The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2020, 10:53 AM   #1
bc65

1971 C10 BBC install

Hi everyone,

I have been a long time lurker here and have seen a lot of great things on this forum over the years. There is some incredible work being done on these trucks. I have a question about my current build.

I am in the process of working on a 1971 C10 short fleet that is down to the frame. This project is getting a BBC with overdrive. I have collected the 68 to 71 BBC engine mounts and cushions as well I have a stock auto trans cross member.

The engine mounts are in the stock location and bolted to the frame and the trans is supported at the height of the cross member. Then I placed and empty block and heads and trans case in the frame to check the fit and header clearance. It all looks good but I noticed that my engine angle to the frame seems odd to me. This has been rechecked many times over the last week.

I have approx. 1-3/4" clearance from the oil pan to the cross member and about 1-1/2" to the frame under the power steering pump. I rechecked the level of the frame in all directions and it is 0 deg. The carb pad on the intake is tilted back 3 deg from neutral. I checked the front of the block and the tail housing of the trans and this indicates 6 deg down to the rear.

I have seen a few BBC trucks over the years but never really thought to see how the engine sits in the truck. Now I am curious. Having all the factory equipment to mount this and here I am. I am sure there is someone out there that has a truck to do a visual and compare their set up.

Sorry for all the rambling but wanted to give a description of what I am seeing. Not able to post a photo at this time. Thanks to anyone who can help with some clarity to this question.
bc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:56 PM   #2
68bowtie

Re: 1971 C10 BBC install

Not an expert on this, but I think the important variable is that your rear end pinion angle matches your trans output angle. 6 degrees may be by design.

If you can figure out how to upload pictures of the engine and trans mounts/crossmembers that would sure help. If everything is bolted up, I can't imagine how it would be wrong, it's a 1-waything mainly except for a forward and a rear engine mount location which shouldn't affect what you're dealing with.

Name:  01.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  37.5 KB

Name:  02.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  51.2 KB

Survivor "Lil’ Mint" (67 c10 40k mile light green original paint)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh) SOLD
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh) SOLD
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 01:35 PM   #3
bc65

Thanks for the photos Bowtie,

That looks like what I have and the position is the same. I am unable to grab a photo as I packed it all away yesterday. Cold weather coming our way this week and I need the other half of the garage to park in. Hopefully next weekend I can get a photo.

My thoughts are the same of the design aspect. That may be just where they end up. Just wanted to be sure before I moved forward.
bc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 06:11 PM   #4
1970ChevC10

Photos form my 1970 C10 BBC Install. Details for the mounts I used are in the PM I sent earlier.
Attached Images

1970ChevC10 is offline   Reply With Quote