The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-17-2004, 06:04 PM   #1
69 Short Fleet

Unhappy Need Help !!!

My engine won't fire up!!!!!!! I'm at compression TDC, dizzy is pionting at #1,, Cyl Plug wires are correct, everything is new, getting spark, new fuel going to carb, coil is hooked up correctly..... WTF!!!!! For some reason the white wire (with the special rope jacket, that goes to the pos side on coil) seems to be getting hot to the touch. It fired up yesterday and idled for a few secs. and stoped on the 3rd try it backfired... looking at it further the dist was off by one tooth so I moved it to where it should be. The last time my truck ran was 5 years ago and it ran like a pos driving it home from the bodyshop, I NEED HELP PLEASE!
69 Short Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 07:44 PM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

It sounds like a component in your ignition is breaking down under load. I would recheck the points, (gap at .016 or 30 degrees dwell), replace the condenser. If that does not do it, I would replace the coil. If you have a way to test everything, that would be better yet.

Look at the plugs also to make sure they are not fouled.

I am assuming that the timing chain has not jumped but that is a possibility.

The white wire will get warm with the ignition on and the points closed.

Good luck!

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 10:51 PM   #3
69 Short Fleet

Thanks Jim: I got the beast (I was using different words this afternoon, lol) running! I had the rotor pointing between #2 cyl & #7 cyl for starters and I had a really hard time getting the dist. to sit flush on the manifold (finally got the stot on the pump lined up so it would go) Engine won't idle but I have not played with the dist or got my timing light on it yet (tommorow) and I'll set the dwell angle also (points are already gapped) Motor is making a "blower type sound" around the back of the heads/clutch area???? What's up with that? I hope to god I don't have a vacum leak around the back of the intake. Reagards Doug
69 Short Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote