The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2004, 11:59 AM   #1
BodyShopDropOut12
9 months

Question Transmission Q

I've been meaning to ask someone this question ever since i got truck. But, i don't know if this is normal on either this transmission or older autos, but my trans can easily slip out of gear. What i mean is that you really don't need to use the clutch to switch inbetween gears. I've never tried this while i was driving, but always noticed when it was turned off or just sitting. I've been told by ric that i have a sm465, its a 4spd including granny gear. It's never really shown any problems, just wondering if this is in fact a problem or its usual for this year and/or trans. Thanks, Chad
BodyShopDropOut12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 11:18 PM   #2
BodyShopDropOut12
9 months

ttt >>>>>>>>>>>
BodyShopDropOut12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 11:35 PM   #3
jimfulco

What you describe is normal. Manual trannys can be shifted without using the clutch ("dry-shifted" is the common term). If there is little or no load on the gears (not coasting, but not holding a steady speed or accelerating), you can slip it out of gear with very little effort. If the engine speed in neutral matches what it would be in, say, 2nd gear, you can slip it into 2nd gear without (usually) grinding. This takes a little practice, but it's not too hard. I'm not saying it's a good idea to do it this way, because it can cause transmission damage if it's not done right, but it is a good thing to know how to do in case your clutch linkage bites the dust. Or the throwout bearing eats through the clutch fingers. Beats walking by a long shot.
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote