The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2004, 03:59 AM   #1
bluex

New guys truck!

I guess I can show you guys my progress on the '78. I used to be a LWB heavy half model fleetside. I got a little happy with the sawzall and welder and turned it into a SWB. After spending 3 months hunting a decent fleetside bed I settled on the stepside b/c it was the best one I found for what I wanted to pay. The 700R4 is sitting in the floor and the 350 is at the machine shop getting bored to .060. Hope to have it up and running sometime in July. Anyway on to the pics:

What I started with:

How she was in between. This is with the rear of the frame cut off so the bed will sit flat. Still have the 14" gap between the bed and cab. I seriously considered makeing an ext. cab, but decided that was way too much work and way outside my abilities.

How she is now. Still have to clean up the welds, mount the tank and drill the bed mount holes. Problems with the machine work have held me up though.

More pics can be seen here: http://s91879901.onlinehome.us/gallery/bluex

Feel free to check them out and let me know what you think. I have pics of when the frame was cut, but I've been to lazy to up load them.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 06:49 AM   #2
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Job looks good so far. Keep the pictures coming.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 08:19 AM   #3
Blue Beard

Looked good at the start....looks like you've done alot of good work on her to this point...
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 08:21 AM   #4
bigblock73
yeller

Welcome to the board, good looking truck!

I think I recogzine you from FSC?

Also, did you take any pics of your frame shortening while you were doing it?
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 08:35 AM   #5
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Cool project. Welcome to the forums. A hop and a skip down the road from me I see.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 10:01 AM   #6
bluex

Jeff, Ya I've been hanging out at FSC. Someone sent me over here when I asked about the 3/4 length chevelle headers fitting our frames. Much more active forum here, kinda mad I didnt find it before. Ya I've got pics of the frame shorting and plan on having a whole how-to up at the site I listed above, I just need time to get the pics up, dial-up stinks!!

Mike, I just got my 700R4 from Trans Tech in Lincolnton. You ever done any business with them? Its gonna be another couple of weeks before I get it in and check it out though. It looks good though, they delivered it down here to me, took around a month go get though.

Future plans: Shave the marker lights in the new fenders and shave handles and locks in the new doors (Still have to get those). New inner fenders too, plus rockers floor pans and the pass. cab corner. I need most of this stuff b/c I got one of those macco paint jobs on it while I was in HS (I've had this truck since I was 14 and it was ruff when I got it)and I know its full of bondo where it had dents in the fenders and doors. Goodmark cowl hood, fill in the roof seams and rocker seams. Fill in those indents in the back of the cab. cap off both ends of the bed rails, '59 model tail lights, new front panel for the bed, oak floor with stainless stips all hidden bolts. Then top it all off in ford Sonic Blue. Oh no drip rails either. Thats all after I get it running and get the front end rebuilt. It will probably be five years before I get it painted though!

You guys have a lot of nice trucks here, hopefully they will keep me moviated, and my wallet empty!!
Old 06-14-2004, 01:22 PM   #7
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluex
Mike, I just got my 700R4 from Trans Tech in Lincolnton. You ever done any business with them?
Nope. First time I've ever heard the name. What brought you up this way to buy a tranny? Have you heard good things about them?
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 04:30 PM   #8
87Silvy

Lots of hard work went into that truck. Keep up the good work.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:16 AM   #9
bluex

Quote:
Originally Posted by swervin ervin
Nope. First time I've ever heard the name. What brought you up this way to buy a tranny? Have you heard good things about them?

Found him on ebay. Saw he was close to home and had 120+ positive feedbacks. $750 for the tranny and a 2000 oem vette lockup stall. Best price I've found on them. Hes up to $800 now. I guess thats the name of the shop, that what showed up on my caller id when he called to let me know he got my money and when he was telling me it was on the way. Just wondering if you knew of them. Everyone on ebay praises the trannys. Takes a while to get, but they all say its well worth the wait.

I've got all my parts here to wire up my lockup, and the engine kit came yesterday, so hopefully I'll be up and running soon!! :rock:
Old 06-16-2004, 11:48 AM   #10
8t5Silverado
Mudslides 'r my specialty

I'd be happy if my truck looked as good as the first pic...

I was planning on shortening mine as well, but I keep himming and hawwing.

I guess you did the cutting and welding yourself?

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/500339
8t5Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 12:09 PM   #11
bluex

I did the cutting, but I had a friend do the welding. I really need to learn how to do it myself though.

I dont have any of the before pics online, but the truck did not look anywhere near as good when I got it as it does in that first pic. Its been sitting about 2.5 yrs now since the motor blew up, so it really dosent look anywhere near as good to me. With some wax and elbow grease it will probably still shine up though. The colors wont match though!