The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2020, 10:51 AM   #1
DanJC

steering column location

Hanging the column in our S10 swap and have some questions...
Going to center it between the gauges. Someone had at one time put a sheet metal floor in the cab and the lower column mount (where it goes through the floor/firewall) is not there. Can someone post an approximate measurement off a known point (i.e. the dimmer switch) as to where to locate the hole? I am certain just setting the column in there in a comfortable spot would get me where I want to be I would just feel better knowing where the original was...
Thanks-
DanJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 11:37 AM   #2
Tempest67

Re: steering column location

I think you are best to hang the bracket for the brake pedal first, as it will support the steering column.

If you have no floor or firewall, I would think that installing it before you determine where your steering column would be easier
Attached Images

Tempest67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 02:12 PM   #3
mr48chev

One of the guys on FB who does a lot of frame swap trucks says he moves the column an inch and a half or so to the left (towards the outside) for exhaust clearance. I don't know what he is doing column wise on the inside.

From experience on mine when I did the space the box out to clear the V8 thing with the stock frame back in the 70's the wheel ends up at a slight angle if you keep it in the stock spot or is off center under the dash with the wheel closer to the door if you keep the column straight and rework the bracket. Then you have the pedals to deal with especially if you are running a clutch.

While under the dash of the 91 Dodge Grand Caravan we had for several years changing out the brake booster I discovered that those mini vans have U joints in the column under the dash to move the location where the column goes though the firewall several inches to the left and still keep the wheel in the right spot. I've never seen anyone use a setup like that on a truck or hot rod but It does have interesting possibilities. It would take some serious fabricating and thinking it out though.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:48 PM   #4
gigamanx

Here's where mine was stock. I didn't center. I found other pictures online and used the seams and curves of the floor panel to give me an idea of where its supposed to go. I would imagine you just want to nudge it over.

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 08:19 PM   #5
Jesse Z
Account Suspended

My answer to both these threads started by DanJC is that there is a dedicated S10 conversion thread on this forum. It seems that with all these guys copying one another's builds exactly that virtually every detail would have been covered and answered ad nauseum. I'd sure prefer to see all the S10 questions there instead of subjecting the rest of us to them.
Jesse Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 01:05 AM   #6
joedoh

I have my 48 cab out on my body cart, taking apart my s10 in the unseasonable warmth tomorrow, so I can get you that measurement while I am out there.

really if you have any kind of machinist square (or t square, or anything similar for woodworking or whatever) though you could lay it across the two steering column mount holes under the dash (to get it square on that axis) and then the other axis will point right at the firewall at the spot where the column is centered. you could even clamp a paint stir stick to it so it will TOUCH the firewall in the right spot.

just thinking out loud. check back tomorrow, I will see if I remember to measure for you haha.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote