of the "quirks" of Edelbrock carbs is their sensitivity to fuel pressure.. Go with a good name brand fuel pump and regulator..

The PO of my truck decided the slightly warmed over 454 Needed a hairy assed fuel delivery system.. He installed half inch braided fuel line all the way to the carburetor, a Holly electric fuel pump that screams like a 747 spooling up all four engines, a spin on fuel filter the size of an oil filter and the pressure regulator mentioned in Rickysnickers' post.. I have the fuel pressure set to 5.5 lbs.. The Holly 3310-3 Doesn't need all that paraphernalia.. When I'm able to get back to work on the truck all that crap will get trashed and a stock mechanical pump, 3/8ths stock type fuel line along with a fuel return line will go in place..

For carbureted engines, electric fuel pumps are way over rated.. Unless your block doesn't have provisions for a mechanical pump, I suggest you go the mechanical pump route.. Lots cheaper and more reliable..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:11 PM   #4
firedemon

if your going electric you should use a return style regulator . the non return style tend to make the pump work harder and run hotter heat shortens the life of the pump . heat also can vapor lock . with the fuel constantly circulating it tends to keep the pump much cooler and it will be more reliable and last longer . the only problem is finding a sending unit with a return line . and dont forget pumps generally push better than they pull
firedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 02:11 AM   #5
dave`12

I'm a little confused. The fuel pump has a max psi of only 7. Do I really need a regulator? The primary benefit, as I see it, is that a regulator allows the pump to shut off so it is not constantly running, so it last longer and stays cooler?

If so, a regulator would need to be hooked up to power?

If a regulator like the one above was installed, I don't see the benefit, unless maybe a return line to the tank (not sure how I would hook that up) was keeping it from pumping when the line is already full?

Not sure what would be too much psi for my Holly, but I doubt 7psi would be too much?

Sorry my lack of knowledge here...
Old 01-09-2020, 03:16 AM   #6
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave`12 View Post
I'm a little confused. The fuel pump has a max psi of only 7. Do I really need a regulator? The primary benefit, as I see it, is that a regulator allows the pump to shut off so it is not constantly running, so it last longer and stays cooler?

If so, a regulator would need to be hooked up to power?

If a regulator like the one above was installed, I don't see the benefit, unless maybe a return line to the tank (not sure how I would hook that up) was keeping it from pumping when the line is already full?

Not sure what would be too much psi for my Holly, but I doubt 7psi would be too much?

Sorry my lack of knowledge here...
A pressure regulator doesn't turn the pump off and on to regulate the pressure. The pump runs continuously. Simply put, a regulator allows fuel to "trickle through" at a rate just enough to maintain the preset pressure against the carb needle/seat..

Back in my racing days, I ran 10 lb. fuel pressure into large CFM Hollys. I ran a pressure adjustable Stewart-Warner "thumper" pump..

That particular regulator you're looking at is not designed to allow return flow.

You haven't said --- does your engine block have the provision for a mechanical pump???? If so, why are you insistent on running an electric pump and all the hardware needed to make it work properly?? IMHO, the disadvantages far outweigh the advantages..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:52 PM   #7
dave`12

The reason I went electric is that I found one that mounts exactly like the last, so the change over was so easy. I have a mechanical that does not work on the block. It has allen wrench screws and they are stripped by PO. I guess if I really set my mind to it, I could get it off, but the electric was the easy solution.

If this one gives out, I guess I will just have to get dirty.

Question remains on this pump, do you guys think it is ok the way I have it, or is the lack of a regulator setting me up for another early failure?

thanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
A pressure regulator doesn't turn the pump off and on to regulate the pressure. The pump runs continuously. Simply put, a regulator allows fuel to "trickle through" at a rate just enough to maintain the preset pressure against the carb needle/seat..

Back in my racing days, I ran 10 lb. fuel pressure into large CFM Hollys. I ran a pressure adjustable Stewart-Warner "thumper" pump..

That particular regulator you're looking at is not designed to allow return flow.

You haven't said --- does your engine block have the provision for a mechanical pump???? If so, why are you insistent on running an electric pump and all the hardware needed to make it work properly?? IMHO, the disadvantages far outweigh the advantages..
Old 01-10-2020, 10:40 AM   #8
maverickmk

The regulator shouldn't have an effect on the pump, unless the pump is a high volume high pressure pump and you're driving the pressure down with a regulator. Then it would overheat and cause premature failure. The regulator does exactly that, regulates the pressure to the carburetor and makes it a steady flow at a constant rate.

Not to brag, but I don't need alcohol to make really bad decisions.

1969 GMC Short Step Side
maverickmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:18 PM   #9
dave`12

Thanx maverickmk.

I guess I will let this one ride, and if it fails, go mechanical.