The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-10-2020, 02:56 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

OEM or Aftermarket Windshield rubber?

I have an NOS windshield rubber (no groove) that seems to be very nice. Not dry or cracked, feels new.

I also have a Precision window rubber.

I really don't care about originality here so I was thinking just go with the Precision rubber and pass the NOS one on to someone that is doing a resto.

Or would I avoid install problems by using the NOS? I feel like I have heard
good things about Precision.

Looking for opinions from folks that have gone through this.
Old 01-10-2020, 03:37 PM   #2
toolboxchev

Re: OEM or Aftermarket Windshield rubber?

First off, I have used a Precision Gasket with trim and have been satisfied. GM had a problem with sealing these as the cabs were not very uniform as they are today.

1. Aftermarket or NOS may not matter unless you have a perfect NOS windshield. The old glass was thicker. This causes another problem.

2. Aftermarket will fit the older glass better as it is made to NOS spec.

3. Gaskets that are marketed by Steele are indeed manufactured by Precision, I verified this with Steele. Specific on this gasket. That speaks large amounts to Precisions' commitment to quality.

4. Advise is through this website that you will be using some type of sealant. Precision recommends 3M Window Weld. CR Lawrence markets the same material. I also used their non curing flow-able butyl rubber in the gasket to metal part of the seal, sealing it with the curing sealing or 3M window weld if you will.

5. The Glass to Gasket are will need the 3M Window Weld or comparable CR Lawrence product. If you do a search on here you will find the old GM Tech bulletin describing this, not to mention the upper and lower corners of the Windshield.

6. There are special tools to apply these materials including chaulking guns, with special tip applicators, and the standard rope, hook tool, and plastic windshield tool.

7. Getting a modern glass company to do this may be problematic unless they have all this info and the tech bulletins on this site. Refer to this thread for most of the info from folks here and Precision:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...install&page=6

There are some other factors with making sure the Glass will fit the existing cab, some glass installs may require grinding the glass for a proper fit. Jeff Gau over at Precision is an absolute pleasure to work with and fully backs his product. The special applicator tips is what I did have on hand and would have made this much easier the the more inexpensive chalking style gun applicators.

There also will be rust under there depending on the age of the truck and or if it has been repainted in the past. Also the seam sealer in the pinch welds of the cab opening is important. I used SPI Epoxy and also am very pleased with the company owner, Barry, and his product knowledge, support, and instruction. One very sharp guy in his industry.

The gaskets go in pretty easy, its the prep, knowledge, tools and support that will get you there.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:55 PM   #3
CG
BlahBlahBlah

toolboxchev, that has to be one of the best well thought out answers I've ever had here on the board.

Windshield is for my panel which has been totally body worked, seam sealed, and painted. Ill definitely check all of your points out … Thanks!
Old 01-11-2020, 08:16 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

I sold my N.O.S. windshield and door rubber and bought Precision seals. I see no complaints about the Precision fit and quality, only good reviews. The only negative I see is with the new glass not sealing with 'any' seals because it isn't made to the proper thickness. The glass is wrong.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote